1300 vs. 1500

Old December 5th 10, 12:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

Default 1300 vs. 1500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsVU...ayer_embedded#!
Old December 5th 10, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:48:18 +0100, Jan Andersson >
wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsVU...ayer_embedded#!

Ãœber cool!

J.

Old December 7th 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsVU...ayer_embedded#!

Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs in
67 .

Old December 7th 10, 12:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 12/7/2010 1:29 AM, DogDiesel wrote:
> "Jan > wrote in message
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsVU...ayer_embedded#!

> Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs in
> 67 .

A dramatic change in body style. The headlights were following the
curve of the fender until 67 (68 in Europe) and then they were mounted
upright. (Uglier, to many). Also they changed the electrical system to 12V.
Old December 7th 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:11:48 +0100, Jan Andersson >
wrote:

> On 12/7/2010 1:29 AM, DogDiesel wrote:
>> "Jan > wrote in message
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsVU...ayer_embedded#!

>> Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs
>> in
>> 67 .
>>

> A dramatic change in body style. The headlights were following the
> curve of the fender until 67 (68 in Europe) and then they were mounted
> upright. (Uglier, to many). Also they changed the electrical system to
> 12V.

Not to be picky, but there are exceptions to the 12V changeover date.
I do not have the exact info, but know for sure there where sold '
Standard's in Germany with a 6V system after 67.
My aunt and uncle had one here in Norway, think it was a -68, a bitch to
get parts for, special starter, dynamo and flywheel/clutch ??

J.
Old December 7th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

DogDiesel wrote:

> Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs in
> 67 .

They got much better from around then in my opinion.

With 12V electrics, you could at last see at night. And the
cross-drilled crankshafts were a big improvement for operation in
the tropics especially.

John
Old December 7th 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

DogDiesel wrote:

> Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs in
> 67 .

And I forgot to mention the use of ball joints on later models
instead of the king and link pins which needed frequent
replacement.

Perhaps they mean the use of coil springs instead of torsion bars
on the front of the superbug models? In which case, I agree.

John
Old December 13th 10, 08:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 07/12/10 17:32, P.J.Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:11:48 +0100, Jan Andersson >
> wrote:
>>>
>>> Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs in
>>> 67 .
>>>

>> A dramatic change in body style. The headlights were following the curve
>> of the fender until 67 (68 in Europe) and then they were mounted upright.
>> (Uglier, to many). Also they changed the electrical system to 12V.

Not very dramatic imho but noticeable: Earlier models had much smaller
windows and bulky pillars. I like those more.

On the other hand you got 12V electrics on newer ones and I see that as
lights and (modern) radio, for everything else it doesn't matter so much.

I wouldn't see 12V conversion in a hobby car (older than 68) as a major
crime, though, it can be done with very few visible changes. It's also quite
easy to convert back if you want to do a restoration to period correct car.

<random story>

My smaller Ghia (typ14) has been nothing more than a rolling chassis at
some point (and it's using parts from several cars), so it has been easy to
convert it to 12V electrics then. It hopefully will run a 1915cc engine with
middle dual Dellorto in next summer.

Installation was planned for summer 2010 but I didn't have time nor
transportation: Engine is in my living room (!) and rest of the car is in
winter storage 150 miles away. Trailer needs a towing car and that was under
repairs whole summer.

In autumn I had my hands full with T34 so everything else was stalled.

Schedule for next spring is still open, I think I first put t14 together and
running and then t34, it needs a lot of work until it's in condition it can
be used as a daily driver.

</story>
--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2

1966 VW 1300 ArieV Auto Photos 0 December 30th 07 05:47 PM
Increasing a 1300 to 1600 Mel P. VW air cooled 4 September 4th 07 04:51 PM
1300 script ostaz VW air cooled 7 February 17th 07 06:48 AM
1300 to 1600 Joao Eliseu VW air cooled 4 February 26th 05 04:27 PM
1300 to 1600 Joao Eliseu VW air cooled 8 January 8th 05 10:17 PM