Air Conditioner Transplant Question

Old May 21st 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

Default Air Conditioner Transplant Question

I'm close to completing the restoration of my 1980 Honda Civic, and with
the hot weather just weeks if not days away, an A/C system would be a
welcome addition. Trouble is, A/C components for this car are either
expensive or impossible to find, due to it's age. So I'm wondering... is it
possible to transplant an air conditioning system from another, newer Honda
or even a different make altogether? I suspect it's mostly a matter of
improvising to get things to mount or fit. This vehicle of mine has lots of
free space under the hood, but not so much under the dashboard, where the
evaporator unit has to be installed. As for other things like the compressor
bracket etc, I have access to a machine shop where I can make just about
anything I need. Then there's the matter of draining / recharging the
system, but I suspect this will be one of the easier aspects of such a
project, especially since recharge kits can be purchased for under $100.
So I guess my main question is this: what air conditioning system, from a
Honda or any newer vehicle, would be closest in size / fittings to that of a
1980 Civic? Also, which might be easier to remove from a scrap car - I don't
want to spend a whole day at the junkyard wasting time and raising my blood
pressure.
Thanks for any advice.

Old May 21st 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Most junkyards have access to cross reference books that will tell
you which compressors, etc, are direct fits.

You can buy "universal" compressors, etc, new if you are not trying
to do this swap on the cheap. You can probably even find an
aftermarket kit that will fit.

You CAN transplant a variety of components to your car, but it
will be trial and error, and the worst bridge to cross will be the
evaporator/blower unit. Re KIT, an underdash unit, if there is
room for it, might be your best bet.
Old May 21st 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

Believe it or not, I found a salvage business nearby that sells complete
(salvaged) A/C systems for $50, already removed from vehicles. That will be
the first place I check out, for sure.
I figure this project will be challenging, but not impossible. And it's well
worth it when the temperature hits the triple digits.....

Old May 21st 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Chris F." > wrote in message
> Believe it or not, I found a salvage business nearby that sells complete
> (salvaged) A/C systems for $50, already removed from vehicles. That will
> be the first place I check out, for sure.
> I figure this project will be challenging, but not impossible. And it's
> well worth it when the temperature hits the triple digits.....

As I currently live in Texas, and find the weather absolutely miserable in
the summer, I can identify with your remarks.

However, an 80 model Civic is getting a bit long in the tooth to spend a
lot of money on, IMO. Sometimes though we have to work with what
we have.

Definitely if this guy has something that will fit your car for $50, it is a
good start.

I would rather take an enema that work under the dash on a small car
like this..but I am sure you can solve it given a little time and some
Bandaids.

Old May 21st 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

> I would rather take an enema that work under the dash on a small car
> like this..but I am sure you can solve it given a little time and some
> Bandaids.

The factory manual actually specifies that the dash be removed for this
procedure, and outlines how to do so. Much easier than working under it....

Old May 21st 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Chris F." > wrote in message

>> I would rather take an enema that work under the dash on a small car
>> like this..but I am sure you can solve it given a little time and some
>> Bandaids.

> The factory manual actually specifies that the dash be removed for this
> procedure, and outlines how to do so. Much easier than working under
> it....

So you say...have you actually done it?

Old May 22nd 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

I had to remove the dashboard from my '89 Civic to do some work, and that
was no big deal... I think there were about 5 or 6 bolts to remove and then
it simply lifts out. The steering wheel must be removed but that's easy too.

"hls" > wrote in message

> "Chris F." > wrote in message
>>
>>> I would rather take an enema that work under the dash on a small car
>>> like this..but I am sure you can solve it given a little time and some
>>> Bandaids.

>> The factory manual actually specifies that the dash be removed for this
>> procedure, and outlines how to do so. Much easier than working under
>> it....

> So you say...have you actually done it?

air conditioner question stevie Ford Explorer 1 September 13th 06 12:52 PM
Air Conditioner Question Richard Chrysler 2 May 9th 06 10:50 PM
Air conditioner question Mackie Mazda 2 August 27th 05 04:56 PM
air conditioner question Kenneth Fields Chrysler 0 May 27th 05 09:02 PM
E36 heater/air conditioner air flow question news BMW 3 October 24th 04 01:37 PM