1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

Old January 13th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default 1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:12:36 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> "Chris F." > wrote in
> :
>
>> This car, however, may
>> have been run for up to 17 years and over 90,000km without an oil
>> change.... so perhaps the prognosis isn't good.

> 90,000km is 55,000 miles.
>
> Unless the previous owner was diligent enough to top the oil up as needed,
> it's _highly_ unlikely the engine has gone that distance with no oil
> changes.
>
> Even brand-new engines don't make it much past 40,000 miles on the
> original oil fill before locking up solid.
>
> Visible smoke reasons? Stuck ring, broken ring, torn/worn valve guide oil
> seal, plugged crankcase breather system and tons of oil in the intake...
>
> Any oil in the air cleaner? Sludge in the PCV system?
>
> Why don't you drain the old oil out and see what it looks like?

And if it's attracted to magnets...

Old January 13th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

This project seemed to be nearly wrapped up, with little more than a paint
job remaining to be done. But as I mentioned in a previous post regarding
the carburetor, the engine had stopped running and would only flood when I
tried to start it. I have since taken the carb all apart and thoroughly
cleaned it, as well as checked for things like leaking diaphragms etc. I
also changed the spark plugs and checked for other ignition problems. While
I had the carb out, the thought occured to check the oil level, since I
hadn't yet done so. I was shocked to find only a drop on the end of the
dipstick - it looks like the last owner not only didn't change the oil, but
didn't even bother to check it. So just temporarily, I dumped in a quart of
5W30, all I had handy, not knowing what type of oil was already in it. Once
the carb was back on, the engine once again was able to start and remain
running, though with some idling issues due to the carb being out of
adjustment (another story). But this time, the engine was burning oil -
enough to produce a visible smoke. Now I'm worried it may need an engine
rebuild.... but oddly, it wasn't burning oil at all before - not even enough
to produce an oily smell in the exhaust. So I'm wondering if it has more to
do with the oil being dirty, or perhaps having more than one type mixed
together. It reminds me of an old lawn mower we had when I was a kid, it
used to belch clouds of smoke every time it was started, until someone
finally changed the oil (for the first time in 7 or 8 years) and then it ran
like new again. This car, however, may have been run for up to 17 years and
over 90,000km without an oil change.... so perhaps the prognosis isn't good.
Thanks for any advice.

Old January 13th 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_4_]

On 1/13/2010 9:20 AM, Chris F. wrote:
> This project seemed to be nearly wrapped up, with little more than a paint
> job remaining to be done. But as I mentioned in a previous post regarding
> the carburetor, the engine had stopped running and would only flood when I
> tried to start it. I have since taken the carb all apart and thoroughly
> cleaned it, as well as checked for things like leaking diaphragms etc. I
> also changed the spark plugs and checked for other ignition problems. While
> I had the carb out, the thought occured to check the oil level, since I
> hadn't yet done so. I was shocked to find only a drop on the end of the
> dipstick - it looks like the last owner not only didn't change the oil, but
> didn't even bother to check it. So just temporarily, I dumped in a quart of
> 5W30, all I had handy, not knowing what type of oil was already in it. Once
> the carb was back on, the engine once again was able to start and remain
> running, though with some idling issues due to the carb being out of
> adjustment (another story). But this time, the engine was burning oil -
> enough to produce a visible smoke. Now I'm worried it may need an engine
> rebuild.... but oddly, it wasn't burning oil at all before - not even enough
> to produce an oily smell in the exhaust. So I'm wondering if it has more to
> do with the oil being dirty, or perhaps having more than one type mixed
> together. It reminds me of an old lawn mower we had when I was a kid, it
> used to belch clouds of smoke every time it was started, until someone
> finally changed the oil (for the first time in 7 or 8 years) and then it ran
> like new again. This car, however, may have been run for up to 17 years and
> over 90,000km without an oil change.... so perhaps the prognosis isn't good.
> Thanks for any advice.

Change the oil, expect the car to burn some oil and don't worry. It's
all perfectly natural.
Old January 13th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"Chris F." > wrote in
:

--
Tegger

Old January 13th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:42:27 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= > wrote
> in news >
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:12:36 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>>

>>> Why don't you drain the old oil out and see what it looks like?

>> And if it's attracted to magnets...
>>

> Or if it doesn't come out at all...

That's what I was thinking when I read the OP...

Chris..I have a bunch of cars from the 80's. All Japanese, and I really
like them. I may put some serious effort into the Supra, but the rest?

Your car is 30 years old. Some people (yours included) like them. Most
would say, How long before it goes to the junkyard?

Put oil in it. Drive it. Add more oil when necessary. Change the oil every
3-4,000 miles. Enjoy it. Then kiss it goodbye when it throws a rod...

Old January 13th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:34:12 -0500, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:42:27 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>
>> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
>> wrote in news >>

>>> And if it's attracted to magnets...
>>>

>> Or if it doesn't come out at all...

> That's what I was thinking when I read the OP...
>

> Chris..I have a bunch of cars from the 80's. All Japanese, and I really
> like them. I may put some serious effort into the Supra, but the rest?
>
> Your car is 30 years old. Some people (yours included) like them. Most
> would say, How long before it goes to the junkyard?

Um, let's try, "yours truly". Sounds better that way...

Old January 13th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Old January 13th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Chris F." > wrote in message news:4b4e1d1e$0$5333
Alot of those early Civic engines used up valve guide seals like crazy.
They would just crumble in your hands.

You may have worse problems, but go a little further and see if it may not
be
as bad as you nightmare about.

Old January 14th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris F.

> Visible smoke reasons? Stuck ring, broken ring, torn/worn valve guide oil
> seal, plugged crankcase breather system and tons of oil in the intake...
>
> Any oil in the air cleaner? Sludge in the PCV system?
>
> Why don't you drain the old oil out and see what it looks like?
>

> --
> Tegger

Obviously I intend to change the oil and filter before lowering the car,
and once driveable I intend to tow it to a buddy's garage where I can work
on it more easily. Ever tried to work on a vehicle in the snow in
mid-January? I've spent more time shoveling snow than working on the car
itself... no wonder I'm making such slow progress.

Old January 14th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"Chris F." > wrote in
:

>> Visible smoke reasons? Stuck ring, broken ring, torn/worn valve guide
>> oil seal, plugged crankcase breather system and tons of oil in the
>> intake...
>>
>> Any oil in the air cleaner? Sludge in the PCV system?
>>
>> Why don't you drain the old oil out and see what it looks like?
>>

> Obviously I intend to change the oil and filter before lowering the
> car,
> and once driveable I intend to tow it to a buddy's garage where I can
> work on it more easily. Ever tried to work on a vehicle in the snow in
> mid-January?

Oh yeah. I live in Ontario. Pretty much all I do in the winter is oil
changes, on account of the snow and cold.

Today was an exception. My left-hand front signal lamp has been collecting
condensation, so I decided to clean it out. By the end of that, I could
barely move my fingers.

--
Tegger

Honda 1980 Civic Fuel Tank Connections Tegger[_2_] Technology 8 November 19th 09 12:00 AM
Triumphs - File 18 of 20 - 1980 VW Rabbit cabriolet (1980-93) 1024x.jpg (1/1) guest Auto Photos 0 March 9th 07 10:26 PM
What burns cleaner? DB General 0 December 24th 06 03:59 AM
Adding XM to 05 Civic [email protected] Honda 5 November 16th 05 01:58 AM
Wiper fluid ... it burns it burns!! Caden Mazda 5 September 14th 04 08:16 PM