1987 Mustang Blower Motor Replacement

Old February 4th 05, 04:18 AM
Danish

Default 1987 Mustang Blower Motor Replacement

Hi Guys

How do I go about replacing the blower motor? Its winter here in
Toronto and driving to work each morning without heating has rendered
my sperm useless. I must become fertile again, please help.

Do I have to remove the dash in order to replace the motor? Or is
removing the glove just fine?

How do I go about this?

Thanks,

Danish
Old February 4th 05, 10:44 PM
Stuart & Janet

You're going to be pulling the console dash etal.and the entire heater box
out. The motor is bolted to the front of the heater box hidden up against
the firewall. I've done it three times for a core. I don't envy you. Good
Luck StuK

om...

Old February 5th 05, 04:07 AM
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Stuart & Janet > wrote:

> You're going to be pulling the console dash etal.and the entire heater box
> out.

I don't know, I did this exact replacement in my 1991 GT and didn't have
to remove the dash. Oh sure, it would have made it a lot less cramped,
but it wasn't necessary and the factory manual didn't call for doing it
either, so I didn't. The 1987 and the 1991 are pretty close internally
(I should know, I have one of each) so you might get away with not having
to yank the dash. I'd say try it without yanking it, and if it doesn't
work, yank the dash.

I did have to remove the plastic box to which the blower motor is attached,
and I did have to drop down the glove box door to get at all the wiring
and bolts. But as I recall there were two bolts under the dash between
the blower box and the rest of the venting that could be removed by lying
on the floor, and then there were a few more that had to be removed through
the glove box. I'm sure there were a couple others as well. It was easier
to take the thing out than it was to put it back in, it was a definite
contortionist act in the end. But, I definitely was able to do it, and
it took a total of about three or four hours as I recall.

Two things to watch out for, though. First, there's a rubber hose that
goes from the pressurized side of the blower back to the windings that
is used for (I assume) cooling. This hose is not the same for all years,
as I found out. The replacement motor I bought did not work with the hose
from the 1991, it required the version from the 1987. So be sure to
compare the placement of the holes on the new motor versus the old motor.
Second, there was one of those push retainer thingiemabobbers that held
the plastic blower fan on the shaft of the motor. This thing got destroyed
while trying to remove it, and I had to buy a few more at the local auto
repair store. I believe they were called "push nuts" when I finally found
a pack of them.

Good luck with the project, and may your boys thaw before the spring!

Old February 5th 05, 07:57 PM
Stuart & Janet

To be more specific I was doing a heater core which requires access to the
top rather than the back.
Well, I hope he can do it by just loosening up things. If you go into the
engine bay you could loosen the nuts for the box and draw the box back a bit
for more access also there is a bolt through the firewall on the inside by
the passengers left foot area needs removing too. Even removing the dash
bolts may allow you to pull just the passenger side dash out a bit. HTH
StuK

Old February 7th 05, 05:59 AM
Jeffery Privott

I just replaced one about 7 month's ago on a 94gt and only had to go under
the glove box. It's not a difficult job if nearly set up like the 94 model.

Ninja
om...