Dead Hot

Old January 20th 05, 11:42 AM
Smegggg (John)

Default Dead Hot

Ok, so Oz is a lot hotter in Summer than Germany but any ideas on what
happened to Verna the 78 Kombi the other day?

She was parked in the driveway at home all day and the temp maxed out
at 39.5 Deg C (103 Deg F) around 3 pm. At about 4.30 pm I arrived
home jumped in and started her up as normal, she always fires 1st go,
and then drove off. I was going about 10 minutes up the road to visit
my Mum in the Nursing Home and was there just over an hour. When I
came out to not much cooler temps there was a resounding silence from
Verna when I tried to start her.

Now we're talking no crank, no click of a solenoid, no clatter of a
starter not engaging properly, just nothing. The Battery and Oil
lights on the dash came on and dimed slightly when I pressed that
starter indicating load.

The previous owner never replaced anything that broke so when the
ignition switch wouldn't operate past the "on" position he had a
starter button wired in on the dash. I even pulled this out and
shorted it in case it had gone U/S.

I waited and tried a couple more times then tried clutch-starting it
by rolling it across the carpark but still no luck so I left it there
and got a cab home.

Next morning in the cool at about 6.30 am I went back ready to have it
towed to my mechanic, but suspecting it would start to spite me and
sure enough she fired first go and each time since ( about 3 days
now).

So is this typical of air-cooled engines (as a friend claims or is he
just a water cooled ******) not liking extreme heat or could it be a
sign of something more serious?

To me it has to be electrical, and having worked in electronics I
figure it will probably turn out to be "Intermittant" the scurge of
every service technician in every industry because it will never fail
during business hours, close to help, of in front of witnesses.

Any suggestions or forcasts of doom appreciated.

John (Smegggg)
The Bay from OZ

(Verna 1978 Bay)
Old January 20th 05, 02:00 PM
jjs

"Smegggg (John)" > wrote in message

> So is this typical of air-cooled engines (as a friend claims or is he
> just a water cooled ******) not liking extreme heat or could it be a
> sign of something more serious?

It is not typical of air-cooled engines, and methinks you are on target to
check the electrics.

Old January 20th 05, 09:07 PM
Jeremy Elwell

Smegggg (John) wrote:

> Ok, so Oz is a lot hotter in Summer than Germany but any ideas on what
> happened to Verna the 78 Kombi the other day?
>
> She was parked in the driveway at home all day and the temp maxed out
> at 39.5 Deg C (103 Deg F) around 3 pm. At about 4.30 pm I arrived
> home jumped in and started her up as normal, she always fires 1st go,
> and then drove off. I was going about 10 minutes up the road to visit
> my Mum in the Nursing Home and was there just over an hour. When I
> came out to not much cooler temps there was a resounding silence from
> Verna when I tried to start her.
>
> Now we're talking no crank, no click of a solenoid, no clatter of a
> starter not engaging properly, just nothing. The Battery and Oil
> lights on the dash came on and dimed slightly when I pressed that
> starter indicating load.
>
> The previous owner never replaced anything that broke so when the
> ignition switch wouldn't operate past the "on" position he had a
> starter button wired in on the dash. I even pulled this out and
> shorted it in case it had gone U/S.
>
> I waited and tried a couple more times then tried clutch-starting it
> by rolling it across the carpark but still no luck so I left it there
> and got a cab home.
>
> Next morning in the cool at about 6.30 am I went back ready to have it
> towed to my mechanic, but suspecting it would start to spite me and
> sure enough she fired first go and each time since ( about 3 days
> now).
>
> So is this typical of air-cooled engines (as a friend claims or is he
> just a water cooled ******) not liking extreme heat or could it be a
> sign of something more serious?
>
> To me it has to be electrical, and having worked in electronics I
> figure it will probably turn out to be "Intermittant" the scurge of
> every service technician in every industry because it will never fail
> during business hours, close to help, of in front of witnesses.
>
> Any suggestions or forcasts of doom appreciated.
>
> John (Smegggg)
> The Bay from OZ
>
> (Verna 1978 Bay)

I had a 74 std bug in california that would do that. If I drove it too long
or too much freeway time. It would need a good couple of hours before it
would start again. Eventually I think the starter went out and I never got
around to replacing it, just push started it. I don't know maybe the heat
effected something in the starter, but I didn't drive that often to worry
about it.

jeremy
Old January 21st 05, 04:18 AM
Grahame Rumballe

G'day John,

No, not typical of air-cooled engines!
I agree with your diagnosis - it was "Murphy".

But, I would check/service your battery, battery connections etc & starter.

Grahame
from Aus - Brisbane

Old January 23rd 05, 01:06 AM
vic20owner

> Now we're talking no crank, no click of a solenoid, no clatter of a
> starter not engaging properly, just nothing. The Battery and Oil
> lights on the dash came on and dimed slightly when I pressed that
> starter indicating load.

Loose battery terminal, failing starter (solenoid), or dirty connection
to starter solenoid from ignition. Had this problem recently.. could
start by shorting the starter terminals, but not using the ignition
switch. Tried cleaning contacts with limited success. Replacing the
starter fixed the problem.

-tom
Old January 26th 05, 02:32 AM
Smegggg (John)

Hi All,

Thanks for your imput, can alway rely on this group to be a life-line
even if I don't post very often I read heaps!

Happy Oz Day, for the locals!

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:42:48 +0800, "Smegggg (John)"