A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Mazda
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Smoke after spark plug change



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 18th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Han08
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Smoke after spark plug change

Hi,

First post so if I waffle, bear with me! We have just had our spark plugs
changed and she drove back fine from the garage but on starting her this
morning, plumes of smoke bellowed from the exhaust, smelt a little like
something was burning. We also just changed the oil and filter the day
before..... have the spark plugs been put in incorrectly, threaded
perhaps?

Ads
  #2  
Old April 19th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Smoke after spark plug change

Han08 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First post so if I waffle, bear with me! We have just had our spark plugs
> changed and she drove back fine from the garage but on starting her this
> morning, plumes of smoke bellowed from the exhaust, smelt a little like
> something was burning. We also just changed the oil and filter the day
> before..... have the spark plugs been put in incorrectly, threaded
> perhaps?
>

I don't know anything about plugs but could it be that you put to much
oil on the car?

Kind regards
Bruno
  #3  
Old April 19th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 733
Default Smoke after spark plug change

See if it keeps doing it or if it was a one time thing. Let us know.

Chris
99BBB

"Bruno" > wrote in message
k...
> Han08 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First post so if I waffle, bear with me! We have just had our spark
>> plugs
>> changed and she drove back fine from the garage but on starting her this
>> morning, plumes of smoke bellowed from the exhaust, smelt a little like
>> something was burning. We also just changed the oil and filter the day
>> before..... have the spark plugs been put in incorrectly, threaded
>> perhaps?
>>

> I don't know anything about plugs but could it be that you put to much oil
> on the car?
>
> Kind regards
> Bruno



  #4  
Old April 19th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Han08
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Smoke after spark plug change

Hi again

Thanks for your suggestions, she threw out smoke for a good few miles
until she had warmed up a bit then it let up, and shes been less smokey
from cold today. Weve checked the plugs and they are all fine (thank
goodness), apparently it could possibly be the cat which isnt too bad as
we wanted to de-cat anyway in the fullness of time, we will keep an eye on
it and ill let you know of any developments...

Hannah

  #5  
Old April 20th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 733
Default Smoke after spark plug change

Might not be a bad time to run a jug of fuel treatment thru her!

Chris
99BBB

"Han08" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hi again
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, she threw out smoke for a good few miles
> until she had warmed up a bit then it let up, and shes been less smokey
> from cold today. Weve checked the plugs and they are all fine (thank
> goodness), apparently it could possibly be the cat which isnt too bad as
> we wanted to de-cat anyway in the fullness of time, we will keep an eye on
> it and ill let you know of any developments...
>
> Hannah
>



  #6  
Old May 14th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mike
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default Smoke after spark plug change


"Han08" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hi,
>
> First post so if I waffle, bear with me! We have just had our spark plugs
> changed and she drove back fine from the garage but on starting her this
> morning, plumes of smoke bellowed from the exhaust, smelt a little like
> something was burning. We also just changed the oil and filter the day
> before..... have the spark plugs been put in incorrectly, threaded
> perhaps?
>


I have to wonder if there is a leak in the valve cover gasket that left oil
in one of the spark plug wells....mine was the back one.

It could be that when the mechanic removed the spark plug on that cylinder,
the oil in that well went into the cylinder? Just a wild guess. You could
pull each of the plug wires and see if one is all full of oil to confirm my
guess.

I am also thinking that the smoke has stopped already after a fairly short
time.


  #7  
Old May 15th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 241
Default Smoke after spark plug change

Now wait just a little. How in the world would oil from a leak in the
valve cover around the spark plug make it's way around the spark plug
seal, down the threads and into the cyl. chamber ??? Now if you said it
shorted out the plug, I would go along. Unless the plug is loose, there
just "ain't" no way to do that.

I guess he better go tighten up all the plugs ?????


Bruce Bing '03 LS

  #8  
Old May 15th 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 249
Default Smoke after spark plug change

Why were the plugs changed? (Symptoms, or just mileage?)

The plug well was full of oil when the old plug was pulled? (I would think
that even a short period of operation would burn the oil off.)
Somehow oil got/is getting into the intake, perhaps via the cam cover vent
hoses? (If the PCV valve is sticking, oil might make it into the intake.)

The plug or plug wire is loose? (The Engine should run rough)
A plug wire is bad? (Might be due to pulling on the wire to change the
plugs) (The Engine should run rough at times)


"BRUCE HASKIN" > wrote in message
...
> Now wait just a little. How in the world would oil from a leak in the
> valve cover around the spark plug make it's way around the spark plug
> seal, down the threads and into the cyl. chamber ??? Now if you said it
> shorted out the plug, I would go along. Unless the plug is loose, there
> just "ain't" no way to do that.
>
> I guess he better go tighten up all the plugs ?????
>
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS
>



  #9  
Old May 15th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Smoke after spark plug change

On Apr 18, 6:41 am, "Han08" > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First post so if I waffle, bear with me! We have just had our spark plugs
> changed and she drove back fine from the garage but on starting her this
> morning, plumes of smoke bellowed from the exhaust, smelt a little like
> something was burning. We also just changed the oil and filter the day
> before..... have the spark plugs been put in incorrectly, threaded
> perhaps?


I have had this happen after changing the spark plugs. I attributed it
to excessive anti-seize compound I put on the spark plug threads
before insertion. A quick run at high RPMs alleviated the smoke and
smell.

Gary

  #10  
Old September 17th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jeff[_65_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Smoke after spark plug change

replying to Mike, Jeff wrote:
Excessive smoke caused by oil in the well. In addition my #2 plug wire was
loose at the rail. Problem solved. Thanks.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/mazda-mia...ange-6245-.htm


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
156 spark plug change R D S Alfa Romeo 34 September 5th 06 01:12 PM
Spark Plug change in an '04 Durango lcarr Dodge 8 August 21st 06 04:59 PM
Spark plug change - 99 T & C Frank Boettcher Chrysler 8 June 4th 06 09:54 PM
Change spark plug bluemarble Technology 34 January 17th 06 01:35 AM
99 528i Spark Plug Change [email protected] BMW 8 December 18th 05 06:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.