Old Vinyl Softener?

Old June 18th 09, 08:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

Default Old Vinyl Softener?

OK.... I just picked up a pair of near pristine 1969 seats that were lost
in a storage building for a long long time. The vinyl is very "stiff" and
before I clean the seats or armor-all the seats or whatever - I want to know
what to spray / soak them with to soften them up a good amount.

Thanks in advance...

-W

Old June 21st 09, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> OK.... I just picked up a pair of near pristine 1969 seats that were lost
> in a storage building for a long long time. The vinyl is very "stiff" and
> before I clean the seats or armor-all the seats or whatever - I want to

know
> what to spray / soak them with to soften them up a good amount.
>
> Thanks in advance...

Hmmmm, I guess no one here has softened any vinyl.

-W

Old June 22nd 09, 02:49 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Clams Canino" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>> OK.... I just picked up a pair of near pristine 1969 seats that were
>> lost
>> in a storage building for a long long time. The vinyl is very "stiff"
>> and
>> before I clean the seats or armor-all the seats or whatever - I want to

> know
>> what to spray / soak them with to soften them up a good amount.
>>
>> Thanks in advance...

> Hmmmm, I guess no one here has softened any vinyl.
>
> -W

I have, cut the hog rings and install new, even if you do manage to soften
it the stitching will then let go. BTDT

Old June 23rd 09, 03:40 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> I have, cut the hog rings and install new, even if you do manage to soften
> it the stitching will then let go. BTDT

I was afraid you'd say something like that. If I get even a year out of
them before recovering - that $400-$600 I save this year depending on foam.
And personally, now that you told me the 79-82 seats will bolt in... my eyes
are open for a set in black - as I like them much better.

I got the car down to SC last week. And I was somewhat appalled what 5
years in storage has done. I did take it for about a 2 mile blast before
ensconsing it in it's new garage.

Being a late 68 (so late it has the door pulls) with non-matching numbers,
it's kinda "anything goes" to "restore" it.

It's getting the 70's cut pile carpeting and '77 up sport mirrors. The '69
seats aren't much blasphemy, if you can tell the difference between
comforweave and basketweave. I kinda like the headrests better anyway.
There's enough NCRS types out there, it's been my driver for 30 years and it
will remain such - I just want it very VERY refreshed for this round.

Phase one is looking like about 3k-4k to replace all the suspension, put an
L88 long style hood on it (anticipating a 427 later) , fix or refinish
everything that's broken, and paint it.

Repower and any tranny changes will have to wait until at least a couple
years when I have some "extra" money. 3-4k is the absolute budget for this
round.

-W

Old June 23rd 09, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message
m...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> I have, cut the hog rings and install new, even if you do manage to
>> soften
>> it the stitching will then let go. BTDT

> I was afraid you'd say something like that. If I get even a year out of
> them before recovering - that $400-$600 I save this year depending on
> foam.
> And personally, now that you told me the 79-82 seats will bolt in... my
> eyes
> are open for a set in black - as I like them much better.
>
> I got the car down to SC last week. And I was somewhat appalled what 5
> years in storage has done. I did take it for about a 2 mile blast before
> ensconsing it in it's new garage.
>
> Being a late 68 (so late it has the door pulls) with non-matching numbers,
> it's kinda "anything goes" to "restore" it.
>
> It's getting the 70's cut pile carpeting and '77 up sport mirrors. The '69
> seats aren't much blasphemy, if you can tell the difference between
> comforweave and basketweave. I kinda like the headrests better anyway.
> There's enough NCRS types out there, it's been my driver for 30 years and
> it
> will remain such - I just want it very VERY refreshed for this round.
>
> Phase one is looking like about 3k-4k to replace all the suspension, put
> an
> L88 long style hood on it (anticipating a 427 later) , fix or refinish
> everything that's broken, and paint it.
>
> Repower and any tranny changes will have to wait until at least a couple
> years when I have some "extra" money. 3-4k is the absolute budget for
> this
> round.

Best of luck with your efforts. With the '93 I decided to do with it what I
want and keep all the original stuff in case I ever decide to sell, which I
doubt I ever will. She just got new 5-spoke chrome, C6-style wheels today.
I love the way it dresses her up, and I'm going to have the originals
restored to new and put them away.

Next is spark plugs and wires - routine stuff, but it's past time. Some
gaskets need to be replaced. Also, my 1-4 skip shift defeater has died for
some reason.............On and on....

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old June 23rd 09, 04:19 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

Default Seats - was Old Vinyl Softener

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message

> And personally, now that you told me the 79-82 seats will bolt in... my

eyes
> are open for a set in black - as I like them much better.

Real quickly, can you confirm that 79-82 seats will bolt right into '68
Vette?
Are ergonomics to the pedals and wheel "about" the same?

-W

Old June 23rd 09, 05:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
Snipped what da thread was about.......
> Best of luck with your efforts. With the '93 I decided to do with
> it what I want and keep all the original stuff in case I ever decide
> to sell, which I doubt I ever will. She just got new 5-spoke
> chrome, C6-style wheels today. I love the way it dresses her up, and
> I'm going to have the originals restored to new and put them away.
>
> Next is spark plugs and wires - routine stuff, but it's past time.
> Some gaskets need to be replaced. Also, my 1-4 skip shift defeater
> has died for some reason.............On and on....
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Radio Shack 2.2k - Ohm 1/2 watt with 5% tolerance, pack of 5 for $2.
put in the 1-4 connector to the computer and tape it over. Still have
4 from nearly 5 years ago.

Save your money on the wheel restore, store them right and forget
about ever getting any value out of them. Way to many people doing the
same thing you are so their value will come right after we get an
honest congress.

Old June 23rd 09, 01:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "CardsFan" > wrote in message
> Snipped what da thread was about.......
>> Best of luck with your efforts. With the '93 I decided to do with it
>> what I want and keep all the original stuff in case I ever decide to
>> sell, which I doubt I ever will. She just got new 5-spoke chrome,
>> C6-style wheels today. I love the way it dresses her up, and I'm going to
>> have the originals restored to new and put them away.
>>
>> Next is spark plugs and wires - routine stuff, but it's past time. Some
>> gaskets need to be replaced. Also, my 1-4 skip shift defeater has died
>> for some reason.............On and on....
>>
>> AJM
>> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

> Radio Shack 2.2k - Ohm 1/2 watt with 5% tolerance, pack of 5 for $2. put
> in the 1-4 connector to the computer and tape it over. Still have 4 from
> nearly 5 years ago.

Hey, thanks! I'll do that.

> Save your money on the wheel restore, store them right and forget about
> ever getting any value out of them. Way to many people doing the same
> thing you are so their value will come right after we get an honest
> congress.

HA! A non-sequitur to join "jumbo shrimp" "instant classic" and "detailed
summary."

Yes, the wheels are put away in the backyard shed and will remain there for
a looooooong time. I was thinking too that if anyone wanted
perfect-right-off-the-assembly line that THEY can restore the wheels. Is
there any reason to put silica gel packets in the boxes?

I think I've found a small leak in the water pump...

Old June 23rd 09, 01:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

>>> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

>> Radio Shack 2.2k - Ohm 1/2 watt with 5% tolerance, pack of 5 for
>> $2. put in the 1-4 connector to the computer and tape it over.
>> Still have 4 from nearly 5 years ago.

> Hey, thanks! I'll do that.
>
>> Save your money on the wheel restore, store them right and forget
>> about ever getting any value out of them. Way to many people doing
>> the same thing you are so their value will come right after we get
>> an honest congress.

> HA! A non-sequitur to join "jumbo shrimp" "instant classic" and
> "detailed summary."
>
> Yes, the wheels are put away in the backyard shed and will remain
> there for a looooooong time. I was thinking too that if anyone
> wanted perfect-right-off-the-assembly line that THEY can restore the
> wheels. Is there any reason to put silica gel packets in the boxes?
>
> I think I've found a small leak in the water pump...
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Don't know, haven't looked in the boxes that I put my '98 wheels in
for 10 years, just keep working/walking around them. Thought about
selling them for scrap aluminum as their demand dried up in 2000.

Old June 24th 09, 05:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Clams Canino" > wrote in message

> "Dad" > wrote in message
>
>> Save your money on the wheel restore, store them right and forget
>> about ever getting any value out of them. Way to many people doing
>> the
>> same thing you are so their value will come right after we get an
>> honest congress.

> What do you think decent PO2 wheel covers are worth today?
>
> -W

$30 to $50 if you find a buyer,/seller, or $20 for a set, wide open
price on them.

Vinyl Top Conditioner? Bill & Gail Ford Mustang 3 August 23rd 08 03:10 AM
Leather vs vinyl Jack[_16_] BMW 39 August 19th 08 08:30 AM
my vinyl rattles with top frame....... please help pnsman64 Antique cars 0 February 17th 06 10:30 PM
Vinyl Repair Stephen Horrillo Corvette 9 January 31st 05 04:46 AM
FS: Vinyl Upholstery Kestral Antique cars 0 November 13th 03 08:23 PM