Stuck caliper?

Old February 9th 05, 12:32 AM
John Ings

Default Stuck caliper?

On 8 Feb 2005 16:39:07 -0700, Alex > wrote:

>When I drive my 1990 Civic I occasionally hear slight squealing sound,
>such as if a front brake pad were touching a rotor. The sound goes away
>if I slightly pull the steering wheel to the left, but comes back if I
>let it go straight or slightly pull it to the right.

It would be advisable to check your wheel bearings.

> I think that one of
>the calipers gets occasionally stuck on its pin guides, but am not sure
>which one it is and how to find out which one it is.

Don't you do maintenance on your brakes, or have it done?

>Would anyone have
>some suggestions on pinpointing the offending part and how to fix it
>besides simply taking the front breaks apart, cleaning the guides, and
>applying high temp grease to the guides?

No, that's how you do it. It should be done regularly anyway, even if
it's not making noise. At least once a year.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#brakes

Old March 6th 05, 12:51 PM
gsl

after a drive go out and spit on the lugnuts, if it sizzles you
definately have a brake dragging. is the car pulling in that
direction? i had a problem like that with my '93. it turned out
to be a collapsed flex line to the caliper.

Old March 7th 05, 02:18 PM
Steppenwolf

Drive the car a fairly long while, stop somewhere and feel (carefully, don't
want to burn your hand) each wheel hub. you will be looking to see if the
front hubs are both about the same temperature and the rear hubs are about
the same temperature. One side that is noticeably hotter than it's opposite
twin has some kind of problem, probably a mechanical problem, such as the
caliper not floating back after brake release, as you suggested, or a fluid
problem, with pressure being held in the system, as someone else suggested.

Next I'd jack up each end and try to spin the wheels by hand. Is one harder
to turn than the one on the other side of the car? That too would indicate a
problem.

If you find that one corner exhibited drag by any of these methods, or all
did, as in the case of a master cylinder problem, that would at least give
you an idea where to start.

Good luck

Old March 8th 05, 11:49 PM
Woody

Your problem is probably nothing more than a piece of rust dragging on the
disk somewhere. If the caliper was hanging the pads would be wearing, the
disks warping and getting extremely hot. Stop being lazy and pull the wheel
and check it out......