Firing order

Old January 6th 18, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Firing order

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?

It's simple. it's not possible to balance the crankshaft in most engines
to do that and still have an engine that fit's into a vehicle. Take a
simple 4 cylinder. The crank throws have to be 90 degrees off from each
other to maintain balance. Then you need to balance out the rocking
coupled frequency from the firing order. If you don't the vibration will
quickly destroy the engine.

On a V engine you have 2 cylinders on each crank throw. So you have
cylinders 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 each sharing a throw. Number one is at TDC but
number two is already past TDC and heading down the bore by the time
number one fires. Impossible to have them fire in sequence.

There are some engines out there that have a sequential firing order,
but the crankshafts have split journals and generally they are not
capable of much power output because of the crank design.

--
Steve W.
Old January 7th 18, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:10:45 PM UTC-6, Steve W. wrote:
> Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?
> >

> It's simple. it's not possible to balance the crankshaft in most engines
> to do that and still have an engine that fit's into a vehicle. Take a
> simple 4 cylinder. The crank throws have to be 90 degrees off from each
> other to maintain balance. Then you need to balance out the rocking
> coupled frequency from the firing order. If you don't the vibration will
> quickly destroy the engine.
>
> On a V engine you have 2 cylinders on each crank throw. So you have
> cylinders 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 each sharing a throw. Number one is at TDC but
> number two is already past TDC and heading down the bore by the time
> number one fires. Impossible to have them fire in sequence.
>
> There are some engines out there that have a sequential firing order,
> but the crankshafts have split journals and generally they are not
> capable of much power output because of the crank design.
>

> --
> Steve W.

One cylinder up to 16, 24 or more, engines fire on only one cylinder at a time. Most of them anyway. Batteries do not have electricity in them either

Firing order question Mr. K[_2_] VW air cooled 5 August 10th 12 04:09 AM
Firing order meeker Technology 1 May 11th 06 10:23 PM
Firing order for M52 TJB BMW 5 March 10th 05 03:17 AM
Firing Order Don Jeep 4 February 13th 05 09:32 PM
Firing order? lp13-30 Chrysler 4 October 17th 04 05:09 PM