TDI: Manual vs. Automatic

Old August 12th 05, 02:31 PM
Amit Joneja

Default TDI: Manual vs. Automatic

Hi:

I'm thinking of buying a A4 Jetta TDI. Just looking for some opinions on
Manual vs. Auto based on fuel consumption, longevity, maintenance etc..

One of the major maintenance differences that I'm aware of:

- Manual timing belt replace at 96K kms. approx. vs. Auto timing belt at 60K
kms. approx.

Looking for some info on the following:

- Fuel consumption (L/100 kms.)
- Longevity
- Maintenance
- Any Specific Issues
- Anything else?

Thanks in advance,

AJ.

Old August 12th 05, 09:59 PM
Mike Smith

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:31:32 -0400, "Amit Joneja" >
wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I'm thinking of buying a A4 Jetta TDI. Just looking for some opinions on
>Manual vs. Auto based on fuel consumption, longevity, maintenance etc..
>
>One of the major maintenance differences that I'm aware of:
>
>- Manual timing belt replace at 96K kms. approx. vs. Auto timing belt at 60K
>kms. approx.
>
>Looking for some info on the following:
>
>- Fuel consumption (L/100 kms.)

42 mpg City / 49 mpg Hwy

(I am too lazy to metric-ize)

>- Longevity

I hear it is better to have a manual tranny for longevity

>- Maintenance

Probably about the same. If one is more than the other I would say an
auto is more high-maintenance. It is foolish to not maintian a
vehicle

>- Any Specific Issues

my shifter broke recently in my 99 TDI at 86K

>- Anything else?

More fun to drive a manual, I like to control the car's shift points
depending on my mood/ and driving conditions.
Old August 12th 05, 10:12 PM
Woodchuck

I'm old and I don't like to shift anymore... so it's and auto that gets my
vote. I have yet to replace a TDI auto trans.

Old August 13th 05, 02:35 AM
JEB

From sometime in 2001 the automatic TB is 80,000 miles (I have an 2002).
When you get a TB there is a new one with a few replacement parts that make
TB good for 100,000 miles (just had it installed).

Biggest difference is in the mileage. I get 37 around town and any where
from 40-46 on the highway depending on how loaded down and speeds (I drive
fast). Manuals will get close to 50mpg on the highway.

No problems with my AT with 80K on it. Like anything nothing is perfect.
If you check tdiclub.com you will see lots of opinions.

JEB
"Amit Joneja" > wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I'm thinking of buying a A4 Jetta TDI. Just looking for some opinions on
> Manual vs. Auto based on fuel consumption, longevity, maintenance etc..
>
> One of the major maintenance differences that I'm aware of:
>
> - Manual timing belt replace at 96K kms. approx. vs. Auto timing belt at
> 60K
> kms. approx.
>
> Looking for some info on the following:
>
> - Fuel consumption (L/100 kms.)
> - Longevity
> - Maintenance
> - Any Specific Issues
> - Anything else?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> AJ.

Coverting YJ fro MAnual to Automatic SoK66 Jeep 27 April 30th 05 08:21 PM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM
Ebay auction 1993 626 Mazda Factory Service Manual Dale Alexander General 0 March 14th 04 06:11 AM
Ebay auction 1994 626 Mazda Factory Service Manual Dale Alexander General 0 March 14th 04 06:11 AM