Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

Old April 9th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

Default Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic
ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty
tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this
normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth
regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was
just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed
up , not ATF.

Thanks
Mark
2000 GT ' vert
Old April 9th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
chuck

"Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
>I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic
> ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty
> tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this
> normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth
> regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was
> just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed
> up , not ATF.
>
> Thanks
> Mark
> 2000 GT ' vert

I heard some places use 30W oil in manual transmissions with better results.
No reason to use ATF, because that was designed for automatics.
That is what I have heard, don't know for sure.

Old April 9th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-04-09, chuck > wrote:

> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
>>I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic
>> ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty
>> tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this
>> normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth
>> regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was
>> just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed
>> up , not ATF.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark
>> 2000 GT ' vert

> I heard some places use 30W oil in manual transmissions with better results.
> No reason to use ATF, because that was designed for automatics.
> That is what I have heard, don't know for sure.

The T45 is supposed to be filled with ATF (meeting ford's specs for a
ford application). My guess this was done to reduce the number of
different types of fluids ford had to buy/stock. Some people have used
other lubricants in T45s, I assume with various degrees of success and
failure.

The only times the trans on my '97 has been stiff shifting wise has been
in sub-zero cold. I can't recall it happening since I switched it
to syn ATF though. It might have and I just immediately dismissed it as
normal.

Old April 9th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Mark G7#9 wrote:
> I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic
> ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty
> tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this
> normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth
> regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was
> just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed
> up , not ATF.
>
> Thanks
> Mark
> 2000 GT ' vert

First the trouble codes, now this? I'm thinking maybe a different shop.
I use Redline D4 ATF in my T45 and it shifts just fine.
--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old April 9th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Old April 10th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_4_]

"Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
>I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic
> ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty
> tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this
> normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth
> regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was
> just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed
> up , not ATF.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Mark,

Any chance they put old style gear lube in it? Doing that would kill the
T5's synchronizers. On a T5 they have paper like friction surfaces. Sorry
have not been in a T-45. but I think they are close relatives.

Al

Old April 10th 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-04-10, Big Al > wrote:

> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
>>I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic
>> ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty
>> tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this
>> normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth
>> regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was
>> just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed
>> up , not ATF.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark

> Mark,
>
> Any chance they put old style gear lube in it? Doing that would kill the
> T5's synchronizers. On a T5 they have paper like friction surfaces. Sorry
> have not been in a T-45. but I think they are close relatives.

not sure what you mean... my understanding is that synchros are made of
brass or some more 'advanced' material rather than having 'friction
surfaces' like a clutch or brake lining. That is they are the friction
material all the way through... I suppose some of the specialized
material ones might be ruined by the wrong lubricant but the more likely
result would be increased wear that could be stopped by a drain and
re-fill.

I've been inside a T-45 but not a T-5 and I didn't notice anything but
solid parts, nothing that appeared coated or bonded... or are you
talking about a surface treatment... like a case hardening?

Old April 11th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_4_]

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2009-04-10, Big Al > wrote:
>>
>> "Mark G7#9" > wrote in message
>>>I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic
>>> ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty
>>> tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this
>>> normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth
>>> regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was
>>> just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed
>>> up , not ATF.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mark

>> Mark,
>>
>> Any chance they put old style gear lube in it? Doing that would kill the
>> T5's synchronizers. On a T5 they have paper like friction surfaces. Sorry
>> have not been in a T-45. but I think they are close relatives.

> not sure what you mean... my understanding is that synchros are made of
> brass or some more 'advanced' material rather than having 'friction
> surfaces' like a clutch or brake lining. That is they are the friction
> material all the way through... I suppose some of the specialized
> material ones might be ruined by the wrong lubricant but the more likely
> result would be increased wear that could be stopped by a drain and
> re-fill.
>
> I've been inside a T-45 but not a T-5 and I didn't notice anything but
> solid parts, nothing that appeared coated or bonded... or are you
> talking about a surface treatment... like a case hardening?

No. In a T-5, first and second synchronizers are three peice. Look at this:

http://www.mackstrans.com/images/dia...45-Diagram.jpg

Look at 83, 83A and 83B. 83A would be the lined part.

Made me work to find that picture

Al

Old April 11th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Big Al wrote:

>> I've been inside a T-45 but not a T-5 and I didn't notice anything but
>> solid parts, nothing that appeared coated or bonded... or are you
>> talking about a surface treatment... like a case hardening?
>>

> No. In a T-5, first and second synchronizers are three peice. Look at this:
>
> http://www.mackstrans.com/images/dia...45-Diagram.jpg
>
> Look at 83, 83A and 83B. 83A would be the lined part.
>
> Made me work to find that picture
>
> Al

That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and
the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.
Old April 13th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

On Apr 10, 11:12*pm, GILL > wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>
> >> I've been inside a T-45 but not a T-5 and I didn't notice anything but
> >> solid parts, nothing that appeared coated or bonded... or are you
> >> talking about a surface treatment... like a case hardening?

> > No. In a T-5, first and second synchronizers are three peice. Look at this:

> >http://www.mackstrans.com/images/dia...45-Diagram.jpg

> > Look at 83, 83A and 83B. 83A would be the lined part.

> > Made me work to find that picture

> > Al

> That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and
> the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.- Hide quoted text -

They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on
manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual
Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.