DAWN, clean to a fault.

Old December 16th 06, 01:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default DAWN, clean to a fault.

"Preston" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>
>> Ingredient information (other than what's on the label) is
>> confidential. You may want to visit the Soap & Detergent
>> Association's website at http://www.sdahq.org. They provide a list of
>> general ingredients commonly used in hand dishwashing products.

> We don't get Dawn on this side of the pond afaik, but I wouldn't use it
> if we did simply because of the (probable) salt content.

You're kidding, right?

Old December 16th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Stephen" > wrote in message

> On 15-Dec-2006, "TCW" > wrote:
>
>> "I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint.
>> Just
>> use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high
>> alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone
>> oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free."

> Then they go on to say "Do not make a habit of washing your car with Dawn! "
> http://www.lazaino.com/ApplyZaino.htm

You mean like in use our stuff at a real soaker of a price?

Old December 16th 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Stephen[_3_]

On 16-Dec-2006, "Dad" > wrote:

> > Then they go on to say "Do not make a habit of washing your car with
> > Dawn! "
> > http://www.lazaino.com/ApplyZaino.htm
> >

> You mean like in use our stuff at a real soaker of a price?

No doubt it's in their best interest, in fact they need to believe
"specialized" products are better. Yet common sense cuts through the hype.
All soap removes wax. I don't for a second belive that there's a soap that
can do a good job at taking away the dirt but not some of the wax.

--
All the best,

Stephen
Old December 16th 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

It is interesting you prefer Dawn to do the cleaning, Dad. They hype how
mild it is with the cleaning of waterfowl in the oil spills. However, I've
always wondered about that, because one of the primary needs of the cleaning
is to remove a very hard to remove petroleum product.

I used to use Ivory dish washing liquid to clean bare engine blocks for
rebuilding. Talk about strip any oil away. A block would rust before your
eyes while washing. We used to wash and rinse and have someone spraying
WD40 as soon as the hose was off an area.

Old December 17th 06, 11:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Preston

Dad wrote:

> "Preston" > wrote in message
> > Dad wrote:
> >
> > > Ingredient information (other than what's on the label) is
> > > confidential. You may want to visit the Soap & Detergent
> > > Association's website at http://www.sdahq.org. They provide a
> > > list of general ingredients commonly used in hand dishwashing
> > > products.

> > We don't get Dawn on this side of the pond afaik, but I wouldn't
> > use it if we did simply because of the (probable) salt content.

> You're kidding, right?

No - honest. Get some salty suds trapped in a crevice like a windscreen
surround/chassis section/door channel etc & it will accelerate
corrosion. There's many a motorbike out there with furry white alloy
parts & rust patches in engine casing crevices for precisely this
reason.

--
Preston.
Old December 17th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Preston" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:

>> > We don't get Dawn on this side of the pond afaik, but I wouldn't
>> > use it if we did simply because of the (probable) salt content.

>> You're kidding, right?

> No - honest. Get some salty suds trapped in a crevice like a windscreen
> surround/chassis section/door channel etc & it will accelerate
> corrosion. There's many a motorbike out there with furry white alloy
> parts & rust patches in engine casing crevices for precisely this
> reason.

You're saying the salt content is higher in the soap than it is in the water
you're using? What percent in each? Where does it show up the most on your
Corvette? How do you discern the difference between acid rain and salt in your
soap/water/air? Do you live on the coast in the UK?

Old December 17th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Preston

Dad wrote:

> "Preston" > wrote in message
> > Dad wrote:

> > > You're kidding, right?

> > No - honest. Get some salty suds trapped in a crevice like a
> > windscreen surround/chassis section/door channel etc & it will
> > accelerate corrosion. There's many a motorbike out there with furry
> > white alloy parts & rust patches in engine casing crevices for
> > precisely this reason.
> >

> You're saying the salt content is higher in the soap than it is in
> the water you're using? What percent in each? Where does it show up
> the most on your Corvette? How do you discern the difference between
> acid rain and salt in your soap/water/air? Do you live on the coast
> in the UK?

If I had time to research answers to all those questions I would, but I
haven't - all spare time's allocated to restoring that rusting lump in
the garage! The last one's easy though - no (unfortunately). Have you
/seen/ the price of houses on the coast here...

My point though is that dish-washing liquids do generally have a very
high salt content, so I personally choose not to use them when there
are salt-free alternatives. Every little helps, right? If they work for
you then fine, but a lot of people don't know about the salt, & may not
be as thorough at rinsing.

Some people even use normal detergent as a lubricant when changing
tyres on alloy wheels - then wonder why their rims start to flake
apart. Plain water & acid rain don't cause that.

--
Preston.
Old December 17th 06, 04:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Lone Wolf

Works great as a marine bilge cleaner..just pour some in the bilge and let
it slosh around for a few trips and then pump out all that dirty
water/stuff. Clean like new...!!!!!!!!!!

Old December 17th 06, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Preston" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:

>> > No - honest. Get some salty suds trapped in a crevice like a
>> > windscreen surround/chassis section/door channel etc & it will
>> > accelerate corrosion. There's many a motorbike out there with furry
>> > white alloy parts & rust patches in engine casing crevices for
>> > precisely this reason.
>> >

>> You're saying the salt content is higher in the soap than it is in
>> the water you're using? What percent in each? Where does it show up
>> the most on your Corvette? How do you discern the difference between
>> acid rain and salt in your soap/water/air? Do you live on the coast
>> in the UK?

> If I had time to research answers to all those questions I would, but I
> haven't - all spare time's allocated to restoring that rusting lump in
> the garage!

Since you stated it had a salt content I just assumed you had the answers, or
were you just guessing? What is the lump that is rusting in the garage? That
shouldn't use much of your time to answer. The is a web site that tells the 10
best uses for Dawn and one of those, #10, is for rust prvention, go figure. What
has been affected on your Corvette?

>The last one's easy though - no (unfortunately). Have you
> /seen/ the price of houses on the coast here...

Yes, last August. Why, have you one to sell?

> My point though is that dish-washing liquids do generally have a very
> high salt content, so I personally choose not to use them when there
> are salt-free alternatives.

What is the high content? Actually a high content, over 3% by volume will kill
its ability to suds.

>Every little helps, right? If they work for
> you then fine, but a lot of people don't know about the salt, & may not
> be as thorough at rinsing.
>
> Some people even use normal detergent as a lubricant when changing
> tyres on alloy wheels - then wonder why their rims start to flake
> apart. Plain water & acid rain don't cause that.

Standard practice around here and it's also used to prevent galling of stainless
steel threads.

Here is some more baseless fears that are passed around the internet -
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/dawn.asp

Old December 18th 06, 06:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
No Vette Yet

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:16:25 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>Since I may have been guilty of starting this silly subject by stating that I
>use Dawn to wash my car here is some of what is said about Dawn soap on
>http://www.dawn-dish.com/

FWIW, the MSDS on this soap:

http://www.fsafood.com/msds/vault/000/000623.pdf