Most fuel efficient RPM?

Old October 25th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Most fuel efficient RPM?

On Oct 24, 6:27 pm, "Bernard Farquart" >
wrote:
> "Scott in SoCal" > wrote in messagenewsfjdh399ap4442hvignt60jf81e2ena77t@4ax .com...
>
> > DYM > said in rec.autos.driving:

> >>Just for laughs, about how much is a code scanner?

> >http://www.autotap.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=260
> > --

> Or, if you have one of the larger auto parts chains in
> your area, you can leave a deposit (usually 200 bucks)
> and rent one. I know that Checker-Schucks-Kragen-Murray's
> stores will, I believe Autozones do, too.
>
> Bernard

I knew they'll let me use it for free in the parking lot (been there
more than once) but had no idea about rental. Thanks for the tip,
I'll check that out!

Old October 26th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 17, 1:10 pm, " > wrote:
> What's a reasonable way to determine at what RPM your vehicle gets the
> most mileage per gallon of gas? When driving a stick, I tend to drive
> by feel. I had an old VW that was content cruising @ 1500rpm or so
> all day (assuming no noteworthy hills) while my current pickup seems
> to want to be above 2000. So I'm wondering, at what RPM would I get
> the best mileage? It seems like mileage may improve if I shifted up a
> gear on country roads to bring the RPM down to 1500 or so, but the
> truck feels as if it's bogging. Also, peak HP is made @ 5000 RPM
> (which feels like redline) & peak torque is made @ 3750 RPM, which may
> be more telling.
>
> It should be noted that a brisk highway run puts me about 3800 RPM,
> and mileage really suffers compared to the same run @ 65mph.

Unless you are out in sparse traffic, you really don't have much
choice in any case. You are pretty much restricted to speed of
traffic which will usually call for the highest gear in the box...at
least on out of town/city roads. At lower speeds you could have a
choice of dropping one gear or coming out of OD but I doubt you would
save enough to be worth the trouble.

As an interesting experiment I would do it but wouldn't expect to find
a practical application over the road.

Harry K