Oil Pressure Light

Old February 24th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rainwalker

Default Oil Pressure Light

When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?

Old February 24th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Sharon Cooke

Rainwalker wrote:
> When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
> comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
> very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?

Your actual oil pressure is hovering at the danger level of say 5 psi;
get it checked with an actual mechanical gauge before you start hearing
a banging sound from the engine, because by then, it will be too late to
save the engine.
Old February 24th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

"Rainwalker" > writes:

> When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
> comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
> very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?

You don't say you've checked, so I'll ask: have you checked your oil
level?
Old February 24th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Sharon Cooke wrote:

> Rainwalker wrote:
>
>> When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
>> comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
>> very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?
>>

> Your actual oil pressure is hovering at the danger level of say 5 psi;
> get it checked with an actual mechanical gauge before you start hearing
> a banging sound from the engine, because by then, it will be too late to
> save the engine.

There's probably a less-than-5% chance of that being the actual cause.
More than likely, the oil pressure switch (that lights the dash light)
needs replacing - very common phenomenon on Chrysler vehicles (although
the OP did not specify the vehicle). Would not be unusual for the
switch to also be dripping oil, as internal leaking is often the failure
mechanism that throws the switch trip point out of calibration - but
external leaking doesn't necessarily accompany the internal leaking -
initially anyway).

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 24th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"Sharon Cooke" > wrote in message
news

> Rainwalker wrote:
>> When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
>> comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
>> very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?
>>

> Your actual oil pressure is hovering at the danger level of say 5 psi; get
> it checked with an actual mechanical gauge before you start hearing a
> banging sound from the engine, because by then, it will be too late to
> save the engine.

That's what I think too. I think you have about 4 psi at idle, and/or maybe
you're a couple of quarts low.

Old February 24th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rainwalker

On Feb 24, 1:21�am, Joe Pfeiffer > wrote:
> "Rainwalker" > writes:
> > When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
> > comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
> > very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?

> You don't say you've checked, so I'll ask: *have you checked your oil
> level?

Had it checked and it was fine

Old February 24th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rainwalker

On Feb 24, 3:13�pm, "Joe" > wrote:
> "Sharon Cooke" > wrote in message
>
> news >
>

> > Rainwalker wrote:
> >> When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
> >> comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
> >> very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?

> > Your actual oil pressure is hovering at the danger level of say 5 psi; get
> > it checked with an actual mechanical gauge before you start hearing a
> > banging sound from the engine, because by then, it will be too late to
> > save the engine.

> That's what I think too. *I think you have about 4 psi at idle, and/or maybe
> you're a couple of quarts low.

Had it checked and it was fine-It only comes on when I apply the brake

Old February 25th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Rainwalker wrote:

> On Feb 24, 3:13�pm, "Joe" > wrote:
>
>>"Sharon Cooke" > wrote in message
>>
>>news >>

>>>Your actual oil pressure is hovering at the danger level of say 5 psi; get
>>>it checked with an actual mechanical gauge before you start hearing a
>>>banging sound from the engine, because by then, it will be too late to
>>>save the engine.

>>That's what I think too. �I think you have about 4 psi at idle, and/or maybe
>>you're a couple of quarts low.

> Had it checked and it was fine-It only comes on when I apply the brake

I agree with the others to have your oil pressure checked (with a
mechanical gage). But I doubt if the problem is truly low oil pressure
(but you don't want to assume that and damage your engine).

On a properly operating engine, your oil pressure will be at its
absolute lowest when running when the engine is at operating
temperature, idling, in gear, and vehicle stopped. With a good oil
pressure switch, this will be above the trip point of the switch with
some margin. If the pressure switch is out of calibration (due to an
internal leak), then normal idle may not trigger it (the pressure would
be just above the incorrect trip point with no margin), but if the idle
drops just a tad below normal (SAY, WHEN THERE IS A VACUUM CHANGE DUE TO
APPLYING THE BRAKES), then it will trip the switch and light the dash light.

If you are traveling down the road in gear, does the light come on? Or
is it only when you are stopped, in gear, with the brakes on? If the
pressure switch is bad, the latter will be the case.

My advice: Get the pressure checked as others suggested, and while they
have the switch out to temporarily hook up the mechanical gage, heve
them put in a new switch - OEM only - not aftermarket. The switch
itself will cost less than $30.

My full expectation if you do that is that (1) You will verify that your
pressure is in spec., and (2) The light problem will be gone.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 25th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Rainwalker wrote:

> When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
> comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
> very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?

You're either a) low on oil, or b) the oil pick-up screen is too high
above the bottom of the oil pan. Is the botto of your oil pan dented
inward, by any chance?
Old February 25th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Rainwalker wrote:

> On Feb 24, 1:21�am, Joe Pfeiffer > wrote:
>
>>"Rainwalker" > writes:
>>
>>>When ever I apply the brake with a little force the oil pressure light
>>>comes on-As soon as I apply the gas it goes out-If I apply the brake
>>>very easy it never comes on. Any suggestions?

>>You don't say you've checked, so I'll ask: �have you checked your oil
>>level?

> Had it checked and it was fine

HAD it checked? Check it yourself and be sure!

OIL PRESSURE LIGHT Lentinman Saturn 8 February 8th 07 03:25 AM
'98 Caravan Oil Pressure Light Geary Morton Dodge 4 November 10th 06 11:43 PM
OIL pressure Light joyce kieser Audi 5 May 12th 06 02:49 PM
Oil Pressure Light scsd094 Saturn 2 November 22nd 05 03:00 PM
Dodge Stratus ES '96 oil pressure light comes on [email protected] Chrysler 7 February 3rd 05 11:15 PM