GM, Chrysler said to hold merger talks

Old October 13th 08, 03:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

Default GM, Chrysler said to hold merger talks

ROFL!! GM has its share of winners, too. the 1990 or 1991 Pontiac LeMans.
Later on, they made a big version, called the Aztec.

Somehow GM stylists mistook the reason people bought those ugly Japanese
trucks (price, mileage) and figured they would incorporate those attributes
(styling) into the GM line. What we got was ugly vehicles no one wants to
buy.

How Corvette escaped, I will never know.

If I didn't have so many GM shares right now, I'd say let them tank. Then
maybe, just maybe, they would have to clean out the deadwood management and
get their act together. Nah, that would be too much like common sense, and
there isn't a company in the US over 5000 employees today that has common
sense running it.

Old October 13th 08, 04:04 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
adventuremyk

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:21:45 -0500, observer wrote:

>What do you think about a Chrysler Corvette ?

Well, the interior materials and design might get better? The current
plastic job doesn't cut it for me...

Hmm..

Corvette Z06
Corvette ZR1
Corvette SRT

Old October 13th 08, 04:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
adventuremyk

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 02:42:41 GMT, "Tom In Missouri" >
wrote:

>ROFL!! GM has its share of winners, too. the 1990 or 1991 Pontiac LeMans.
>Later on, they made a big version, called the Aztec.

The Le Mans from that era was a Daewoo who was, at the time, looking
to break into the US. If you think about it, a lot of the vehicles
from that time period were not GM's, but rebadged japanese and korean
cars. Think of anything with the name GEO and it was a rebadged
something else as a GM attempt to stay in business.

How did they get so far off the right track and into the wrong?
Simple...

Remember the old Porsche commercial when the Boxstes came out and the
guy was driving the 550 Spyder and looking at the new, yet similar
Boxster? "Holy Moley" is what they said....

Now imagine that from the guy who was in a coma and loved GM's...

"When did a Nova become a FWD 4-cyl automatic rebadged Toyota
Corrolla? What the hell did they do to the Malibu and Impalla?!?!"

Yep, they did it to themselves.

>If I didn't have so many GM shares right now, I'd say let them tank. Then
>maybe, just maybe, they would have to clean out the deadwood management and
>get their act together. Nah, that would be too much like common sense, and
>there isn't a company in the US over 5000 employees today that has common
>sense running it.

Given the shares current valyue you might as well say let 'em tank...
Old October 14th 08, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Tom In Missouri" > wrote in message
> ROFL!! GM has its share of winners, too. the 1990 or 1991 Pontiac
> LeMans. Later on, they made a big version, called the Aztec.
>
> Somehow GM stylists mistook the reason people bought those ugly Japanese
> trucks (price, mileage) and figured they would incorporate those
> attributes (styling) into the GM line. What we got was ugly vehicles no
> one wants to buy.
>
> How Corvette escaped, I will never know.
>

> If I didn't have so many GM shares right now, I'd say let them tank. Then
> maybe, just maybe, they would have to clean out the deadwood management
> and get their act together. Nah, that would be too much like common
> sense, and there isn't a company in the US over 5000 employees today that
> has common sense running it.

I think the main reason is tying executive pay to short-term performance of
the company. All they want to do is drive up the stock price in order to
make the most bucks exercising their massive options and reserved shares.
You do that by cutting costs (i.e. people and components) to the bone. Why
think about the future when you can make centimillions and cash out in a few
years, leaving the next poor schmuck to deal with the mess?

This was done, they said, to tie the interests of the management to that of
the stockholders. That sure worked out.

Old October 15th 08, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Elbert

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:21:58 -0400, "CardsFan" > wrote:

>"Tom In Missouri" > wrote in message
>> ROFL!! GM has its share of winners, too. the 1990 or 1991 Pontiac
>> LeMans. Later on, they made a big version, called the Aztec.
>>
>> Somehow GM stylists mistook the reason people bought those ugly Japanese
>> trucks (price, mileage) and figured they would incorporate those
>> attributes (styling) into the GM line. What we got was ugly vehicles no
>> one wants to buy.
>>
>> How Corvette escaped, I will never know.
>>

>> If I didn't have so many GM shares right now, I'd say let them tank. Then
>> maybe, just maybe, they would have to clean out the deadwood management
>> and get their act together. Nah, that would be too much like common
>> sense, and there isn't a company in the US over 5000 employees today that
>> has common sense running it.

>I think the main reason is tying executive pay to short-term performance of
>the company. All they want to do is drive up the stock price in order to
>make the most bucks exercising their massive options and reserved shares.
>You do that by cutting costs (i.e. people and components) to the bone. Why
>think about the future when you can make centimillions and cash out in a few
>years, leaving the next poor schmuck to deal with the mess?
>
>This was done, they said, to tie the interests of the management to that of
>the stockholders. That sure worked out.
>
>AJM
>'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

I hope someone with a "brain" and who has a clue about cars
has the sense not to pursue this. I thought Diamler AG owned
Chrylser these days.

That's all GM needs is some designer input from Chrylser...to help
them loose market share.

GM needs more "car" peoeple rather than bean counters. Its obviious
that GM has not kept its eye on the marketplace, or there would not be
such a huge influx of foreign competition.

I don't know were GM has room to move, given its huge labor costs, and
retirement benefits.

Be nice if GM could buidl and bring to the market a selection of very
fuel efficient cars. American made....not where GM stamps their name
on a foreign made product.

GM needs to clean up it's own organization before they start trying to
buy someone else and acquire their problems as well.

GM+Chrylser= something "ugly"...
Elbert