A little help please? - 1956 Pontiac - Gallipolis Show.jpg

Old July 6th 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Vint@ge

Default A little help please? - 1956 Pontiac - Gallipolis Show.jpg

You are likely aware of this site Roadsign, but it has a lot of information
available for all 50's models...

http://members.tripod.com/starchief57/

Old July 6th 08, 03:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Roadsign[_5_]

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:19:13 -0400, "Vint@ge" > wrote:

>You are likely aware of this site Roadsign, but it has a lot of information
>available for all 50's models...
>
>http://members.tripod.com/starchief57/

No Fred I wasn't! I am now! Many thanks. Nice web site they have
there. There is a Pontiac Club around my area but the nearest chapter
is about 50 miles north of me in Dayton, OH. I still may check it out
and see what kind of group it is.

Thanks for the web site. I appreciate it very much.

Tony

Old July 6th 08, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Roadsign[_5_]

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:19:13 -0400, "Vint@ge" > wrote:

>You are likely aware of this site Roadsign, but it has a lot of information
>available for all 50's models...
>
>http://members.tripod.com/starchief57/

This appears to be the same club I spoke of just a moment ago. POCI is
an International Club. Dayton isn't that far... I am going to cjeck
this out further. Again, thank you..

Old July 6th 08, 04:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
ThomasS2[_2_]

Default A little help please? - 1956 Pontiac - Gallipolis Show.jpg - Pontiac mocel selection.jpg

I do believe that is upside down...lol!

TS )

Old July 6th 08, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Roadsign[_5_]

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 10:54:08 -0400, Roadsign
> wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:19:13 -0400, "Vint@ge" > wrote:
>
>>You are likely aware of this site Roadsign, but it has a lot of information
>>available for all 50's models...
>>
>>http://members.tripod.com/starchief57/
>>

>This appears to be the same club I spoke of just a moment ago. POCI is
>an International Club. Dayton isn't that far... I am going to cjeck
>this out further. Again, thank you..

Oh my, before the wrath of the spell checker befalls me, make that "I
am going to check this out further". ;-)
Old July 6th 08, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Roadsign[_5_]

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:54:06 -0500, "ThomasS2" > wrote:

>I do believe that is upside down...lol!
>
>TS )

Are you north or south of the equator? 8-0=

RS
Old July 7th 08, 01:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Max Magister

By the way, RS, when you find yourself in Dayton and you happen to have a
camera in your hands, how about some photos of the Miami Valley
trolleybuses? There are only a few trolley systems left in the US and only
two in Canada and electric transit is another one of my interests. The old
Pullmans in Dayton were a little more interesting than the newer buses (I
think that Dayton bought Skoda trolleys, didn't they?) but I'd be delighted
to see a few original photos if you can swing it....

max

Old July 7th 08, 11:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Roadsign[_5_]

Default Dayton trolleys

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 17:43:16 -0700, "Max Magister"
> wrote:

>By the way, RS, when you find yourself in Dayton and you happen to have a
>camera in your hands, how about some photos of the Miami Valley
>trolleybuses? There are only a few trolley systems left in the US and only
>two in Canada and electric transit is another one of my interests. The old
>Pullmans in Dayton were a little more interesting than the newer buses (I
>think that Dayton bought Skoda trolleys, didn't they?) but I'd be delighted
>to see a few original photos if you can swing it....
>
>max

I'll check that out Max. I used to work out of the company office in
Dayton but rarely got to the downtown area. Seems I do remember some
of the trolley buses still running there. (Not sure of the make or
model) We used to have them here in Cincinnati as well but it has been
years.

When I posted the "Glendale Car Show" pics there was a GM Coach in
those pictures. It was owned by a group of ex-bus company employees.
They also have a trolley but are still in the process of rebuilding
it. He did tell me those things ran on 600 VDC. Wow! Must have been a
very low current operation.

I'll look into it.

Tony
Old July 8th 08, 10:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Max Magister

That would be great. The standard voltage for North American trolleys and
streetcars was 600 volts DC so that is also used in Dayton, I suspect. Some
systems raised their voltage to 750 volts to accommodate the reintroduction
of streetcars and light rail systems but I don't think anyone has gone to AC
or high voltages for overhead in urban areas. By the way, when Cincinnati
still had its streetcars they were unique in North America in having two
trolley poles side by side instead of the usual single pole. And instead of
a single wire above the tracks there were two. That made it very easy to
replace them with trolleybuses since the old overhead could be retained
without the need to string an additional wire.

Max

Old July 9th 08, 12:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Roadsign[_5_]

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:02:25 -0700, "Max Magister"
> wrote:

>That would be great. The standard voltage for North American trolleys and
>streetcars was 600 volts DC so that is also used in Dayton, I suspect. Some
>systems raised their voltage to 750 volts to accommodate the reintroduction
>of streetcars and light rail systems but I don't think anyone has gone to AC
>or high voltages for overhead in urban areas. By the way, when Cincinnati
>still had its streetcars they were unique in North America in having two
>trolley poles side by side instead of the usual single pole. And instead of
>a single wire above the tracks there were two. That made it very easy to
>replace them with trolleybuses since the old overhead could be retained
>without the need to string an additional wire.
>
>Max

I remember riding on the Cincinnati system as a kid. The #4 route went
from my area of town to the downtown Cincinnati area. (It still makes
that same run although they are now deisel buses of course) The #4
went up Gilbert Avenue and made a hard left at the top. It seemed the
odds were about 90-10 that the trolleys would come off the overhead
lines at that corner. The driver would stop (gee, really?), get out a
huge set of gloves and go outside to replace the trolleys. I can
remember every once in a while a driver would make that turn and the
rider's would applaud him on the accomplishment. I can also remember
when the trolleys DID come off the passengers would all just sit there
and wait for them to be replaced. No screaming or complaining. Some of
them even talked to each other. Boy that was a strange world.

There may even be a museum of some type right here in my hometown with
some of those trolleys in it. I'll add that to my list of things to do
too.

Thanks for the idea! Should be fun.

Tony