Light bulbs

Old January 14th 10, 01:52 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

Default Light bulbs

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> I'll let you know later this week if you like. I could only find 50W
>>> can-bus for the GT so.....

>> Yes please
>>
>>> I am a little worried they'll be too bright.

>> I will wait a week to hear your verdict before I upgrade...

> No worries.
>
> TBH I'm getting flashed in the GT with the normal bulbs, so I'm reckoning
> they are badly adjusted. Currently I have them on -1 setting.

Any chance of some before and after photos from the drivers position
(obviously at night!)?

Old January 14th 10, 02:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

>>> Yes please

>>> I will wait a week to hear your verdict before I upgrade...

>> No worries.
>>
>> TBH I'm getting flashed in the GT with the normal bulbs, so I'm reckoning
>> they are badly adjusted. Currently I have them on -1 setting.

> Any chance of some before and after photos from the drivers position
> (obviously at night!)?

I can try. I doubt very much that it will show much difference without
some rather more sophisticated photography techniques than I can bring
to bear, simply cos the camera will adjust settings to compensate.

Having said that I suppose I could just set it on manual and hope....

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old January 14th 10, 02:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> No worries.
>>>
>>> TBH I'm getting flashed in the GT with the normal bulbs, so I'm
>>> reckoning they are badly adjusted. Currently I have them on -1 setting.

>> Any chance of some before and after photos from the drivers position
>> (obviously at night!)?

> I can try. I doubt very much that it will show much difference without
> some rather more sophisticated photography techniques than I can bring to
> bear, simply cos the camera will adjust settings to compensate.
>
> Having said that I suppose I could just set it on manual and hope....

Thanks, but don't go to too much trouble.

Old January 20th 10, 05:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

>>> Any chance of some before and after photos from the drivers position
>>> (obviously at night!)?

>> I can try. I doubt very much that it will show much difference without
>> some rather more sophisticated photography techniques than I can bring to
>> bear, simply cos the camera will adjust settings to compensate.
>>
>> Having said that I suppose I could just set it on manual and hope....

> Thanks, but don't go to too much trouble.

I didn't. It was too cold and too hard. There's not much room under that
bonnet, and a *BLOODY* stupid bulb retaining mechanism[1]

I still need to drill the back of the light units and thread the wire /
grommet through, but that can happen tomorrow.

[1] It's actually OK if you can see[2] what you're doing. Which if
course you can't.
[2] And [3] if there's sufficient room behind the cluster to get your
hands in, which of cours there isn't
[3] And if you don't have to remove the retaining spring because the HID
bulbs have the cable attached and it needs threading through the closed
loop spring. Which of course it does.

One day I shall meet some Alfa engineers....

Old January 20th 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> I can try. I doubt very much that it will show much difference without
>>> some rather more sophisticated photography techniques than I can bring
>>> to bear, simply cos the camera will adjust settings to compensate.
>>>
>>> Having said that I suppose I could just set it on manual and hope....

>> Thanks, but don't go to too much trouble.

> I didn't. It was too cold and too hard. There's not much room under that
> bonnet, and a *BLOODY* stupid bulb retaining mechanism[1]
>
> I still need to drill the back of the light units and thread the wire /
> grommet through, but that can happen tomorrow.
>
> [1] It's actually OK if you can see[2] what you're doing. Which if course
> you can't.
> [2] And [3] if there's sufficient room behind the cluster to get your
> hands in, which of cours there isn't
> [3] And if you don't have to remove the retaining spring because the HID
> bulbs have the cable attached and it needs threading through the closed
> loop spring. Which of course it does.

Hmm - you're not selling it well here!

> One day I shall meet some Alfa engineers....

I have changed the headlight bulbs on mine before - cost me 3 knuckles and
about 30 minutes! Sounds like this procedure is similar, but with a few more
steps!

Old January 20th 10, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:

>> I didn't. It was too cold and too hard. There's not much room under that
>> bonnet, and a *BLOODY* stupid bulb retaining mechanism[1]
>>
>> I still need to drill the back of the light units and thread the wire /
>> grommet through, but that can happen tomorrow.
>>
>> [1] It's actually OK if you can see[2] what you're doing. Which if course
>> you can't.
>> [2] And [3] if there's sufficient room behind the cluster to get your
>> hands in, which of cours there isn't
>> [3] And if you don't have to remove the retaining spring because the HID
>> bulbs have the cable attached and it needs threading through the closed
>> loop spring. Which of course it does.

> Hmm - you're not selling it well here!

I thought you had a 156? They are *much* easier.

>> One day I shall meet some Alfa engineers....

> I have changed the headlight bulbs on mine before - cost me 3 knuckles and
> about 30 minutes! Sounds like this procedure is similar, but with a few more
> steps!

For the 156 it was about 30 mins start to finish. The retaining springs
are much better, there is more room behind the clusters and more room to
mount the ballast boxes.

GT lights are much improved

Old January 21st 10, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>
>>> I didn't. It was too cold and too hard. There's not much room under that
>>> bonnet, and a *BLOODY* stupid bulb retaining mechanism[1]
>>>
>>> I still need to drill the back of the light units and thread the wire /
>>> grommet through, but that can happen tomorrow.
>>>
>>> [1] It's actually OK if you can see[2] what you're doing. Which if
>>> course you can't.
>>> [2] And [3] if there's sufficient room behind the cluster to get your
>>> hands in, which of cours there isn't
>>> [3] And if you don't have to remove the retaining spring because the HID
>>> bulbs have the cable attached and it needs threading through the closed
>>> loop spring. Which of course it does.

>> Hmm - you're not selling it well here!
>>

> I thought you had a 156? They are *much* easier.

Hell, the GT must have been a tough job then. I didn't like changing the
bulb on the 156!

>>> One day I shall meet some Alfa engineers....

>> I have changed the headlight bulbs on mine before - cost me 3 knuckles
>> and about 30 minutes! Sounds like this procedure is similar, but with a
>> few more steps!

> For the 156 it was about 30 mins start to finish. The retaining springs
> are much better, there is more room behind the clusters and more room to
> mount the ballast boxes.
>
> GT lights are much improved

Worth £70 then?

Old January 21st 10, 05:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:

>>> Hmm - you're not selling it well here!
>>>

>> I thought you had a 156? They are *much* easier.

> Hell, the GT must have been a tough job then. I didn't like changing the
> bulb on the 156!

Really? The dipped beam, or the sidelights? I won't touch the sidelights
on a 156

>>> I have changed the headlight bulbs on mine before - cost me 3 knuckles
>>> and about 30 minutes! Sounds like this procedure is similar, but with a
>>> few more steps!

>> For the 156 it was about 30 mins start to finish. The retaining springs
>> are much better, there is more room behind the clusters and more room to
>> mount the ballast boxes.
>>
>> GT lights are much improved

> Worth £70 then?

I think so, but why pay £70?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-HID-CONV...em3efc10553 f

HTH

Old January 21st 10, 05:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Catman wrote:
<snip>

> I think so, but why pay £70?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-HID-CONV...em3efc10553 f

Arse. Just recalled the 156 needs H7R's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H7R-35w-ULTRA-...em5635123ed 5

Just under £60

E46 Warning Light for Bulbs keithd BMW 2 July 12th 07 05:45 PM
Changing Light Bulbs bayman2222 Mazda 6 July 4th 06 04:49 PM
instrumentation light bulbs Frank Maatje Alfa Romeo 1 May 18th 06 06:27 PM
dash light bulbs mark Technology 2 April 20th 06 01:47 AM
dash light bulbs mark 4x4 0 April 20th 06 12:46 AM