Beetle Tire Recommendation

Old February 7th 05, 03:40 AM
Randall Brink

Default Beetle Tire Recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation on the width, aspect ratio and diameter,
as well as the best brand for a 1970 standard Beetle?

Old February 7th 05, 03:46 AM
Jan Andersson

Randall Brink wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation on the width, aspect ratio and diameter,
> as well as the best brand for a 1970 standard Beetle?

15" tall, 5.5" wide wheel, 185/65 tire. Just perfect for all-around
driving, and fairly cheap size, easy to find.
A world of difference compared to stock.

Jan
Old February 7th 05, 03:55 AM
Randall Brink

So--185 instead of 165. That would be a 185 65 15?

Randall

Old February 7th 05, 05:01 AM
Karls Vladimir Peña

195/60R15 Pirelli's P6000 on 15 x 6 wheel

Old February 7th 05, 05:19 AM
Jan Andersson

Randall Brink wrote:

> So--185 instead of 165. That would be a 185 65 15?
>
> Randall

Yes. Fits under the fender too. Might rub on the elbow of the torsion
arm, when you turn the wheel all the way to either side but you can
adjust the steering travel stop bolts to prevent this. It's not
dangerous, the spot it rubs on is round. Just be aware and don't force
the wheel.

175 is the max for 4.4" wheel (stock) and I'd put 185 on a 5.5" wheel.
(Factory wheel for convertibles and whatnot, I forgot what cars got
them)

Jan
Old February 7th 05, 06:22 AM
Robert

165-15 is about the easiest to find that will snugly fit into the spare
tire well of my 1970 Beetle. 155 -15 fits into the spare tire well
perfectly. - Bob

Old February 8th 05, 12:21 AM
Wolfgang

The stock rims on that car are 4.5x15" - so 155 or165x75/15 is the proper
tire. A 165 will just fit in the front trunk as a spare.

Old February 8th 05, 11:18 AM
Howard Rose

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:40:45 -0800, "Randall Brink"
> wrote:

>Does anyone have a recommendation on the width, aspect ratio and diameter,
>as well as the best brand for a 1970 standard Beetle?

The modern equivalent to the original 5.60x15 crossply is a 155x15.
However, most places will fit the easier to find 165x15.

I fitted 165x15 to my '66, and I think it makes the tyres look too
fat. Next time, I'll go with 5.60x15 ;-)

Old February 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Wolfgang

The 5.60x15 is a bias ply tire - great for show but not great on the road.
Suspect by 70 they were stock with radials (the metric measurement).