My new alfa.. boot problem....

Old December 19th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
topgooner71

Default My new alfa.. boot problem....

Hey all. Picked up a 03 147 today.
Drives like a dream
1.6 lusso 3 door silver and 32k on the clock, and she is SO SO beautiful....

All seems really good bar one thing I am kicking myself over that I did
not notice when I was checking it out. (It was a private sale, so no
dealer to go back to)

NEITHER key seems to operate the boot release. In fact on pressing the
button on the key, there does not even feel like there is in fact a
button underneath..(do you know what I mean by that...?!)

The button inside the car works the boot no problem...

Also very strange is that the alfa badge on the boot seems not to spin
around to show the keyhole.. It is just stuck in place...

Can anyone help... Other than that.. mm it's so nice to be back in an
alfa after my last one was written off 6 months ago..!

charlie
Old December 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

topgooner71 wrote:

> Also very strange is that the alfa badge on the boot seems not to spin
> around to show the keyhole.. It is just stuck in place...

Models with remote boot opening do not have key operated locks like the
the slightly older Alfas AFAIK.

My wife's 147 requires you to be closer to the car to operate the boot
button than the remote central locking, but I would guess you have tried
this?

I did have a button collapse on my 156 remote. I couldn't turn off the
alarm, whilst I could use the key to open the door the alarm went off
and the car was immobilised. The button felt like it was unconnected. I
had to get the wife to bring the spare key, she was really pleased! The
key fob was replaced under warranty.

Cheers
Tony
Old December 19th 06, 07:39 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Paul Woodsford

"topgooner71" > wrote in message
> Hey all. Picked up a 03 147 today.
> Drives like a dream
> 1.6 lusso 3 door silver and 32k on the clock, and she is SO SO
> beautiful....
>
> All seems really good bar one thing I am kicking myself over that I did
> not notice when I was checking it out. (It was a private sale, so no
> dealer to go back to)
>
> NEITHER key seems to operate the boot release. In fact on pressing the
> button on the key, there does not even feel like there is in fact a button
> underneath..(do you know what I mean by that...?!)
>
> The button inside the car works the boot no problem...
>
> Also very strange is that the alfa badge on the boot seems not to spin
> around to show the keyhole.. It is just stuck in place...
>
> Can anyone help... Other than that.. mm it's so nice to be back in an alfa
> after my last one was written off 6 months ago..!
>
> charlie

Hi Charlie,
There is NO mechanical key operated lock on tailgate, it is
electro-mechanical only using switch on dash or key fob only.
??? Reset key to car - have to read handbook on how to do this/ change
battery/ key fob remote has to be closer to car for operation on tailgate
than general unlocking. Ask previous owner if this has always been a
problem?

As long as the boot can be opened. Enjoy the experience of the 147.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old December 19th 06, 08:24 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
topgooner71

> Hi Charlie,
> There is NO mechanical key operated lock on tailgate, it is
> electro-mechanical only using switch on dash or key fob only.
> ??? Reset key to car - have to read handbook on how to do this/ change
> battery/ key fob remote has to be closer to car for operation on tailgate
> than general unlocking. Ask previous owner if this has always been a
> problem?
>
> As long as the boot can be opened. Enjoy the experience of the 147.

Hey again all. Didn't reaslise they had changed it.. had a 2001 147
till 6months ago, and that had all three... nice twisty badge, button in
the cabin, and the button on the key fob.

Still cant get the keyfob to work, and will ask the previous owner this
weekend...

Could both keys need resetting..? even though they both lock/unlock the
doors...?

Already can't wait to go for a drive in an hour..!

charlie
Old December 19th 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_1_]

"topgooner71" > wrote in message
> Hey all. Picked up a 03 147 today.
> Drives like a dream
> 1.6 lusso 3 door silver and 32k on the clock, and she is SO SO
> beautiful....
>
> All seems really good bar one thing I am kicking myself over that I did
> not notice when I was checking it out. (It was a private sale, so no
> dealer to go back to)
>
> NEITHER key seems to operate the boot release. In fact on pressing the
> button on the key, there does not even feel like there is in fact a button
> underneath..(do you know what I mean by that...?!)
>
> The button inside the car works the boot no problem...
>
> Also very strange is that the alfa badge on the boot seems not to spin
> around to show the keyhole.. It is just stuck in place...
>
> Can anyone help... Other than that.. mm it's so nice to be back in an alfa
> after my last one was written off 6 months ago..!
>
> charlie

The badge doesn't turn round any more - it is fixed in place now -
apparently they changed it after people pulled them off too often!!

Problem with your key might be that the microswitchs have broken inside -
this fits with you feeling nothing behind the button (feels empty whereas
the other button feels like you are pressing something). Both of my keys
have done this with the main unlock button - unfortunately the second broke
before I had fixed the first, so I couldn't even open the car without
triggering the alarm!

As its only the boot release, you might not want to break open your key fob
to fix this, but if you can be bothered, prize the key fob open and solder
the lose part back into place. I can't find a link now, but I did a web
search a few months ago and found a PDF file with instructions talking you
through the procedure. Its not very complicated - the hardest part is
opening the key fob as it is glued shut with something stronger than the
plastic itself!

GT