home bodywork/paint/rust protection question

Old October 23rd 04, 01:19 AM
Nate Nagel

Tegger® wrote:

> Krown or Rust Check is better. Way, way better.

I think both of those are purely northern (possibly Canuckian?) chains,
I have never seen one of either, although I've heard Canuckian friends
singing the praises of Krown.

I live outside the rust belt, anyway, so I'm kind of on my own on this one.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 23rd 04, 02:17 AM
Ray

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>Yeesh. Yeah, I remember those things... when I was a *real* little kid,
>>I remember the neighbors across the street bought a Volare wagon. The
>>front fenders were literally rusted through in a year.

> Only a year? They got one of the good ones...
>
> (When it came time for my folks to trade in their bought-new '70 Dart,
> they went back to the Dodge dealer, who redfacedly apologized during the
> test drive as they rattled their way through a test drive of a new '78
> Aspen. Window cranks fell off, shift levers flopped, the works. They
> bought a new '78 Caprice.)

My used $60 Volare had fiberglass fenders. I'm assuming they rusted all
away... like the quarters did the year I owned it. I called them
"racing" fenders. Ok, so it was a brown 4 door with a slant 6... but it
had lightweight racing fenders. Best $60 car I had until I blew the
diff out. Then I replaced it with a Caravelle... basically an 82 Volare
with a 318.

Ray
Old October 23rd 04, 03:00 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Tegger=AE wrote:

> Krown or Rust Check is better. Way, way better.

Krown, maybe. Rust Check? Are you *high*?!
Old October 23rd 04, 03:01 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Tegger=AE wrote:

> Keeping my '91 Honda (relatively) free of winter's damage is hard,
> endless work. When I think of all the parts that have had to be replaced
> due to nothing more than corrosion, well, tears come to my eyes.

Yeah. I've got a '92 Dodge being built for me in California. When it's
ready, I'm going to need to figure out how to rustproof it. I've been
considering Rhino-Liner (the stuff they line truck beds with).
Old October 23rd 04, 03:48 AM
John Ings

On 23 Oct 2004 02:10:26 GMT, "Tegger®"
> wrote:

>Krown and Rust Check work extremely well, but they are quite messy and do
>need to be reapplied every year. As well, they tend to swell neoprene, so
>your door seals and other such gaskets will eventually sag, become detached
>and need to be replaced.

AND you need to make sure the gomer who is drilling the holes and
spraying the stuff is following the franchise's instructions for your
make and model. Like many franchises, there are scrupulous franchise
operators and lazy, sloppy ones. Kinda like the guy in the pit at the
fast oil change outfits, some of the oil squirters are minimum wage
goof-offs.

Old October 23rd 04, 03:53 PM
dreas

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> Just this past weekend, I saw a completely unrusted *1978 Plymouth
> Caravelle "woodie" wagon*. That is a Canadian-market badge-up of the
> F-body Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen.

I don't believe Caravelles came out until after Aspens and Volares were
discontinued around 1981. Aspens and Volares were known for their
tendency to rust, especially on the fenders. My '87 Caravelle doesn't
have one speck of rust on it and the paint is all factory original. Of
course
I'm on the west coast, and salt is seldom used...

> These cars, while they weren't *quite*
> as bad as the Chevrolet Vega, were practically made out of compressed
> rust. One seldom sees such a car as this in any condition here in Toronto,
> which sees heavy road salt four to five months out of the year.

Although the sheet metal on these cars was thin and easily dented, it only
rusted if salt and water got to the steel. If the paint job was given a
fresh
waxing every year, and the bottom of the car was sprayed with used oil,
and sprayed inside the doors and fenders once a year in the salt belt,
there's
no reason why an 80's Caravelle shouldn't still be solid. The thing about
these cars is that most of them were neglected and left to rot because
they are not worth much when it comes to resale. I see a lot of them and
identical Dodge Diplomats with unrepaired fender benders chugging around
town, billowing black smoke out of their tailpipes...

> There was a "Rustproofed with Waxoyl" sticker in the lower left corner of
> the windshield; the condition of the car is quite a high recommendation
> for that product.
>
> FWIW, of course.

The car? It's not worth much but there's a good proven drivetrain under
that square bodywork and it's one of the most trouble-free cars I've ever
owned. Waxoyl[TM] eh?

-'dreas

Old October 24th 04, 01:03 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, dreas wrote:

> I don't believe Caravelles came out until after Aspens and Volares were
> discontinued around 1981.

Nope, the Caravelle's first year in Canada was '78. The one I saw in the
Rona parking lot had the pre-'81 VIN format (1981 was the first year for
standardized 17-digit VINs; this one had an 11-digit VIN and the 6th digit
was 8, indicating a 1978 model.

Here, for confirmation:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mikesspot/plymouth.html (second picture down;
'79 Caravelle -- fourth and fifth pictures down, '78 Caravelles)

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mikesspot/caravelle.html (another '79)

> no reason why an 80's Caravelle shouldn't still be solid.

The conversation wasn't about '80s Caravelles, which are M-bodies, but
about '70s Caravelles, which are F-bodies. The M-bodies were *greatly*
improved in corrosion resistance compared to their M-body progenitors.

Old October 24th 04, 02:49 PM
dreas

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, dreas wrote:
>
> > I don't believe Caravelles came out until after Aspens and Volares were
> > discontinued around 1981.

> Nope, the Caravelle's first year in Canada was '78. The one I saw in the
> Rona parking lot had the pre-'81 VIN format (1981 was the first year for
> standardized 17-digit VINs; this one had an 11-digit VIN and the 6th digit
> was 8, indicating a 1978 model.
>
> Here, for confirmation:
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mikesspot/plymouth.html (second picture down;
> '79 Caravelle -- fourth and fifth pictures down, '78 Caravelles)

OK. I guess I wasn't up on the earlier ones. My '87 looks like the white
one [Third one down which is labeled as a Fury] except it has plain wheel
covers like the ones on 80's Dodge vans...

> http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mikesspot/caravelle.html (another '79)
>
> > no reason why an 80's Caravelle shouldn't still be solid.

> The conversation wasn't about '80s Caravelles, which are M-bodies, but
> about '70s Caravelles, which are F-bodies. The M-bodies were *greatly*
> improved in corrosion resistance compared to their M-body progenitors.

Now I'm good and confused. Are you saying that there was a Caravelle
with a Volare/Aspen type body? A Caravelle with a Diplomat type body
[like mine] and what about those FWD 80's Caravelles that look like
slightly enlarged K-cars, resembling Chrysler E-class cars?

Let's not get started on all the different things that were called New
Yorker
from 1980 to 1990.

Feh.

-'dreas

Old October 24th 04, 03:06 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, dreas wrote:

> > The conversation wasn't about '80s Caravelles, which are M-bodies, but
> > about '70s Caravelles, which are F-bodies. The M-bodies were *greatly*
> > improved in corrosion resistance compared to their M-body progenitors.

> Now I'm good and confused.

My fault for making a thoroughly unclear comment about F vs. M bodies and
completely omitting the K-car derivative Caravelles.

The Diplomat, LeBaron and Canadian Caravelle were introduced in the late
1970s (1977, 1977 and 1978, respectively) as upmarket versions of the
F-bodies (Aspen and Volare). Don't remember when the Plymouth Gran Fury
got badge-engineered into existence from a Diplomat. Sheetmetal changes
relative to the Aspen/Volare were EXTREMELY limited...basically new front
and rear header panels and slightly reshaped hoods and trunks on the
4-doors. The rest of the exterior differences involved schtuff like landau
roofs with opera lights, chrome trim, phony wire wheel covers, ornaments,
badges, etc. For most intents and purposes, the only significant
difference between an "F-body" and an "M-body" was the designation -- it
was only four years earlier that most sheetmetal would not interchange
between same-year Dodge Darts and Plymouth Valiants, both A-bodies!

The F-bodies (Aspen, Volare) went away after the 1981 model year, and the
M-bodies continued their slow and very limited evolution. Rustproofing got
much better, and there were some sheetmetal changes, but the undercar
stuff (suspension, etc.) as well as the doors(!) remained interchangeable
with F-body items. This was true until the last little styling change in
'87 slightly modified the windowframe shape of the rear doors.

> Are you saying that there was a Caravelle with a Volare/Aspen type body?

All the early Caravelles had a "Volare/Aspen type body" with the same
minor differences that set a Diplomat apart from an Aspen.

> what about those FWD 80's Caravelles that look like slightly enlarged
> K-cars, resembling Chrysler E-class cars?

Yep, Plymouth Caravelle - Dodge 600 - Chrysler E-class. What about them?

> Let's not get started on all the different things that were called New
> Yorker from 1980 to 1990.

Oh, no, let's! There was the M-body Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue (not
to be confused with the K-car derivative or the AC-body introduced in '89
or so as a rebadged Dodge Die-nasty.
Old October 24th 04, 03:06 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Tegger® wrote:
>

> > Krown or Rust Check is better. Way, way better.
> >

> I think both of those are purely northern (possibly Canuckian?) chains,
> I have never seen one of either, although I've heard Canuckian friends
> singing the praises of Krown.
>
> I live outside the rust belt, anyway, so I'm kind of on my own on this one.
>
> nate

Uh, last time I checked, the NON rust belt only included portions of
Texas, New Mexico, most of Arizona and California (except for the
immedidate coast).

MD is definitely in the rust belt...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4

Best Home Base Work Reynard 4x4 0 November 10th 04 03:27 AM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM
WE DO Custom 24kt. GOLD PLATING on your AUTO - HOME - EVERYWHERE! Goldies Gold Plating Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 01:32 AM