repair costs on lexus vs. mercedes vs. audi

Old December 3rd 04, 05:36 PM
LIW

Default repair costs on lexus vs. mercedes vs. audi

"D.D. Palmer" > wrote in message
> The problem is that, OK, maybe SOME Mercedes engines are still
> bulletproof....but all of the electronics are still temperamental and

costly
> to maintain/repair while that engines supposedly goes 400,000 miles.

At 65,000 miles, that was what was happening on my 99 S420. The engine and
drive train were bulletproof, but the heater/air conditioning had to be
replaced, the hydraulic vacuums for the doors had to be replaced, and the
trunk had stopped functioning again, the S.R.S. light had come on and the
quote was $140 to diagnose, and repairs possibly in the thousands.

All stuff that could be fixed, but if you have to pay a mechanic (as I do)
then it is thousands of dollars. I turned mine into an Audi S8 with an
extended warrranty, and got a much faster, much better handling, more
comfortable, better appointed car (2002 model). Quite happy with the
changeover.

We then got a Lexus RX330 for my wife, and she couldn't be happier.
Intellichoice, Consumer Reports, and so on, give Lexus very high marks for
reliability. Much better than modern Mercedes.

I don't think I'll be back to a Mercedes. We'll see how the Audi holds up.
Since it is an S8, which was the top of their line in 2002 it might do
better than other Audis, which have about the same reputation as modern
Mercedes, except that Audi seems to be on its way "up" and Mercedes seems to
be on its way "down" the reliability scales.

Lexus remains very solid.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:40 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>Audi HAS BEEN worse than MB, for a long time. And remains so.

Hmm. He seems to have owned both and is of a different opinion.

Lets see how the S8 holds up.

Regards

Wolfgang

--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI
Old December 3rd 04, 10:59 PM
D.D. Palmer

I've owned 3 Audis, 6 Lexi and 7 Mercedes. There is NO QUESTION AT ALL that
the Lexus quality/reliability is far superior to the German makes. Period.
I'll never go back.

Old December 4th 04, 03:31 AM
LIW

Yes, but my wife gets the Lexus. How has your experience been as between
the Audi and Mercedes lines?

I'm hoping my 2002 S8 Audi will be more reliable than my 1999 S420 was
(electronics, not mechanical, the small V 8 was great).

Old December 4th 04, 03:34 AM
LIW

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:
>
> > >Audi HAS BEEN worse than MB, for a long time. And remains so.

> > Hmm. He seems to have owned both and is of a different opinion.

> His S8 experience is miniscule compared to his M-B experience.

That's true. I won't know for quite a while since the S8 only has 22,000
miles on it. I do have an extended warranty, just in case, but that
doesn't answer the question of reliability. If this Audi isn't reliable,
it will be the last German vehicle that I own.

I will say that my Porsche 911s of the 70s and 80s were bulletproof, and I
still hold this bias that high end German vehicles "should" be excellent.
The Mercedes was a disappointment (mild) in that regard.

As you say, I don't know enough yet to have an opinion on the Audi. I love
the car, and I hope it will be reliable.