MAF Sensor, I need help

Old April 20th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dennis[_2_]

Default MAF Sensor, I need help

My son drives a 1999 Escort ZX2 with the L4 2.0 liter engine. He was
complaining that the car doesn't
have as much power that it used to and that it idles rough. I connected my
scan tool to check things out ( I'm new at this and far from an expert) and
noticed that the mass air flow sensor was 2.7 volts at idle. The specs are
..6-.9 volts.
The calculated engine load was 59.2 % at idle. The long term fuel trim
showed 2.3 %. There were no trouble codes set. Is this enough evidence to
replace the MAF sensor? I hear they aren't cheap so I need a second opinion.
Thanks so much for any help.

Dennis

Old April 20th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
maxwedge[_21_]

Clean the element in the maf with CRC ,maf cleaner.

--
maxwedge
maxwedge's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=19971

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 21st 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin

Dennis wrote:
> My son drives a 1999 Escort ZX2 with the L4 2.0 liter engine. He was
> complaining that the car doesn't
> have as much power that it used to and that it idles rough. I connected my
> scan tool to check things out ( I'm new at this and far from an expert) and
> noticed that the mass air flow sensor was 2.7 volts at idle. The specs are
> .6-.9 volts.
> The calculated engine load was 59.2 % at idle. The long term fuel trim
> showed 2.3 %. There were no trouble codes set. Is this enough evidence to
> replace the MAF sensor? I hear they aren't cheap so I need a second opinion.
> Thanks so much for any help.
>
> Dennis

On a Ford MAF check the baro reading. Off more than 8hz from 159hz or
so (depending on where you live) clean or replace the MAF. A bad MAF
will usually show minus trims at idle and plus trims under load.
Old April 21st 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dennis[_2_]

"Dennis" > wrote in message
. ..
> My son drives a 1999 Escort ZX2 with the L4 2.0 liter engine. He was
> complaining that the car doesn't
> have as much power that it used to and that it idles rough. I connected my
> scan tool to check things out ( I'm new at this and far from an expert)
> and noticed that the mass air flow sensor was 2.7 volts at idle. The specs
> are .6-.9 volts.
> The calculated engine load was 59.2 % at idle. The long term fuel trim
> showed 2.3 %. There were no trouble codes set. Is this enough evidence to
> replace the MAF sensor? I hear they aren't cheap so I need a second
> opinion. Thanks so much for any help.
>
> Dennis

Thanks, for the responses. As soon as I can pin my boy down long enough to
work on his car I'll
try cleaning the MAF sensor and go from there.

Thanks again,
Dennis