1993 Audi 80 front wing removal

Old April 18th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Grooove

Default 1993 Audi 80 front wing removal

I'm considering replacing the r/h front wing on my 80. It's the only part
with rust breaking through and also has a nasty dent that stops me
refitting the indicator moulding..

Could anyone point me to information about removing/refitting a wing
panel please?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David ~ Lincoln UK
Old April 18th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ

For those of us less familiar with the King's English: What is a wing panel?

Old April 18th 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

TonyJ wrote:
> For those of us less familiar with the King's English: What is a wing
> panel?

Quarter-panel, perhaps?

Old April 18th 07, 11:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Alf.F

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:47:21 -0500, TonyJ >
wrote:

>For those of us less familiar with the King's English: What is a wing panel?
>
>Grooove wrote:
>> I'm considering replacing the r/h front wing on my 80. It's the only part
>> with rust breaking through and also has a nasty dent that stops me
>> refitting the indicator moulding..
>>
>> Could anyone point me to information about removing/refitting a wing
>> panel please?

Let me guess.. rust .. old car ... wing ..
Where does rust mainly occur on old cars? Wheel..No. Hood..No
Another clue was the dent. Where do these mostly occurs?
Indicators.. check your dad's car.
Front - the part in driving direction.
R/h - Indicates which side of car. Opposite of l/h.
To many clues and you was not able to do a clever guess?
English is not my native language either, but I have basic knowledge
about old cars, dents and rust. Wing panel seems to be a good
description of the actual part.
Hang on and you will learn a lot here.

/Alf
Old April 19th 07, 12:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ

Alf.F wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:47:21 -0500, TonyJ >
> wrote:
>

>>For those of us less familiar with the King's English: What is a wing panel?
>>
>>Grooove wrote:
>>
>>>I'm considering replacing the r/h front wing on my 80. It's the only part
>>>with rust breaking through and also has a nasty dent that stops me
>>>refitting the indicator moulding..
>>>
>>>Could anyone point me to information about removing/refitting a wing
>>>panel please?
>>>

> Let me guess.. rust .. old car ... wing ..
> Where does rust mainly occur on old cars? Wheel..No. Hood..No
> Another clue was the dent. Where do these mostly occurs?
> Indicators.. check your dad's car.
> Front - the part in driving direction.
> R/h - Indicates which side of car. Opposite of l/h.
> To many clues and you was not able to do a clever guess?
> English is not my native language either, but I have basic knowledge
> about old cars, dents and rust. Wing panel seems to be a good
> description of the actual part.
> Hang on and you will learn a lot here.
>
> /Alf

Alf ...
Really. You haven't read your clues or history very well before responding. I
have been posting on here for about five years. I am 61 years old and my dad
doesn't drive anymore at 91 years old.

I have owned six Audis since 1986 and worked on them all. I also help a number
of friends on their Audis in addition to offering advice here and on AudiWorld
forums. I have replaced several front fenders on them. I have the information to
help the OP but wanted to be clear on what part was been referred to.

At this point I will let you handle the reply. Hope you have the correct
experience for the reply.

You missed on your poorly thought out reply!
Old April 19th 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default 1993 Audi 80 front wing removal AKA front fender

After a very brief search on google.com...............
The front wing is sometimes called the front fender. I learn something new
everyday! <g>

http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/product_i...ee171317f078bf
or
http://tinyurl.com/2r6ulm

I think my '83 Audi 4000S could stand new R/H and L/H front wings too! ;-)
--
later,
dave

Old April 19th 07, 04:19 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Alf.F

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:08:51 -0500, TonyJ >
wrote:

>Alf.F wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:47:21 -0500, TonyJ >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>For those of us less familiar with the King's English: What is a wing panel?

>> Let me guess.. rust .. old car ... wing ..
>> Where does rust mainly occur on old cars? Wheel..No. Hood..No
>> Another clue was the dent. Where do these mostly occurs?
>> Indicators.. check your dad's car.
>> Front - the part in driving direction.
>> R/h - Indicates which side of car. Opposite of l/h.
>> To many clues and you was not able to do a clever guess?
>> English is not my native language either, but I have basic knowledge
>> about old cars, dents and rust. Wing panel seems to be a good
>> description of the actual part.
>> Hang on and you will learn a lot here.
>>
>> /Alf

>Alf ...
>Really. You haven't read your clues

I wrote them.

> or history very well before responding. I
>have been posting on here for about five years. I am 61 years old and my dad
>doesn't drive anymore at 91 years old.
>
>I have owned six Audis since 1986 and worked on them all. I also help a number
>of friends on their Audis in addition to offering advice here and on AudiWorld
>forums. I have replaced several front fenders on them. I have the information to
>help the OP but wanted to be clear on what part was been referred to.

I did belive you was joking. My english is poor but I had no problem
to understand very clear.

>At this point I will let you handle the reply. Hope you have the correct
>experience for the reply.

No experience at all but basic knowledge. Do not understand why you
hope that I should have experince.
I sold my garage 1980 due to allergy. Not against cars but most kinds
of soap and some kinds of oil. Dirty cars and no soap is not any good
combination. Have since not even repaired a bicycle.

My first reaction to the original posting was that if help was needed
for that simple thing, does he have any tools, knows anything about
needed rust coating, what type of gaskets to use, what to do with
bolts that gets broken and so on. It is a simple job but for a good
job is some experience and good tools needed.

A quick instruction how to replace front fender:
It is very simple, remove front wheel, direction indicator, inner
fender and bumber in that order. It is possible to do the job without
removing bumber but it is a lot more complicated.
After that remove the fender. Just common tools needed, a metric
wrench set or a socket set (most bolts in the fender have 10 mm head,
if I remember right) and a big screwdriver. No hidden bolts but there
are some bolt behind the door that is a bit tricky to reach.
Hardest bit can be to make the new fender to fit nice. I prefer to
paint the fender before mounting but any mistakes during mounting can
be very visible.

>You missed on your poorly thought out reply!

Agree.

/Alf
Old April 19th 07, 09:15 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Grooove

Alf.F > wrote in
:

> A quick instruction how to replace front fender:

Wow, quite a discussion I sparked off there. Didn't expect that at all..

I guess the problems arise because of the different terminology in
different countries. The 'boot' in the UK is the 'trunk' in the USA.. etc
etc.

Thanks for the quick guide. I'm no auto engineer (actually I'm a plumber
who also builds computer systems) so I'm trying to find out if the job is
manageable by someone with reasonable technical skills.

Thanks for the info so far. Much appreciated.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David ~ Lincoln UK
Old April 19th 07, 09:17 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Grooove

Grooove > wrote in
:

> Thanks for the info so far. Much appreciated.

Oh yes, just to be absolutely clear. What we call the front wing in the
UK is the side panel over the front wheel.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David ~ Lincoln UK
Old April 19th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Alf.F

:

>> A quick instruction how to replace front fender:

>Wow, quite a discussion I sparked off there. Didn't expect that at all..
>
>I guess the problems arise because of the different terminology in
>different countries. The 'boot' in the UK is the 'trunk' in the USA.. etc
>etc.
>
>Thanks for the quick guide. I'm no auto engineer (actually I'm a plumber
>who also builds computer systems) so I'm trying to find out if the job is
>manageable by someone with reasonable technical skills.

Then you probably already have needed tools. The replacement is done
in less then an hour.

/Alf

Survey: How much gap between your front tyre and wing/fender? Spike[_1_] VW air cooled 0 November 27th 06 12:09 AM
Damaged front wing ray Corvette 0 March 7th 06 03:38 PM
E36 front wing replacement? jk BMW 3 July 7th 05 07:36 PM
Replacing a front wing. tonyelkins VW water cooled 6 June 10th 05 03:12 PM
1990 Audi 80 ECU removal PSH Audi 0 September 2nd 04 03:39 AM