Help: 1989 Full Size Chevy Blazer U-Joints.

Old January 20th 04, 03:32 AM
Rocky

Default Help: 1989 Full Size Chevy Blazer U-Joints.

I need to replace the original rear U-Joints on my 1989 Full Size
Chevy Blazer. I was looking at them and noticed that they do not have
the usual circlips but instead there is some sort of plug or pin going
into the side of the bearing cups. How do I take these apart myself if
possible. I do not have a torch if heat is needed. How are the cups
held in place on original. If I replace with after market ones will
there be clips or do they have to be secured like the originals?

It's strange I have the complete comprehensive factory service
manuals. There is a complete section on the propeller shaft and how to
balance it, check it for run-out, and how to completely replace the
propeller shaft, but there is absolutely no mention on how to just
replace the universal joints alone? WTF!

Thanks
Rocky

Old January 20th 04, 02:49 PM
Survivalist

"Rocky" > wrote in message
> I need to replace the original rear U-Joints on my 1989 Full Size
> Chevy Blazer. I was looking at them and noticed that they do not have
> the usual circlips but instead there is some sort of plug or pin going
> into the side of the bearing cups. How do I take these apart myself if
> possible. I do not have a torch if heat is needed. How are the cups
> held in place on original. If I replace with after market ones will
> there be clips or do they have to be secured like the originals?
>
> It's strange I have the complete comprehensive factory service
> manuals. There is a complete section on the propeller shaft and how to
> balance it, check it for run-out, and how to completely replace the
> propeller shaft, but there is absolutely no mention on how to just
> replace the universal joints alone? WTF!
>
> Thanks
> Rocky

It's been a lot of years but if I remember right the plugs are fairly soft.
I think I knocked them out just like changing a regular joint then used
circlips when I put it back together.

Old January 20th 04, 02:49 PM
Survivalist