noisy power steering in colder weather at startup

Old September 12th 08, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
mike_n

Default noisy power steering in colder weather at startup

i have an a4 2.8 quatro - 1997. as the weather gets colder at night,
down to 50deg f or so, the power steering pump makes a growling sound
for the first few minutes of driving when i turn. the further i turn,
the more the noise. after a few minutes, the noise is gone. i am
assuming that the fluid is getting less viscous as it is being pushed
around. does anyone know if this is a case for replacing the fluid
(which has never been done) or do i need a new pump?
Old September 12th 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

mike_n wrote:
> i have an a4 2.8 quatro - 1997. as the weather gets colder at night,
> down to 50deg f or so, the power steering pump makes a growling sound
> for the first few minutes of driving when i turn. the further i turn,
> the more the noise. after a few minutes, the noise is gone. i am
> assuming that the fluid is getting less viscous as it is being pushed
> around. does anyone know if this is a case for replacing the fluid
> (which has never been done) or do i need a new pump?

Have you checked the PS fluid level? If it is low try to top it up and
there may be air in the system. Try to purge the air by turning the
steering wheel several times from one extreme to the other while stopped
and the engine running.
Old September 15th 08, 02:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
mike_n

On Sep 12, 3:13*pm, TonyJ <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote:
> mike_n wrote:
> > i have an a4 2.8 quatro - 1997. * as the weather gets colder at night,
> > down to 50deg f or so, the power steering pump makes a growling sound
> > for the first few minutes of driving when i turn. *the further i turn,
> > the more the noise. *after a few minutes, the noise is gone. *i am
> > assuming that the fluid is getting less viscous as it is being pushed
> > around. *does anyone know if this is a case for replacing the fluid
> > (which has never been done) or do i need a new pump?

> Have you checked the PS fluid level? If it is low try to top it up and
> there may be air in the system. Try to purge the air by turning the
> steering wheel several times from one extreme to the other while stopped
> and the engine running.

i checked the fluid level and it is OK. The noise occurs only when
the outside temp is below 50 and in the first few minutes of driving.
In warmer weather or after the car has ran for a while, there is no
noise.
Old September 15th 08, 08:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mike

mike_n wrote:
> On Sep 12, 3:13 pm, TonyJ <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote:
>> mike_n wrote:
>>> i have an a4 2.8 quatro - 1997. as the weather gets colder at night,
>>> down to 50deg f or so, the power steering pump makes a growling sound
>>> for the first few minutes of driving when i turn. the further i turn,
>>> the more the noise. after a few minutes, the noise is gone. i am
>>> assuming that the fluid is getting less viscous as it is being pushed
>>> around. does anyone know if this is a case for replacing the fluid
>>> (which has never been done) or do i need a new pump?

>> Have you checked the PS fluid level? If it is low try to top it up and
>> there may be air in the system. Try to purge the air by turning the
>> steering wheel several times from one extreme to the other while stopped
>> and the engine running.

> i checked the fluid level and it is OK. The noise occurs only when
> the outside temp is below 50 and in the first few minutes of driving.
> In warmer weather or after the car has ran for a while, there is no
> noise.

Is the steering heavier when the pump is making the noise?

Mike
Old September 16th 08, 12:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default noisy power steering in colder weather at startup 1997 A4 2.8

Has the fluid been changed recently? Maybe it needs to be flushed out and
new synthetic mineral oil installed.
JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old September 16th 08, 02:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
mike_n

On Sep 15, 7:43*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> Has the fluid been changed recently? *Maybe it needs to be flushed out and
> new synthetic mineral oil installed.
> JMHO
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "Mike" > wrote in message

> > mike_n wrote:

> >> i checked the fluid level and it is OK. *The noise occurs only when
> >> the outside temp is below 50 and in the first few minutes of driving.
> >> In warmer weather or after the car has ran for a while, *there is no
> >> noise.

> > Is the steering heavier when the pump is making the noise?

> > Mike- Hide quoted text -

i have never changed the fluid at all - it is at least 8 years old.
the steering doesn't get heavier when I hear the noise but I can feel
the noise thru the steering wheel. whatever the cause is, it is
definitely providing some feedback thru the wheel.
Old November 29th 08, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Karl

At the moment I am experiencing the same problem with noisy cold
start-up. I recently had to change the oil and put in generic fluid.
Since the oil change it has been noisy. The previous post "Synthetic
Mineral Oil" is interesting. I have never heard of this. The dip stick
indicates top up with mineral oil. Does anyone know the desired oil to
use. I think this may be key.

--
Karl
Karl's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=7795

Old November 30th 08, 01:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

http://www.blauparts.com/categories.asp?cat=476

Sometimes it depends on which year Audi you have, but I would say go with
the synthetic with any year that you have. ;-)
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...teeringflu id
"All 1990 - on Audi models have come filled from the factory with the
synthetic CHF 11S Audi hydraulic fluid (G002000). Please Note: Never mix
generic hydraulic fluid or other fluid with the CHF 7.1 or CHF 11S Audi
hydraulic fluid (G002000). If you or someone else did, flush the Audi
hydraulic fluid as described below."

Now are you sure it is the P/S pump making the noise?