A6 95 rear view detached from windshield

Old November 11th 08, 01:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

Default A6 95 rear view detached from windshield

The rear view mirror in my Audi A6 1995 fell off. Is there a way to
separate the small metal base from the rest of the mirror which would
make gluing the mirror back to the windshield a lot easier?

Thanks,

Andre
Old November 12th 08, 02:30 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I have installed a mirror and base using 5 minute epoxy to my '91 Passat
windshield. The mirror is supposed to twist off/on the base. I did not
want to glue on the base and then try installing the mirror.
So I just glued it as an assembly. Mark area on the outside of windshield,
sand the glass and base a little, degrease, apply a little 5-minute epoxy to
both the glass and the base, install the mirror and hold it until it sets.
I sometimes use a small light (trouble light) to heat up the windshield to
hasten setting & drying times.
I have even tried the Harbor Freight $0.99 epoxy with good success. ;-)
I have re-installed many mirrors on Audis and VWs over the decades and
usually I can install them separately securing the base with duct tape until
the epoxy sets. <g>

I would think that maybe your base will twist off or pop off of the mirror.
Not sure of this though.
Put up a picture somewhere so it can be determined how it gets assembled.
;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old November 29th 08, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

Old November 29th 08, 08:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I thought you fixed the problem and did not look back! lol
Thanks for posting what worked! ;-)
Congrats to you also!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

BTW you are welcome. <g>

wrote:
> I have installed a mirror and base using 5 minute epoxy to my '91 Passat
> windshield. The mirror is supposed to twist off/on the base. I did not
> want to glue on the base and then try installing the mirror.
> So I just glued it as an assembly. Mark area on the outside of windshield,
> sand the glass and base a little, degrease, apply a little 5-minute epoxy
> both the glass and the base, install the mirror and hold it until it sets.
> I sometimes use a small light (trouble light) to heat up the windshield to
> hasten setting & drying times.
> I have even tried the Harbor Freight $0.99 epoxy with good success. ;-)
> I have re-installed many mirrors on Audis and VWs over the decades and
> usually I can install them separately securing the base with duct tape
> until
> the epoxy sets. <g>
>
> I would think that maybe your base will twist off or pop off of the
> mirror.
> Not sure of this though.
> Put up a picture somewhere so it can be determined how it gets assembled.
> ;-)
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
> 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto
>
> "Andre" > wrote in message

> > The rear view mirror in my Audi A6 1995 fell off. Is there a way to
> > separate the small metal base from the rest of the mirror which would
> > make gluing the mirror back to the windshield a lot easier?

> > Thanks,

> > Andre

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the info. I used a commercial glue for that
purpose the type you buy in a small package at an auto parts store.
I detached the base from the mirror by grabbing the base using a
vise. It was tricky because the twist off action could only work
easily with the mirror firmly attached to the windshield. I coudl
then easily glue the base to the windshield. Gave it two days to cure
and then twisted the mirror back on.

Andre

Rear view cameras Ed Technology 9 March 19th 06 12:25 AM
Rear view mirror BCRandy Mazda 2 November 29th 05 07:48 PM
156 Rear View Mirror Malcolm Osborne Alfa Romeo 3 October 26th 05 11:29 PM
e36 Rear view fell off. Tbird-Steve BMW 4 July 1st 05 06:56 PM
How to glue rear-view mirror to windshield? mark sabatini General 3 May 26th 04 09:52 PM