Decent thermostats?

Old October 28th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

Default Decent thermostats?

I used to like Robertshaw but I can't figure out where they went.

I replaced the OEM-looking 'stat in my wife's '94 Acclaim with a Stant
last year. The temperature went from rock-steady at all times to very,
very variable, sometimes approaching overheating when I'd idle in a parking
lot after a good drive. Looking at the brand-new Stant in front of me
next to the OEM-looking oldie, it's obvious the flow hole in the Stant
is considerably smaller.

Went to AutoZone and they sell three no-name brands, all of which looked
to me like cheap tin stampings (though they had about the right size of
flow hole) so I took a pass.

The rubber bushings (!) in the OEM-looking 'stat are cracked badly, or
I'd put it back in.

So who (preferably in meatspace) sells decent auto thermostats?

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet
Old October 29th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

clifto > wrote in
:

> I used to like Robertshaw but I can't figure out where they went.
>
> I replaced the OEM-looking 'stat in my wife's '94 Acclaim with a Stant
> last year. The temperature went from rock-steady at all times to very,
> very variable, sometimes approaching overheating when I'd idle in a
> parking lot after a good drive.

It's been my experience that the only thermostats worth considering are
those sold by the dealer.

Whether this is true for American cars the way it is for Japanese, I cannot
say.

--
Tegger

Old October 29th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

clifto wrote:
> I used to like Robertshaw but I can't figure out where they went.
>
> I replaced the OEM-looking 'stat in my wife's '94 Acclaim with a Stant
> last year. The temperature went from rock-steady at all times to very,
> very variable, sometimes approaching overheating when I'd idle in a parking
> lot after a good drive. Looking at the brand-new Stant in front of me
> next to the OEM-looking oldie, it's obvious the flow hole in the Stant
> is considerably smaller.
>
> Went to AutoZone and they sell three no-name brands, all of which looked
> to me like cheap tin stampings (though they had about the right size of
> flow hole) so I took a pass.
>
> The rubber bushings (!) in the OEM-looking 'stat are cracked badly, or
> I'd put it back in.

A plumbing supply or real hardware store may have rubber bushings or
washers that fit.

I won't buy an aftermarket thermostats or radiator caps because of my
experience with the former and my father's with the latter. My
father's car gushed coolant with two aftermarket caps but worked fine
when he took the OEM cap off his other car.

Old October 29th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

Tegger wrote:

> It's been my experience that the only thermostats worth considering are
> those sold by the dealer.

What about those Stant thermostats that are warranted for life and
cost a lot more than the other Stant thermostats? Is the extra cost
just for the warranty, or are they actually better?

Old October 29th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Oct 28, 4:23 pm, clifto > wrote:
> I used to like Robertshaw but I can't figure out where they went.
>
> I replaced the OEM-looking 'stat in my wife's '94 Acclaim with a Stant
> last year. The temperature went from rock-steady at all times to very,
> very variable, sometimes approaching overheating when I'd idle in a parking
> lot after a good drive. Looking at the brand-new Stant in front of me
> next to the OEM-looking oldie, it's obvious the flow hole in the Stant
> is considerably smaller.

I think you have identified the problem and the solution. Just buy a
replacement from the dealer rather than an after-market substitute
that apparently does not have the same specifications. Don't reuse a
thermostat gasket or seal...ever....

Old October 29th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Neil Nelson

In article .com>,
larry moe 'n curly > wrote:

> Tegger wrote:
>
> > It's been my experience that the only thermostats worth considering are
> > those sold by the dealer.

> What about those Stant thermostats that are warranted for life and
> cost a lot more than the other Stant thermostats? Is the extra cost
> just for the warranty, or are they actually better?

'Superstat'
Old October 29th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
>> It's been my experience that the only thermostats worth considering are
>> those sold by the dealer.

> What about those Stant thermostats that are warranted for life and
> cost a lot more than the other Stant thermostats? Is the extra cost
> just for the warranty, or are they actually better?

In my case, their best premium thermostat had the same size bore as the
one I put in the car and the new one I haev here. The bore is too small.

Old October 29th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

John S. wrote:
> On Oct 28, 4:23 pm, clifto > wrote:
>> I used to like Robertshaw but I can't figure out where they went.
>>
>> I replaced the OEM-looking 'stat in my wife's '94 Acclaim with a Stant
>> last year. The temperature went from rock-steady at all times to very,
>> very variable, sometimes approaching overheating when I'd idle in a parking
>> lot after a good drive. Looking at the brand-new Stant in front of me
>> next to the OEM-looking oldie, it's obvious the flow hole in the Stant
>> is considerably smaller.

> I think you have identified the problem and the solution. Just buy a
> replacement from the dealer rather than an after-market substitute
> that apparently does not have the same specifications.

I may have to, but it'll probably cost $30. What this country needs is a
quality aftermarket auto parts manufacturer.

> Don't reuse a
> thermostat gasket or seal...ever....

Preaching to the choir.

Old October 29th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:23:24 -0500, clifto > wrote:

>I used to like Robertshaw but I can't figure out where they went.

>I replaced the OEM-looking 'stat in my wife's '94 Acclaim with a Stant
>last year. The temperature went from rock-steady at all times to very,
>very variable, sometimes approaching overheating when I'd idle in a parking
>lot after a good drive. Looking at the brand-new Stant in front of me
>next to the OEM-looking oldie, it's obvious the flow hole in the Stant
>is considerably smaller.

>Went to AutoZone and they sell three no-name brands, all of which looked
>to me like cheap tin stampings (though they had about the right size of
>flow hole) so I took a pass.

>The rubber bushings (!) in the OEM-looking 'stat are cracked badly, or
>I'd put it back in.

>So who (preferably in meatspace) sells decent auto thermostats?

autozone sells crap.

Try NAPA or the dealer. Worse case, you'd pay about $25 more.
Old October 30th 07, 07:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

Default How long do thermostats last?

Do factory thermostats normally last 22 years? I last tested mine two
years ago by heating it in a pot of water and verified that it started
to open at 180F and was fully open by least 8mm at 200F.