Driverless Truck Drives in Circles

Old November 4th 06, 05:48 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher

Default Driverless Truck Drives in Circles

How come all the while that the truck is going in a reverse circle all
the tires are fine, but at the end of the video after the truck has
run out of gas there is a scene with firemen looking at the passenger
side and both tires are flat. Why would they flatten the tires after
the truck had stopped??????????

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:31:21 -0800, Scott en Aztlán

Old November 4th 06, 04:56 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Dave[_4_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> How come all the while that the truck is going in a reverse circle all
> the tires are fine, but at the end of the video after the truck has
> run out of gas there is a scene with firemen looking at the passenger
> side and both tires are flat. Why would they flatten the tires after
> the truck had stopped??????????

I thought I'd read that they used a spike strip to flatten the tires. The
way those things are designed, they are supposed to NOT flatten the tire
quickly. Just gradually let the air out . . .-Dave

Old November 5th 06, 02:14 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Matthew Russotto

In article ews.net>,
Dave > wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
.. .
>> How come all the while that the truck is going in a reverse circle all
>> the tires are fine, but at the end of the video after the truck has
>> run out of gas there is a scene with firemen looking at the passenger
>> side and both tires are flat. Why would they flatten the tires after
>> the truck had stopped??????????
>>

>I thought I'd read that they used a spike strip to flatten the tires. The
>way those things are designed, they are supposed to NOT flatten the tire
>quickly. Just gradually let the air out . . .-Dave

Obvious problem with that plan is that flattening the tires won't stop
the truck. Maybe they flattened the passenger side to get it to go in
a circle, at which point you might as well just let it run out of
gas.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 5th 06, 05:16 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Dave[_4_]

>>I thought I'd read that they used a spike strip to flatten the tires. The
>>way those things are designed, they are supposed to NOT flatten the tire
>>quickly. Just gradually let the air out . . .-Dave

> Obvious problem with that plan is that flattening the tires won't stop
> the truck. Maybe they flattened the passenger side to get it to go in
> a circle, at which point you might as well just let it run out of
> gas.

Problem with that plan is, how long would a driverless vehicle running in
circles occupy the same circle in space? (as opposed to say, doing circles
in the elementary school playground, or circles in the park, or circles in a
grocery store, etc?) Driving in circles is not an efficient method of
getting from point A to point B, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the
vehicle would STAY at point A until it ran out of gas. -Dave

Old November 6th 06, 05:24 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:56:14 -0500, "Dave" > wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
.. .
>> How come all the while that the truck is going in a reverse circle all
>> the tires are fine, but at the end of the video after the truck has
>> run out of gas there is a scene with firemen looking at the passenger
>> side and both tires are flat. Why would they flatten the tires after
>> the truck had stopped??????????
>>

>I thought I'd read that they used a spike strip to flatten the tires. The
>way those things are designed, they are supposed to NOT flatten the tire
>quickly. Just gradually let the air out . . .-Dave

Using a spike strip would be pretty stupid. Clearly the truck was in
a stable configuration, many vehicle are in a tight reverse turn like
this. Flattening the tires may cause instability causing the truck to
go who knows where. On second thought, doing something stupid would
be par for the course for the typical cop.
Old November 6th 06, 01:44 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

>>Problem with that plan is, how long would a driverless vehicle running in
>>circles occupy the same circle in space?

> I drove by the scene this morning on my way back from the airport.
> Judging from the tire tracks in the grass, it appears the truck
> travelled in progressively overlapping near-circles - kinda like a
> gigantic Spirograph.

Well as long as it just tore up some grass, that's kinda cool. -Dave

Old November 7th 06, 01:51 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:

> How come all the while that the truck is going in a reverse circle all
> the tires are fine, but at the end of the video after the truck has
> run out of gas there is a scene with firemen looking at the passenger
> side and both tires are flat. Why would they flatten the tires after
> the truck had stopped??????????

Vengeance.

--
Cheers,