Extra Wires Radio Wiring Harness 91 Vanagon

Old February 10th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Extra Wires Radio Wiring Harness 91 Vanagon

I am trying to install a Kenwood tape cassette head and CD changer into
my 91 Vanagon. I bought a wiring harness at a local car stereo place
and sat down to solder it to the Kenwood plug. Everything seemed to
match up except I now have two brown wires, an orange wire and a blue
and white wire from the wiring harness (Volkswagen side) not going
anywhere because they aren't paired up with the Kenwood wires.

I plugged it in to try it (because I was impatient cranky from fumes)
and it didn't power up. I took the face off of the stereo and a red
light flashes to scare away easily scared off hoodlums.

I figured out from Usenet posts:

1) The brown wires are probably ground (why are there two of them and
where do they go?)

2) The orange wire is illumination for when your lights are on and are
sometimes not needed (where does this get connected to?)

3) The blue and white wire is marked power antenna and since I don't
have a power antenna I guess this one can go no where. There is also a
blue and white Then I read about this guy that had the same problem
with power until he connected the blue wire</a>. Would I connect this
to the blue and white wire that is looped and capped from the Kenwood
wiring harness?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...820b137a72cb48

Please advise as I need tunes to drown out the engine in order to keep
what is left of my sanity.

Thanks,
Rob

Old February 12th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Hi,
This info is from a Kenwood CD/radio deck going into a Golf. I bought
the 3rd party wiring harness to connect the deck to the Golf. Just so
we're consistent on which wiring harness we're both talking about,
there are the wires coming from the deck (deck side) and wires from the
3rd party wiring harness (VW side). I'm assuming the 3rd party harness
connects fine to the plugs already in your Van and so you just left
with the bare wire ends on the VW side to connect to the deck side.

To confirm, unused wires from the deck side (should be already taped
up or capped off):
blue/white: power to optional power amplifier
blue: power to power antenna
brown: signal from a built in cell phone handsfree system to reduce
deck volume when cell phone call comes in.

Deck side
red: connect to ignition or some other power that comes on when car
is on
yellow: connect to always on power (keeps memory settings in deck
alive)

Note, you can optionally connect the red wire from the deck to an
always-on power so you can listen to the radio with the car off in
typical VW fashion. Just remember to power down the deck completely,
don't leave it in standby, or you'll drain your battery.

Sounds like you have extra wires on the VW side. Assuming you've
connected the 3rd party harness to all the plugs already in the Van,
you should be able to account for the wires in the VW side harness used
for the speakers, power, and ground. Could it be the harness has
capacity for the power antenna etc which aren't used?

If you have the red blinking "anti-theft" or "hey look, I'm a stereo
and the face plate is hidden somewhere in the vehicle" light, then
you're deck is getting power through its yellow wire. I would say you
just need to provide power to the red wire on the deck side. Try
temporarily connecting it to any always hot (red) wire at the fuse box
and see if the deck powers up.

Good tunes,
-Tony

'06 Mustang Colors, Part II Ken Zwyers Ford Mustang 37 February 11th 06 04:45 AM
2001 Exlporer sport radio wiring clayton6870 Ford Explorer 2 December 30th 05 12:31 AM
swapping 96 for 02 radio, harness? wkearney99 VW water cooled 2 June 25th 05 05:18 AM
E43 Business Radio Wires? Andy BMW 1 December 19th 04 01:08 AM
1995 Honda Passport - Wiring harness - Technical Question ajpdla Honda 0 November 1st 04 03:40 PM