Q45 won't start (cranks easily) how to diagnose?

Old October 16th 17, 01:18 PM posted to alt.autos.infiniti.q45,alt.autos.nissan,rec.autos.tech
Paypaul

Default Q45 won't start (cranks easily) how to diagnose?

replying to Alora Duncan, Paypaul wrote:
97 Q45 won’t start and I don’t hear the fuel pump I need to know where the
fuel relay and control module is located

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/nissan/q4...ose-12482-.htm

Old October 16th 17, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.infiniti.q45,rec.autos.tech
Your Name[_2_]

On 2017-10-16 12:18:01 +0000, Paypaul said:

> replying to Alora Duncan, Paypaul wrote:
> 97 Q45 won’t start and I don’t hear the fuel pump I need to know where the
> fuel relay and control module is located

Easy ... your local Nissan service centre can (probably) quickly
diagnose the problem.

Old October 17th 17, 03:39 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.infiniti.q45,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/10/2017 8:14 AM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2017-10-16 12:18:01 +0000, Paypaul said:
>
>> replying to AloraÂ* Duncan, PaypaulÂ* wrote:
>> 97 Q45 won’t start and I don’t hear the fuel pump I need to know
>> where the
>> fuel relay and control module is located

> Easy ... your local Nissan service centre can (probably) quickly
> diagnose the problem.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who think a code
scanner is a panacea for all of a car's ills. What seems to be getting
lost here is that error codes provide a start point, a *guide*, but they
are not the be all and end all of matters diagnosis. The diagnostician
still needs a very good working knowledge of all the underlying systems
for, without that, the error codes are just *numbers* and can lead
someone to waste inordinate amounts of time and money.

--

Noddy! Have you made that call, sent that email?
The number to call: 1300 304 064

Xeno
Old October 17th 17, 02:32 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.infiniti.q45,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Your Name > wrote:
>On 2017-10-16 12:18:01 +0000, Paypaul said:
>
>> replying to Alora Duncan, Paypaul wrote:
>> 97 Q45 won’t start and I don’t hear the fuel pump I need to know where the
>> fuel relay and control module is located

>Easy ... your local Nissan service centre can (probably) quickly
>diagnose the problem.

Not if his local Nissan service center is anything like mine is. The service
writer seems to have a preset list of services that every car needs.
--scott

Old October 17th 17, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.infiniti.q45,rec.autos.tech
Your Name[_2_]

On 2017-10-17 13:32:26 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:
> Your Name > wrote:
>> On 2017-10-16 12:18:01 +0000, Paypaul said:
>>>
>>> replying to Alora Duncan, Paypaul wrote:
>>> 97 Q45 won’t start and I don’t hear the fuel pump I need to know where the
>>> fuel relay and control module is located

>> Easy ... your local Nissan service centre can (probably) quickly
>> diagnose the problem.

> Not if his local Nissan service center is anything like mine is. The service
> writer seems to have a preset list of services that every car needs.

Of course they do, in terms of the regular maintainence "service", but
for repairs it's different. If your local centre can't do proper
repairs, then either they are not really Nissan licensed or they
shouldn't be.

Old October 17th 17, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.infiniti.q45,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Your Name > wrote:
>On 2017-10-17 13:32:26 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:
>> Your Name > wrote:

>>> Easy ... your local Nissan service centre can (probably) quickly
>>> diagnose the problem.

>> Not if his local Nissan service center is anything like mine is. The service
>> writer seems to have a preset list of services that every car needs.

>Of course they do, in terms of the regular maintainence "service", but
>for repairs it's different. If your local centre can't do proper
>repairs, then either they are not really Nissan licensed or they
>shouldn't be.

They might be able to diagnose my X, but they are more worried about telling
me that my Y and Z are about to fail and need immediate attention and that
if I don't replace my windshield wipers for $75 the sky will fall on me.
And that rip in the upholstery has to be fixed immediately, and those tires
are not authorized tires from the dealer but are third-party tires that are
suspicious and should be replaced. They don't _want_ to fix my car, they
want to sell me a new car and take my car in as trade-in.
--scott
Old October 18th 17, 01:42 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.infiniti.q45,rec.autos.tech
Your Name[_2_]

On 2017-10-17 21:35:21 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:
> Your Name > wrote:

>>> Not if his local Nissan service center is anything like mine is. The service
>>> writer seems to have a preset list of services that every car needs.

>> Of course they do, in terms of the regular maintainence "service", but
>> for repairs it's different. If your local centre can't do proper
>> repairs, then either they are not really Nissan licensed or they
>> shouldn't be.

> They might be able to diagnose my X, but they are more worried about telling
> me that my Y and Z are about to fail and need immediate attention and that
> if I don't replace my windshield wipers for $75 the sky will fall on me.
> And that rip in the upholstery has to be fixed immediately, and those tires
> are not authorized tires from the dealer but are third-party tires that are
> suspicious and should be replaced. They don't _want_ to fix my car, they
> want to sell me a new car and take my car in as trade-in.

Maybe you should report them to Nissan (and/or the Automobile
Association, etc.) and get their license revoked ... as well as finding
another service centre, which may be impossible in smaller towns.

Here in New Zealand we have the various licensed Nissan dealers, but
also independent repair centres (both nationwide chains and small
individual companies) who are certified by the Motor Trade Association
as being legitimate and responsible (as well as insured) ... too many
complaints that can be substantiated, and the repair centre gets their
certificate revoked, although they can technically keep trading, they
can't display the MTA certificate on the wall which *should* deter any
potential customer with some sense from using them.

Old October 18th 17, 05:48 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.infiniti.q45,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Your Name wrote:
> On 2017-10-17 21:35:21 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:
>> Your Name > wrote:
>>> Of course they do, in terms of the regular maintainence "service", but
>>> for repairs it's different. If your local centre can't do proper
>>> repairs, then either they are not really Nissan licensed or they
>>> shouldn't be.

>> They might be able to diagnose my X, but they are more worried about telling
>> me that my Y and Z are about to fail and need immediate attention and that
>> if I don't replace my windshield wipers for $75 the sky will fall on me.
>> And that rip in the upholstery has to be fixed immediately, and those tires
>> are not authorized tires from the dealer but are third-party tires that are
>> suspicious and should be replaced. They don't _want_ to fix my car, they
>> want to sell me a new car and take my car in as trade-in.

> Maybe you should report them to Nissan (and/or the Automobile
> Association, etc.) and get their license revoked ... as well as finding
> another service centre, which may be impossible in smaller towns.
>
> Here in New Zealand we have the various licensed Nissan dealers, but
> also independent repair centres (both nationwide chains and small
> individual companies) who are certified by the Motor Trade Association
> as being legitimate and responsible (as well as insured) ... too many
> complaints that can be substantiated, and the repair centre gets their
> certificate revoked, although they can technically keep trading, they
> can't display the MTA certificate on the wall which *should* deter any
> potential customer with some sense from using them.

Doesn't happen here. This is the shorthand version of becoming a dealer
in the US.
The dealer hands the manufacturer a boatload of cash to buy the
franchise. The manufacturer gives them a list of tools they need and the
training schedule for factory classes.
They will send or a few folks to help the dealer get set up and test
them on a few repairs and they are in business.

If there are complaints to the manufacturer the dealer will be
approached and told "Don't do that again" The manufacturers rep will
talk to the vehicle owner and offer them free service or a set of floor
mats or something equally mundane. The customer thinks they won, the
dealer stays in business and the company is happy. If the mistake is
REALLY bad they might fire the guy mopping the floors as a show of faith
to the vehicle owner....

Actually diagnosing the cars problems, if they are beyond the easy stuff
falls to the one guy the dealer pays to show up and do that job. Some
don't even do that. They will load up the "trouble cars" and take them
to a central location or even to a different shop for the actual
diagnostic work to be done by an outside party.

--
Steve W.
Old October 23rd 17, 09:12 AM
RosarioC RosarioC is offline
Junior Member

You hit the nail on the head. I hate the way they operate, but what can you do…