How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

Old September 20th 17, 01:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve

Default How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?

I have never done it, but it's generally cheaper to buy the tools and do it
yourself than to pay someone else. Plus you generally get better parts.

I've never done a clutch.
This is a Toyota 4Runner 1998 2WD with the W59 5-speed.

Anyone have any idea what I'll need besides a transmission lift?

Have you done a clutch?
How hard is it?

If you ask what work I've done, I've done cooling system overhauls, and
alternator replacements and the like when needed.
Old September 20th 17, 01:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Dean Hoffman[_5_]

On 9/19/17 7:30 PM, Chaya Eve wrote:
> How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?
>
> I have never done it, but it's generally cheaper to buy the tools and do it
> yourself than to pay someone else. Plus you generally get better parts.
>
> I've never done a clutch.
> This is a Toyota 4Runner 1998 2WD with the W59 5-speed.

Cut some.
Look on Youtube. There are usually some videos showing stuff like
clutch
replacement.
Old September 20th 17, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:44:57 -0500, Dean Hoffman >
wrote:

>> This is a Toyota 4Runner 1998 2WD with the W59 5-speed.

> Cut some.
> Look on Youtube. There are usually some videos showing stuff like
> clutch
> replacement.

Youtube is pretty Spartan when it comes to things that most people don't
do. You'll NEVER find a DIY for your own vehicle, for example. Even if it's
as common as a Toyota 4Runner.

Search term: "diy clutch replacement w59 transmission" at Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tr ansmission

The closest is the pickup truck DIY.
Clutch replacement Toyota Tacoma Manual transmisson removal 1997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sscHblanc

There are ZERO 3rd-generation Toyota 4Runner clutch replacement DIYs on
Youtube.

Old September 20th 17, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 09/19/2017 06:30 PM, Chaya Eve wrote:
> How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?
>
> I have never done it, but it's generally cheaper to buy the tools and do it
> yourself than to pay someone else. Plus you generally get better parts.
>
> I've never done a clutch.
> This is a Toyota 4Runner 1998 2WD with the W59 5-speed.
>
> Anyone have any idea what I'll need besides a transmission lift?
>
> Have you done a clutch?
> How hard is it?

I've never done a 4runner but it's not difficult in a F150. Disconnect
the shift linkage and speedometer drive if it has one. Support the
engine under the crankcase. Drop the drive shaft. Figure out what you
need to do about the clutch/throwout bearing assembly. Remove a cross
member as needed. Support the transmission on the jack, remove the
bolts, and drop it out of the way. Figure out what you need to do about
the bellhousing if anything. Remove the pressure plate bolts. You'll
want to do that gradually and sequentially. You probably need to find a
way to rotate the engine.

At that point, examine the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, the
pilot bushing, and the face of the flywheel for any problems. You'll
need to check pricing but on a Ford the pressure plate assembly isn't
that expensive so you might want to replace it while you're at it.

https://www.amazon.com/ACT-Clutch-Al.../dp/B000JO5K84

You'll need one of these and should be able to find it locally. It keeps
the clutch plate in alignment while you reinstall the pressure plate. A
torque wrench would be real good to torque the pressure plate bolts.
After you get back to the point where you removed the transmission,
wheel it back in place and bolt it down. Theoretically the shaft just
slides into the clutch splines like butter. In practice it sometimes
requires jiggling and foul language. The jack makes it a lot easier.
I've replace transmissions without one but eventually I saw the light
and rented one when need be.

Put all the rest of the stuff back where you found it and you're good to go.

Pitfalls: Older truck in the rust belt, removing the universal cap
screws and the cross member bolts can be a challenge. The rest usually
isn't too bad. Check to see you have all the wrenches you'll need. The
cross member bolts on the F150 are large, can't remember if they're in
the usual wrench set range. Make sure nothing is connected to the tranny
like a neutral switch, or you'll get it half way down and see something
stretched out getting ready to snap.

Many times a particular make, model, and year will have two variants on
the pressure plate and clutch. If so, invariably you'll but the wrong
set. Have alternate transportation to go back and exchange them for the
other size.

Sorry I can't be specific for a 4Runner but that's the generic drill for
most vehicles.

You'll need
Old September 20th 17, 03:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 00:30:51 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
> wrote:

>How hard is it to replace a clutch in a 5-speed manual transmission?
>
>I have never done it, but it's generally cheaper to buy the tools and do it
>yourself than to pay someone else. Plus you generally get better parts.
>
>I've never done a clutch.
>This is a Toyota 4Runner 1998 2WD with the W59 5-speed.
>
>Anyone have any idea what I'll need besides a transmission lift?
>
>Have you done a clutch?
>How hard is it?
>
>If you ask what work I've done, I've done cooling system overhauls, and
>alternator replacements and the like when needed.

I've done hundreds of clutches. Being a RWD vehicle it is a lot
easier than a FWD or AWD or 4WD.
You will need a set of good metric sockets and wrenches and
preferanly a hoist. Changing tansmissions on your back under a vehicle
is a PAIN. You will also need a pilot alignment tool - and if you
haven't done much of this kind of work a package of BandAids wouldn't
hurt,

As for quality of parts??? You only get what you pay for and the OEM
clutch on a Toyota is about as good as it gets, for general purpose
use. If you go for the cheapest job, you could end up with junk
Old September 20th 17, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 00:57:20 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:44:57 -0500, Dean Hoffman >
>wrote:
>
>>> This is a Toyota 4Runner 1998 2WD with the W59 5-speed.

>> Cut some.
>> Look on Youtube. There are usually some videos showing stuff like
>> clutch
>> replacement.

>Youtube is pretty Spartan when it comes to things that most people don't
>do. You'll NEVER find a DIY for your own vehicle, for example. Even if it's
>as common as a Toyota 4Runner.
>
>Search term: "diy clutch replacement w59 transmission" at Youtube:
>https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tr ansmission
>
>The closest is the pickup truck DIY.
>Clutch replacement Toyota Tacoma Manual transmisson removal 1997
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sscHblanc
>
>There are ZERO 3rd-generation Toyota 4Runner clutch replacement DIYs on
>Youtube.

Because you REALLY need to abuse them to need to replace one.
Old September 20th 17, 03:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:42:48 -0400, > wrote:

>>There are ZERO 3rd-generation Toyota 4Runner clutch replacement DIYs on
>>Youtube.

> Because you REALLY need to abuse them to need to replace one.

I know the clutch was replaced only once on this 4Runner which has about
150K miles I think (I have to check).

Any idea of how long the clutch lasts?

I'm going to check the slave cylinder and master cylinder for leaks after
checking on the youtube videos that were suggested.

I already replaced the patented and overly complex torsion spring assembly
on the clutch pedal return mechanism, so it's not that.

The new Red Line MT-90 oil yesterday seems to have made a difference in
allowing it to shift when it couldn't get into gear when cold. I already
replaced the two bushings at the bottom of the shift lever (which were fine
but they're known to go bad so I replaced them anyway).

Is there a way to remove a view plate to VIEW the clutch plate visually?
Old September 20th 17, 04:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:41:17 -0400, > wrote:

> I've done hundreds of clutches. Being a RWD vehicle it is a lot
> easier than a FWD or AWD or 4WD.

This is good to know that the RWD (2wd) is easier than the rest, which has
been my experience for most things, if not only because there is fewer
stuff but the same amount of room, so more room in essence.

> You will need a set of good metric sockets and wrenches and
> preferanly a hoist. Changing tansmissions on your back under a vehicle
> is a PAIN.

I have 6-ton jack stands which give me a decent amount of room, but no
hoist. I don't have a transmission jack so I would expect to need one.
I have a bunch of bottle jacks and of course a few normal floor jacks. I
should have most if not all the wrenches needed but you never know when
there is a hard-to-see bolt - but I have extensions and u-joints galore.

> You will also need a pilot alignment tool - and if you
> haven't done much of this kind of work a package of BandAids wouldn't
> hurt,

Good to know on the alignment bar.

> As for quality of parts??? You only get what you pay for and the OEM
> clutch on a Toyota is about as good as it gets, for general purpose
> use. If you go for the cheapest job, you could end up with junk

I would get decent parts, just as I put in Red Line MT-90 yesterday. I
could have gone cheaper but it's supposed to be the best so that's what I
put in there. It made a difference on the ability of cold shifting into
gear but the clutch pedal feel is still horrid.
Old September 20th 17, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 4:59:34 PM UTC-10, Chaya Eve wrote:

> I know the clutch was replaced only once on this 4Runner which has about
> 150K miles I think (I have to check).
>
> Any idea of how long the clutch lasts?
>
> I'm going to check the slave cylinder and master cylinder for leaks after
> checking on the youtube videos that were suggested.
>
> I already replaced the patented and overly complex torsion spring assembly
> on the clutch pedal return mechanism, so it's not that.
>
> The new Red Line MT-90 oil yesterday seems to have made a difference in
> allowing it to shift when it couldn't get into gear when cold. I already
> replaced the two bushings at the bottom of the shift lever (which were fine
> but they're known to go bad so I replaced them anyway).
>
> Is there a way to remove a view plate to VIEW the clutch plate visually?

It would be a good idea to not change the clutch until you're sure that it needs to be replaced. The symptoms for that would be the clutch slipping. Make sure that the clutch clearance on the arm is properly set and your slave and master cylinders are working properly. If your clutch is slipping under those conditions you need to replace it. Typically, you're going to get a lot of warning if your clutch or pressure plate are worn and tired.

If your problem is difficulty shifting into gear, it's probably not your clutch but your linkage to the clutch lever.
Old September 20th 17, 05:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 02:59:28 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:42:48 -0400, > wrote:
>
>>>There are ZERO 3rd-generation Toyota 4Runner clutch replacement DIYs on
>>>Youtube.

>> Because you REALLY need to abuse them to need to replace one.

>I know the clutch was replaced only once on this 4Runner which has about
>150K miles I think (I have to check).
>
>Any idea of how long the clutch lasts?

My Ford Ranger had 307,000km when I bought it with a bad release cyl
(inside bell housing). The clutch was only about 1/4 worn, but with
all the labour already charged, the new clutch went in at the same
tome. My old Tercel had it changed at almost 500,000km just because I
had the engine out - it was only about half worn but I couldn't
justify not changing it while it was apart.

>I'm going to check the slave cylinder and master cylinder for leaks after
>checking on the youtube videos that were suggested.
>
>I already replaced the patented and overly complex torsion spring assembly
>on the clutch pedal return mechanism, so it's not that.
>
>The new Red Line MT-90 oil yesterday seems to have made a difference in
>allowing it to shift when it couldn't get into gear when cold. I already
>replaced the two bushings at the bottom of the shift lever (which were fine
>but they're known to go bad so I replaced them anyway).
>
>Is there a way to remove a view plate to VIEW the clutch plate visually?

Nope