Sticky electric steering

Old December 23rd 13, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default Sticky electric steering

The '09 Vue XE 2.4L with electric assist steering started to get a bit hard
steering. Very slight movements caused a creaking/groaning sound. Has
anybody seen this?

Though at first that it may be a strut top bearing. It comes and goes. Can't
say that it correlates to wet weather making the sound stop. It does seem to
get worse after driving for some time regardless of weather.

Jacked up the front end and was able to easily move the wheels back and
forth just by pushing the wheels. couldn't find any kind of play and all
looks good. The steering wheel itself seems a bit stiff. The electric power
assist is under the dash on the steering column and looks to be a big deal
to troubleshoot. The universal joints on the steering shaft and rack and
pinion all appear to be good. Threw some oil on the universals just to
see...

Old January 15th 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Looks to be the left front strut mount bearing. Ran the steering wheel back
and forth just a degree or two and felt along the steering and suspension
components for the "stiction". Was most notable on the left front coil
spring. I may pull the left side tie rod end to isolate things before
changing the strut bearing.

Old May 5th 14, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Of course, now that the weather has gotten nice again, the problem seems to
have gone away...
I might still disconnect the tie rod and check for any rough movement.

Old August 16th 14, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Oppie, I think I remember you from a few years ago when I used to post on this board.

Interesting that the electric assist is on the column. I now have two cars which have the electric assist, a Nissan Leaf and a Honda Civic. And as the karma of the universe would have it, both my other cars, a 1999 Ford Truck and a 1988 Volvo BOTH developed power steering leaks this year.
Old August 27th 14, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Hi Dave-
When the weather got warmer, the binding/stiction problem went away. I have
a feeling that it is the left front strut mount that is binding. Will see if
it comes back and replace the strut mount if necessary.

> wrote in message
> Oppie, I think I remember you from a few years ago when I used to post on
> this board.
>
> Interesting that the electric assist is on the column. I now have two
> cars which have the electric assist, a Nissan Leaf and a Honda Civic. And
> as the karma of the universe would have it, both my other cars, a 1999
> Ford Truck and a 1988 Volvo BOTH developed power steering leaks this year.

Electric power steering Don Stauffer Technology 7 May 27th 09 05:56 PM
What is electric steering. grinder BMW 19 March 3rd 07 07:20 PM
Sticky Steering??????? 89YJ Paul Jeep 0 June 17th 06 09:04 PM
04 ION Coupe electric steering Mark Saturn 5 October 27th 04 06:46 PM
04 Ion coupe electric steering Mark Saturn 6 September 29th 04 06:29 PM