Ford's "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler?

Old November 22nd 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain[_5_]

Default Ford's "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler?

Well then Ford would have totally screwed up wouldn't they have.

It is 'very' unlikely that your interpretation of 'size' is right.

Size of fuel fillers is the diameter, not the length.

Give us the link to the page you were reading please.

Mike

Old November 22nd 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

CWLee > wrote:

>First, I don't think the diameter of the gas pump
>nozzle or the gas can nozzle is the issue - the problem
>I'm concerned about is the length. The Ford website I
>consulted implied that the gas pump nozzle goes
>sufficiently far/deep into the filler tube to
>engage/open the inner valve - and that ordinary gas can
>nozzles or funnels are not long enough to allow gas to
>flow.

The ones I have here (from Ace Hardware) have flexible nozzles about
nine inches long. The long nozzle is required to open the "gate" on
all modern gas fillers anyway.

If yours does not have a long enough nozzle, cut a foot of garden hose
and clamp it on.

>Second, I'm mostly interested in hearing from people
>who have actually added gas from other than a gas pump
>into a recent model Ford that has one of these new
>devices. Speculation is interesting, but I'd really
>like to hear about some first-hand experience.

I haven't yet, but ask me after the Potomac Celtic Festival, when my
crew will have serviced a couple dozen people who will run out gas on
site (and at least twice that many who will have dead batteries and
need jump starts).
--scott

Old November 22nd 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

A few months ago when I was gassing up my 1983 Dodge van, I thought I
had grabbed the gas pump nozzle.It is a good thing that diesel fuel pump
nozzle wouldn't fit into my van's gas filler pipe.I would have messed up
for sure!
cuhulin

Old November 23rd 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
CWLee

"Mike Romain" > wrote:

> Well then Ford would have totally screwed up wouldn't they
> have.
>
> It is 'very' unlikely that your interpretation of 'size'
> is right.
>
> Size of fuel fillers is the diameter, not the length.
>
> Give us the link to the page you were reading please.

I've supplied several below, and I'm not sure which one is
the one where I got my information. Some of those links
also contain other links, and I don't remember just where I
went. However, I have since found a statement in one of
those which sheds more light on this issue of filling from a
non-gas-pump source.

"Easy Fuel also has a patented mis-fueling inhibitor to
reduce improper fueling and siphoning.
The inhibitor consists of a fuel nozzle detector that guides
the nozzle to the opening. If a nozzle or foreign tube of a
different size - a diesel nozzle or plastic hose, for
example - is placed in the filler neck of a gasoline-powered
vehicle, the latches will not release. For a diesel-powered
vehicle, the inhibitor will keep out the smaller gasoline
nozzles.

To protect the fuel filler neck from dirt, dust and debris,
Easy Fuel relies on a flexible rubber seal in the body
housing. The system also comes with a handy plastic funnel,
which is stored with a vehicle's tire changing kit, in case
someone runs out of fuel and needs to add a gallon or two
from a portable container.

Because fuel cans are not standardized in terms of their
nozzle, we needed to make sure customers could easily get
fuel into the system if they ran out, said Aitken. The
funnel is the same diameter as an unleaded fuel pump nozzle
for a gasoline-powered vehicle."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-...odel-line.html

http://wot.motortrend.com/6253125/te...nge/index.html

http://ford.digitalsnippets.com/2008...filler-system/

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=28320

Again, I'd like to hear from someone with actual, hands-on
experience with this Ford device, not just similar items
elsewhere.

Thanks.

Old November 23rd 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> I have locking gas caps on both of my Dodge vans.
>> I don't think Ford's ''Easy Fuel'' capless thingy is such a
>> ''Bright''
>> idea.

It seems to work Ok. I always feel weird when I fill up my F150. I
just open the fuel door and stick in the nozzle. When I am finished I
just pull the nozzle out and close the door. It is fast and efficient
and I never spill any gass.

> I'll bet that their P04XX EVAP code warranty claims drop
> considerably.
>
>> Suppose some creeps want to put whatever kinds of crap into those
>> capless fuel tanks?

You can worry about everythig. I've never had this happen in 40 years
of driving.

> It would make no difference than if they had a conventional gas cap.
> (duh)
> However, most fuel doors have inside release mechanisms, so as long
> as
> the vehicle is locked, it wouldn't be that easy.

Ford has mostly quit building cars with inside fule release levers.

>> Pouring fuel from a small gasoline container into capless fuel
>> tanks
>> should work ok.If not, Ford has screwed up!

Most gas cans you buy have poperly sized nozzles (at least all the
ones we own do).

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...gravation.html

Ed

Old November 23rd 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I doubt if most people use a funnel with small portable gas containers.I
doubt those handy dandy funnels that Ford supplies with Easy Fuel
vehicles will stay with most of those Easy Fuel vehicles for a long
while.Funnels and other thingys have a habit of getting lost.
cuhulin

Old November 23rd 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

> wrote in message
>I doubt if most people use a funnel with small portable gas
>containers.I
> doubt those handy dandy funnels that Ford supplies with Easy Fuel
> vehicles will stay with most of those Easy Fuel vehicles for a long
> while.Funnels and other thingys have a habit of getting lost.
> cuhulin

I hear what you are saying. I didn't know what the funnel was for. It
was in with the tire changing equipment (jack, crank, wrench,etc.).
Shortly afer I got the F150 I ran over something on the highway and
had to change a tire by the side of the road. I thought the funnel was
some sort of device to help you guide the jack crank into the winch
that lets you lower the spare tire. I stuck the funnel into the hole
where you insert the crank shaft thinking it would better align the
shaft. It did a poor job of this! Only later when I actually looked
through the Owner's Guide did I find out what it really was. Ford
should have label the thing for us idiots.

Ed

Old November 23rd 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain[_5_]

CWLee wrote:
If a nozzle or foreign tube of a
> different size - a diesel nozzle or plastic hose, for
> example - is placed in the filler neck of a gasoline-powered
> vehicle, the latches will not release.

The system also comes with a handy plastic funnel,
> which is stored with a vehicle's tire changing kit, in case
> someone runs out of fuel and needs to add a gallon or two
> from a portable container.

Well, there you go, they 'did' screw up to the point of having to supply
a special funnel to make it work.

Mike
2000 Cherokee Sport
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old October 15th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Old October 27th 20, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Harry Cisneros

On Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 11:48:03 AM UTC-5, CWLee wrote:
> I just learned that the 2010 (and perhaps earlier) Ford
> Explorers, and other Ford models, have what Ford calls
> "Easy Fuel" capless fuel fillers. As near as I can
> tell, instead of unscrewing a cap, one inserts the gas
> pump nozzle into an opening which automatically moves
> aside for fueling, and immediately closes when the
> nozzle is withdrawn. So far, no problems.
> I also learned that one can buy a locking cover, to
> protect your gas tank from someone siphoning gas out.
> However, Ford says on one of its websites that it is
> almost impossible to siphon gas out, due to a second
> "one-way valve" on the tank where the filler attaches.
> That sounds OK to me too.
> Here is the potential problem I'm wondering if any of
> you have faced. The website also suggests that gas can
> be placed into your tank ONLY with a properly sized
> nozzle from a gas pump. Suppose you run out of gas,
> and need to add gas from a plastic 2- or 5-gallon gas
> can? Can one do it, or does that second "one-way
> valve" deep into the filler keep the gas from entering
> the tank?
> Has anyone here been successful in adding gas (other
> than at a gas station) to a Ford which is equipped with
> this relatively new device?
> Thanks.
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to
> sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not
> quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

Hey guys I have a Ford Fusion 2017 that has a capless gas tank. Are there locking gas caps for this model and or any other solutions to making my gas tank tamper proof?

fuel filler enigma RichD Driving 100 May 13th 09 03:21 PM
Carter is the only company that makes "in fuel tank" fuel pumps for the 1997 suburban [email protected] Technology 7 October 20th 07 12:46 AM
"valve" or "button" in diesel fuel filler tube? jtaylor VW water cooled 7 August 13th 06 02:46 AM
Chrome Fuel Filler Cap 90 Miata bayman2222 Mazda 2 June 17th 06 02:26 AM
fuel leaking from fuel filler Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 March 29th 05 11:12 PM