Head light

Old September 29th 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kowshik

Default Head light

I have Nissan Sentra GXE 1999. recently my headlights are not properly
working. whenever i light up normal light it is quite dim. but my high beam
works well.It has seperate bulbs for high beam and normal beam. how can i
solve this Please help

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/head-light-120268-.htm

Old October 1st 17, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Kowshik wrote:
> I have Nissan Sentra GXE 1999. recently my headlights are not properly
> working. whenever i light up normal light it is quite dim. but my high beam
> works well.It has seperate bulbs for high beam and normal beam. how can i
> solve this Please help

If it actually has separate bulbs and circuits for high and low I would
check the grounds first. But nothing I have shows that car as having two
bulbs, high/low in one light shows for us/canada. In that case I would
check the voltage going to the low beam side.

--
Steve W.
Old October 1st 17, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Steve W. > wrote:
>Kowshik wrote:
>> I have Nissan Sentra GXE 1999. recently my headlights are not properly
>> working. whenever i light up normal light it is quite dim. but my high beam
>> works well.It has seperate bulbs for high beam and normal beam. how can i
>> solve this Please help

>If it actually has separate bulbs and circuits for high and low I would
>check the grounds first. But nothing I have shows that car as having two
>bulbs, high/low in one light shows for us/canada. In that case I would
>check the voltage going to the low beam side.

Precisely, and also the ground. Corrosion somewhere is likely at fault.
--scott
Old October 1st 17, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 1/10/2017 11:45 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> Kowshik wrote:
>> I have Nissan Sentra GXE 1999. recently my headlights are not properly
>> working. whenever i light up normal light it is quite dim. but my high
>> beam
>> works well.It has seperate bulbs for high beam and normal beam. how can i
>> solve this Please help
>>

> If it actually has separate bulbs and circuits for high and low I would
> check the grounds first. But nothing I have shows that car as having two
> bulbs, high/low in one light shows for us/canada. In that case I would
> check the voltage going to the low beam side.

What the OP should be checking for is *voltage drops* through the
circuit from supply to ground. That will indicate high resistances at
any connector.

--

Xeno
Old October 4th 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 10:18:05 AM UTC-4, Kowshik wrote:
> I have Nissan Sentra GXE 1999. recently my headlights are not properly
> working. whenever i light up normal light it is quite dim. but my high beam
> works well.It has seperate bulbs for high beam and normal beam. how can i
> solve this Please help
>
> --
> for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/head-light-120268-.htm

did you just recently change the bulb? You may have accidentally touched the bulb glass with your fingertips. Wear rubber gloves and remove the bulb and clean it with rubbing alcohol. It should be fine.
Old October 5th 17, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 5/10/2017 4:24 AM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 10:18:05 AM UTC-4, Kowshik wrote:
>> I have Nissan Sentra GXE 1999. recently my headlights are not properly
>> working. whenever i light up normal light it is quite dim. but my high beam
>> works well.It has seperate bulbs for high beam and normal beam. how can i
>> solve this Please help
>>
>> --
>> for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/head-light-120268-.htm

> did you just recently change the bulb? You may have accidentally touched the bulb glass with your fingertips. Wear rubber gloves and remove the bulb and clean it with rubbing alcohol. It should be fine.

The oil from fingers will not directly harm the filament. What oil on
the bulb glass does is change the heat characteristics of the bulb so
that stresses are creates as the bulb heats up. These stresses will
crack the glass and, once that happens, the filament is *history*,
usually in less than a second.

For a filament to be less bright than it should, you need to be looking
for undesirable circuit resistance which will cut down the current
passing though the filament. This resistance can be isolated by carrying
out voltage drop tests on the headlight circuits. The most common places
for increased resistance in light circuits is at the earth return.
Corrosion is the usual suspect.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

--

Xeno
Old October 5th 17, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 12:57:07 AM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:
> On 5/10/2017 4:24 AM, m6onz5a wrote:
> > On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 10:18:05 AM UTC-4, Kowshik wrote:
> >> I have Nissan Sentra GXE 1999. recently my headlights are not properly
> >> working. whenever i light up normal light it is quite dim. but my high beam
> >> works well.It has seperate bulbs for high beam and normal beam. how can i
> >> solve this Please help
> >>
> >> --
> >> for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/head-light-120268-.htm

> > did you just recently change the bulb? You may have accidentally touched the bulb glass with your fingertips. Wear rubber gloves and remove the bulb and clean it with rubbing alcohol. It should be fine.
> >

> The oil from fingers will not directly harm the filament. What oil on
> the bulb glass does is change the heat characteristics of the bulb so
> that stresses are creates as the bulb heats up. These stresses will
> crack the glass and, once that happens, the filament is *history*,
> usually in less than a second.
>
> For a filament to be less bright than it should, you need to be looking
> for undesirable circuit resistance which will cut down the current
> passing though the filament. This resistance can be isolated by carrying
> out voltage drop tests on the headlight circuits. The most common places
> for increased resistance in light circuits is at the earth return.
> Corrosion is the usual suspect.
>
> http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm
>
> --
>
> Xeno

I sell auto parts. I've seen this multiple times when people touch the glass with their bare hands.