A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Honda
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

honda s600 chain final drive? but why?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 10th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 442
Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

turns out the old Honda s600 little sporty cars had a differential and
half shafts in the rear, but then little sealed chain drives from the
end of the half shaft to the rear wheel on either side. ???? just to
reduce unsprung weight?? only reason i can think of.
Ads
  #4  
Old June 13th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

z wrote:

> turns out the old Honda s600 little sporty cars had a differential and
> half shafts in the rear, but then little sealed chain drives from the
> end of the half shaft to the rear wheel on either side. ???? just to
> reduce unsprung weight?? only reason i can think of.


When you see Honda products that incorporate seemingly illogical or
unconventional methods, it's be cause Honda does not like to pay patent
royalties. So, they solve the problem by other "original" means.

"Honda, we make "It" different."


--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
-----------------------------------------

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...


  #6  
Old June 13th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,204
Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

TomP wrote:
> z wrote:
>
>> turns out the old Honda s600 little sporty cars had a differential and
>> half shafts in the rear, but then little sealed chain drives from the
>> end of the half shaft to the rear wheel on either side. ???? just to
>> reduce unsprung weight?? only reason i can think of.

>
> When you see Honda products that incorporate seemingly illogical or
> unconventional methods, it's be cause Honda does not like to pay patent
> royalties. So, they solve the problem by other "original" means.
>
> "Honda, we make "It" different."


oh brother. where do people like you come from? have you never
considered the fact that maybe, just maybe, there was /technical/ merit
to that design?




>
>
> --
> Tp,
>
> -------- __o
> ----- -\<. -------- __o
> --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
> -------------------- ( )/ ( )
> -----------------------------------------
>
> No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...


access to usenet apparently never fixed one either.
  #7  
Old June 14th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16
Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

jim beam wrote:

> TomP wrote:
> > z wrote:
> >
> >> turns out the old Honda s600 little sporty cars had a differential and
> >> half shafts in the rear, but then little sealed chain drives from the
> >> end of the half shaft to the rear wheel on either side. ???? just to
> >> reduce unsprung weight?? only reason i can think of.

> >
> > When you see Honda products that incorporate seemingly illogical or
> > unconventional methods, it's be cause Honda does not like to pay patent
> > royalties. So, they solve the problem by other "original" means.
> >
> > "Honda, we make "It" different."

> have you never considered the fact that maybe, just maybe, there was
> /technical/ merit to that design?


Yes, there is always technical merit with a particular design.

But what I said is not untrue.



> >
> >
> > --
> > Tp,
> >
> > -------- __o
> > ----- -\<. -------- __o
> > --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
> > -------------------- ( )/ ( )
> > -----------------------------------------
> >
> > No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

>
> access to usenet apparently never fixed one either.


--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
-----------------------------------------

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...


  #8  
Old June 14th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,204
Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

TomP wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>> TomP wrote:
>>> z wrote:
>>>
>>>> turns out the old Honda s600 little sporty cars had a differential and
>>>> half shafts in the rear, but then little sealed chain drives from the
>>>> end of the half shaft to the rear wheel on either side. ???? just to
>>>> reduce unsprung weight?? only reason i can think of.
>>> When you see Honda products that incorporate seemingly illogical or
>>> unconventional methods, it's be cause Honda does not like to pay patent
>>> royalties. So, they solve the problem by other "original" means.
>>>
>>> "Honda, we make "It" different."

>> have you never considered the fact that maybe, just maybe, there was
>> /technical/ merit to that design?

>
> Yes, there is always technical merit with a particular design.


always??? gm, ford, microsoft, etc. can prove you wrong on that one
eight days a week.



>
> But what I said is not untrue.


no, you we're just guessing.



>
>
>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tp,
>>>
>>> -------- __o
>>> ----- -\<. -------- __o
>>> --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
>>> -------------------- ( )/ ( )
>>> -----------------------------------------
>>>
>>> No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

>> access to usenet apparently never fixed one either.

>
> --
> Tp,
>
> -------- __o
> ----- -\<. -------- __o
> --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
> -------------------- ( )/ ( )
> -----------------------------------------
>
> No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
>
>

  #9  
Old June 14th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,204
Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

z wrote:
> turns out the old Honda s600 little sporty cars had a differential and
> half shafts in the rear, but then little sealed chain drives from the
> end of the half shaft to the rear wheel on either side. ???? just to
> reduce unsprung weight?? only reason i can think of.


ok, since nobody else is telling you, i shall.

one of the key components to vehicle performance is weight. lack of it.
drive trains, because of torque requirements, are typically very
heavy. so, if you reduce the torque requirements, you can reduce some
of the weight of the transmission componentry. all you need then is to
have the torque output at the driving wheels, and you're set. [if you
notice, the chain drives are reduction gears, so rpm drops, and torque
increases. it's also worth noting that chains are more mechanically
efficient than gears.]

this approach is not unique. in heavy off-road vehicles for instance,
torque requirements can very high and variable, thus reliability comes
from using relatively low torque componentry through the main drive
line, then [planetary] hub reduction gears for final drive. planetary
hubs are not terribly efficient, but they are very robust. efficiency
is not #1 concern when you're axle deep in mud.

so, going back to the honda, since the vehicle already has a high
revving engine, there is no reason not to take advantage of this and use
a reduction gear at the end of the train, taking advantage of lighter
componentry up to that point. mechanically, it's not a bad system. why
is it not more commonly used? cost, complexity, low revving engines,
limited suspension options. and the highly conservative mind-set of the
typical mechanic.
  #10  
Old May 20th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

No.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1965 Honda S600 RonandRachel Auto Photos 0 January 30th 09 01:13 AM
AWA [DEMAND] Wanted final drive,final gears [email protected] General 0 April 5th 06 06:06 PM
Why a chain drive transmission system is not used to change the speed of a pillar drill??? [email protected] Chrysler 0 December 18th 05 08:59 PM
Power antenna 'drive chain' replacement Davenandee Ford Explorer 2 June 22nd 05 10:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.