Directly Wire Cooling Fan

Old July 2nd 05, 03:38 AM
newjerseyrob

Default Directly Wire Cooling Fan

The radiator fan on my 1992 Caravan (3.0 V6) doesn’t work and right
now we have it wired directly to the battery with an alligator clip
and I have to connect it and disconnect each time I drive it.

A mechanic told me the relay is fine and that it’s a wiring problem
somewhere. He told me I can "jimmy-rig" it so it acts like it’s
supposed to, since I have to take it through NJ inspection and since
it’s a major pain. Can someone tell me how to do this? I didn’t really
understand it nor remember what he said.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-Dire...ict127041.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=619434
Old July 2nd 05, 03:38 AM
Shakes73

"newjerseyrob" wrote:
> The radiator fan on my 1992 Caravan (3.0 V6) doesn't work and
> right now we have it wired directly to the battery with an
> alligator clip and I have to connect it and disconnect each
> time I drive it.
>
> A mechanic told me the relay is fine and that it's a wiring
> problem somewhere. He told me I can "jimmy-rig" it so it acts
> like it's supposed to, since I have to take it through NJ
> inspection and since it's a major pain. Can someone tell me
> how to do this? I didn't really understand it nor remember
> what he said.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Outside of fixing it the right way you can do this.Find a open spot in
the fuse box that has 12 volts to it with the engine running, run a
fused wire (be sure to put a inline fuse in at this point and use a
heavy gauge wire) through the firewall making sure it doesn’t rub on
any metal then connect it to your fan and the other wire of the fan to
a ground such as the motor or battery.This way you don’t have to keep
unhooking the fan everytime.It will come on with the key

Make sure you have the fan wired correctly.The fan should pull air
through the front of the radiator/blow air towards motor.