Big problems locating replacement "Fan Control Module" (cooling fan module/variable speed) for 96 Escort LX 1.9L

Old July 10th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Big problems locating replacement "Fan Control Module" (cooling fan module/variable speed) for 96 Escort LX 1.9L

If anyone can assist in this parts search, I would be very grateful!
I've tried to provide full info, so please pardon the length of this
post.

Been grappling w/this for about a month in the desert southwest summer
heat. Car being serviced by a NAPA certified shop, however, no one can
seem to provide my mechanic w/the correct "FCM" (aka 'relay' of
sorts). I have spent days searching the Net and all possible part
sources, locating only one possibility. His phone calls to Ford
entities resulted the claim that the FCM needed "has been
discontinued" and they refused to even give my mechanic the OEM part
number for us to reference in our continued search.

The FCM that is fried was mfg by Imasen (oriental company), and the
identifying number "H271" is no longer applicable; now pertains to a
different type of module for totally different model & year of Ford
vehicle(s), as well NON-cooling fan purposes . FCM is also marked
DC12V10A, followed by 6A 11. It is a "5-blade" (aka prongs - much
like the prongs of a household device one plugs into a wall socket,
only smaller) , w/the blades arranged in a set of two rows: bottom row
has three blades left to right, and top row has one blade each in the
left and right corners, with NO prong in the center position.

It is POSSIBLE that the following applies, however, the image on the
parts supplier site comes directly from SMP according to the
supplier's c-serv person, and I cannot determine from the online image
whether the "blade" alignment is correct ->
http://catalog.autopartsgiant.com/it...autopartsgiant
Manufacturer: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS
Product Details For:RY-452
Additional Description: 5 Blade Terminal ; w/Low Eng temp ; w/OEM#
F1CZ-8B658C; Years:1991-1996"

The only other possible candidate is also listed on that site, "
D1709C ACDELCO US Miscellaneous Accessories Relay; Radiator Fan
Relay; AC Cooling Fan ; 5 Blade Terminal ; w/OEM# F0CZ-2C013-A; Years:
1991-1996. There is no online image, no price, and apparently it is
not available on demand is the site indicates to contact them for a
price and such.

I have submitted "contact forms" w/the requested info on various parts
supply sites, including Standard Motor Products itself and their
"distributors" to no avail thus far. I have digital close-up pics of
the FCM that we need to replace, but website 'contact forms' have no
provision for including those images as an attachment. I have
searched through probably 60-70 google search result sites over
several days, but the above parts on the autopartsgiant.com site is
the only potential successful result. Even then, their c-serv was
unable to confirm whether their part RY-452 has the correct blade
placement, and directed me to SMP itself.

If at all possible, I would rather locate the actual, new/unused FCM
needed instead of dredging one or two up from an auto salvage yard -
as the reliability of a salvaged electrical/electronic part on an 11-
year old car is likely problematic. When this FCM fails, the radiator
cooling fan motor itself of course stops running & the engine quickly
overheats. In desert summer heat is a bad thing all the way around
and I'd rather not risk melting the motor by having the fan quit in
traffic.

If I could even locate or confirm the correct OEM part number - that
would be helpful as well!

TIA!

Old July 10th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Walker[_1_]

wrote:
> [...]
> several days, but the above parts on the autopartsgiant.com site is
> the only potential successful result. Even then, their c-serv was
> unable to confirm whether their part RY-452 has the correct blade
> placement, and directed me to SMP itself.
>
> If at all possible, I would rather locate the actual, new/unused FCM
> needed instead of dredging one or two up from an auto salvage yard -
> as the reliability of a salvaged electrical/electronic part on an 11-
> year old car is likely problematic. When this FCM fails, the radiator
> cooling fan motor itself of course stops running & the engine quickly
> overheats. In desert summer heat is a bad thing all the way around
> and I'd rather not risk melting the motor by having the fan quit in
> traffic.
>
> If I could even locate or confirm the correct OEM part number - that

Are the pins numbered, i.e. 86, 87 etc, or maybe 30, 31 etc.? If so
Bosch more than likely makes an equivalent, probably better, substitute.

Maybe here?:

http://replacement.autopartswarehous...=Relay&dp=true

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Old July 10th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White

Does http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail2.html?RY225.jpg look familar?

Ed
ps.com...

Old July 10th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White

Try http://www.smpcorp.com/web_app/catal...liccatalog.asp

Ed

ps.com...

Old July 10th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jul 9, 5:59 pm, Steve Walker > wrote:

> Are the pins numbered, i.e. 86, 87 etc, or maybe 30, 31 etc.? If so
> Bosch more than likely makes an equivalent, probably better, substitute.

I did find and search a Bosch site, but found nothing that came close.
There were some "relay" entries, but none were similar, and I found no
"Fan Control Module" entries. I did try searching for just "module",
but didn't find anything there that way.

I could not find any numbers on the pins/prongs themselves, at all.
There are no *numbers* at the base of the blue plastic inner housing
into which the prongs/pins themselves are inserted/attached, but there
are some alpha characters I can barely make out. This is the best I
can make out the alphas, as there is some defamation of the plastic
probably due to the burnout heat:

NO COM COIL
NO (no prong/no ltrs) COIL

The "NO" may be "MO" or something similar, but it's fairly well
obscured by damage.

> Maybe here?:
> http://replacement.autopartswarehous...tswarehouse/wi...

Darn it, I wish this was it. This site lists this part as a true
"relay", and IMU my fried part is termed a 'radiator cooling fan' "Fan
Control Module."

These should be functional photobucket links to the digital closeups I
took of mine. The first is the whole unit, the 2nd is the prong/blades
& alignment, and the last two are the front and back of the unit w/the
black outter plastic housing removed.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/3712a247.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/7667b2de.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/fe25087a.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/a6ea6768.jpg

You can see from the 4 shots on photobucket, the below "RY-452" is
pretty close, but I can't determine from that image what the prong/
blade alignment is.

http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpag.../STA/ry452.jpg
(From >http://catalog.autopartsgiant.com)

I appreciate your help!!

Old July 10th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jul 9, 6:58 pm, "C. E. White" > wrote:
> Doeshttp://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail2.html?RY225.jpglook familar?
>
> > wrote in message

I did locate that during searching. Got all excited at first, too even
though it's listed as "RELAY - HEADLIGHT" but it did not look right. I
can't bring up item via the link again now for some reason, and I get
a msg, "Specific information for this part not available from
Rockauto."

I thought I might be getting close with "RY375 {RELAY - HVAC BLOWER
MOTOR}" but the prong/blade alignment is off by one. In that one the
'blank spot' where there is no pin is shown at the far left, top
stack. In my fried one, the 'blank spot' in in the center of its row,
w/blades to the far left and right of the blankspot/center of the
row.

The also listed a "RY225T {TRU-TECH} Air Conditioning Cooling Fan; 2
Blade Terminal", but of course I need a 5-blade terminal and not a "2
Blade".

It's becoming quite maddening, I'm afraid. I DO appreciate you help!

Old July 10th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jul 9, 7:21 pm, "C. E. White" > wrote:
> Tryhttp://www.smpcorp.com/web_app/catalog/publiccatalog.asp
>
> Ed

I've been trying that site for it's catalog most of the day, but I
keep getting a "The server at www.smpcorp.com is taking too long to
respond." msg in Firefox.
I had figured for sure that could very well be the only source - but
darn if I can get to their actual online catalog.

Old July 10th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jul 9, 7:55 pm, wrote:
>http://www.smpcorp.com/web_app/catal...liccatalog.asp

Browser error resolved. Searching now.

Part RY375 is not the correct blade/prong alignment. And it's the only
part shown that otherwise appears to be a potential replacement for my
fried one.

RY602 is one of the only other 2 applicable for the 1.9L engine, but
it is listed as a 4-blade terminal.

RY225, is a 2-blade terminal.

RY227 is for a 1.8L and even so, it isn't close and doesn't appear to
be an alternative.

*sigh* I could just kick Ford in the shins......

Old July 10th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Walker[_1_]

Found this in a forum for you.

Lynde
09-21-2005, 11:45 PM
The engine cooling fan in a 96 Ford Escort LX 1.9 liter is not turning
on. Does anyone know how or where to verify if it is the cooling fan or
the relay that is bad ? Where can I place a jumper to test cooling fan
motor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I think your vehicle has an intergrated relay system also known as the
CCRM (constant control relay module) located under the battery/ air
filter area. You might have to replace it. ( Black rectangle flat metal
box. With one connector going to it with about 50 wires. I believe the
bolt size is a 5.5mm.that hold the CCRM down (4)and the corrector bolt
to release the harness is a 7mm. ) If you can verify that the Fan itself
is not the fault. Just run some wires directly to the battery from the
connector on the fan.
hag
10-03-2005, 02:22 PM
The 96 Escort uses a relay in the underhood fuse block (marked
"Ignition") to power up the low and high speed coolant fan relays, which
are mounted to the driver's side fender behind the air cleaner box.
Remove the air cleaner box, and there they are hiding in their rubber
boots. Any one or all three relays can be bad, and usually you can see
signs of melted connectors when they fail. They are all rated for 20
amps. I have replaced mine with 30 amp relays, which didn't plug into
the stock connectors. I had to custom wire them.

Hag
Lynde
10-04-2005, 09:17 PM
The 96 Escort uses a relay in the underhood fuse block (marked
"Ignition") to power up the low and high speed coolant fan relays, which
are mounted to the driver's side fender behind the air cleaner box.
Remove the air cleaner box, and there they are hiding in their rubber
boots. Any one or all three relays can be bad, and usually you can see
signs of melted connectors when they fail. They are all rated for 20
amps. I have replaced mine with 30 amp relays, which didn't plug into
the stock connectors. I had to custom wire them.

Hag
Another way to see if the fan is bad is just turn on the A/C. The fan
should come on. It can run off of three different relays, the high
speed, the low speed or the A/C relay.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Old July 10th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jul 9, 8:43 pm, Steve Walker < > wrote:
> Found this in a forum for you.

Thanks! The thread(s) do bring up some very relevant points. (And I
should mention this saga actually began ~4 wks. ago when the AC
stopped producing cooled air, despite the compressor being noticeably
active and so on. After AC system service, all was right w/the world
for a week or so, then the car overheated - which I learned was due to
the fan control module/relay having failed. Since no replacement
'relay' could be quickly located, shop 'jump wired' the fan to run
whenever the engine was running. Which was so-so ok a temporary
resolution.....until the wire dislodged. Rinse...repeat

1) CCRM and verify fan motor/fan itself not at fault.
* I believe they did this at the NAPA shop. The fan motor does 'run',
and we know this because they did 'jump wire' it so I can at least get
around in this heat while they/we search for this #$&#% part.

(As you might guess from inferring my 'bad luck', the first & temp fix
w/to wire it directly - and of course, a few days later in the height
day's heat & on the freeway, the dumb wire dislodged. Once things were
cool enough to touch under the hood, the first thing I did was ensure
that the fan blades were not frozen up, that no fluid leaks had
appeared in the area of the water pump, etc.)

As for failure in other parts or components: the compressor does kick
in/on, and remains kicked in even though the cooled air now ceases
after 2 miles of daytime driving. This is while the fan motor itself
is still operating the 'jump wired' fan, as well. I can both hear the
compressor doing its thing when I depress the AC selector pushknob,
and I can feel the effect on the motor & see RPM changes.

2) underhood fuse block ....
Yep. That's exactly where this stupid part came from, underneath that,
beneath the air filter box, down exactly as that post described
including the location of the fuse block w/in the engine compartment.
Interesting, tho, the post states "they are all 20 amps" relays.
According the markings on my fried part, it is a 10 amp?
("DC12V10A"). Yep, "stock connectors" may very well be something that
shop w/end up having to modify, in order to use any compatible part we
can find - since it seems that one w/correctly aligned blades/prongs
may not exist!

3) fan speeds..... yes, despite the cooling fan running now on the
temporary 'jump wiring', it supposedly does have variable speeds. I
don't know if it's at all related, but the variable speed/volume "fan"
that blows air into the passenger compartment is still working
properly and w/variable speeds via the hand selector on the console.

I continue to REALLY appreciate your help!!!