Backup warning beeper accessory for cars

Old November 8th 04, 12:45 AM
Quiet Voice

Default Backup warning beeper accessory for cars

Greetings:

Back in the late 90's, I purcahsed a backup warning beeper for my Ford
SUV. It screwed into the socket for the backup lightbulb. When the car
was put into reverse, it emitted a "beep" like trucks and
road-construction vehicles.

I'd like to get another, but I can't find one anywhere. I got the
previous one out of a catalog.....can't recall whose. I did a google
search but must not have hit on the correct set of keywords.

If anyone has an idea where I can look to purchase such an accesory,
your advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old November 8th 04, 01:04 AM
Lon

Quiet Voice proclaimed:

> Greetings:
>
> Back in the late 90's, I purcahsed a backup warning beeper for my Ford
> SUV. It screwed into the socket for the backup lightbulb. When the car
> was put into reverse, it emitted a "beep" like trucks and
> road-construction vehicles.
>
> I'd like to get another, but I can't find one anywhere. I got the
> previous one out of a catalog.....can't recall whose. I did a google
> search but must not have hit on the correct set of keywords.
>
> If anyone has an idea where I can look to purchase such an accesory,
> your advice is appreciated.

Unfortunately you don't mention where you are posting from...
You can find them in pretty much any auto parts/accessory store.

Or buy them from EBay. Or from J. C. Whitney which has several
models. The combo backup light and beeper is from DesignTech for
about $20. For only a bit more, you can buy a Pilot Ultrasonic
alarm that warns of stuff close to you as you are backing up.
Old November 10th 04, 07:17 AM
Quiet Voice

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Don't know why I didn't think of just checking a local auto parts
store...guess that would have been too easy!!!

But seriously, when I first got one, these beepers were pretty much
"speciality items". At least no one else I knew had one. Seemed like a
good idea with all the kids I have around so I was quite pleased when
I came across it in a catalog.

From what you say, I guess they've caught on....at least to the point
that auto stores sell them. Though, now that I think of it I *still*
haven't encountered any other SUV drivers with them.....

Thanks again!

Old November 11th 04, 02:54 AM
Lon

Quiet Voice proclaimed:

> Hi, and thanks for your reply.
>
> Don't know why I didn't think of just checking a local auto parts
> store...guess that would have been too easy!!!
>
> But seriously, when I first got one, these beepers were pretty much
> "speciality items". At least no one else I knew had one. Seemed like a
> good idea with all the kids I have around so I was quite pleased when
> I came across it in a catalog.
>
> From what you say, I guess they've caught on....at least to the point
> that auto stores sell them. Though, now that I think of it I *still*
> haven't encountered any other SUV drivers with them.....

I don't remember seeing/hearing any SUV's with the beep beep type
backup alarm unless they are something owned by the power, cable, or
phone company. As for the sonic backup sensor, is beginning to be
offered as an option on some new SUV's.

How available they would be locally will depend on where "locally" is
and whether you have any of the big auto parts superstores around.
Otherwise just aim your browser at http://www.jcwhitney.com/ and
enter backup alarm in the search box.