How to disable alarm system on a 1996 Miata M edition?

Old July 7th 05, 08:02 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-07-07, pws > wrote:

>> OK, just disconnect the battery. Alarm completely disabled.
>> Problem solved.

> He was asking how to disable the alarm, not the entire car. I
> assume that you are being sarcastic, which I can appreciate.
> "Problem" or not, he wants the thing turned off completely,
> including the security light, but I would hazard a guess that
> he still wants to drive the car.

I'm sure you're right, though I don't understand what the big
issue is with having the LED flash.

> I have given him instructions that will allow both of these to
> happen, whether or not the alarm is a problem to him, you or
> anyone else.

I am surprised that the car starts if you just unplug the alarm
box. Seems like an awfully trivial way to steal the car.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. Like I always
at say -- nothing can beat
Old July 7th 05, 08:44 PM
pws

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2005-07-07, pws > wrote:
>

>>>OK, just disconnect the battery. Alarm completely disabled.
>>>Problem solved.

>>He was asking how to disable the alarm, not the entire car. I
>>assume that you are being sarcastic, which I can appreciate.
>>"Problem" or not, he wants the thing turned off completely,
>>including the security light, but I would hazard a guess that
>>he still wants to drive the car.

> I'm sure you're right, though I don't understand what the big
> issue is with having the LED flash.
>

>>I have given him instructions that will allow both of these to
>>happen, whether or not the alarm is a problem to him, you or
>>anyone else.

> I am surprised that the car starts if you just unplug the alarm
> box. Seems like an awfully trivial way to steal the car.

It's not actually all that quick and easy to get to the control box and
unplug it. It would be faster to pop the hood and cut the siren wires as
far as stopping the alarm noise, plus you pretty much have to be in a
position on your back underneath the dash to get at the box, not a
position that most car thieves would like to be in while they are doing
their dirty deeds.

I thought the same thing about the car not starting when I took the
alarm box out, but I had asked and someone had recommended that I do
that. It never caused any problems at all. I agree that a blinking LED
is no big deal to me, but hey, to each their own. :-)
I had a different reason than the LED for removing the control box
versus just turning it off at the steering column.

pat
Old July 7th 05, 08:50 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-07-07, pws > wrote:

>> I am surprised that the car starts if you just unplug the
>> alarm box. Seems like an awfully trivial way to steal the
>> car.

> It's not actually all that quick and easy to get to the
> control box and unplug it. It would be faster to pop the hood
> and cut the siren wires as far as stopping the alarm noise,

IIRC, the car still won't start at that point -- but it will
shut off the noise. Of course the noise shuts off by itself in
60 seconds anyway.

> plus you pretty much have to be in a position on your back
> underneath the dash to get at the box, not a position that
> most car thieves would like to be in while they are doing
> their dirty deeds.

One guy who tripped the alarm in mine tried prying the switch
off the steering column. Didn't work.

> I thought the same thing about the car not starting when I
> took the alarm box out, but I had asked and someone had
> recommended that I do that. It never caused any problems at
> all.

I expected that the ignition interlock mechanism would "fail"
to the no-start state. I guess not. There must be a normally
closed relay somewhere that the alarm box has to energize to
keep the engine from starting when the alarm is tripped.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I've read SEVEN
at MILLION books!!
Old July 7th 05, 10:20 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> I expected that the ignition interlock mechanism would "fail"
> to the no-start state. I guess not.

Alarms are stupid. I expect the deductible on your insurance is less
than a fancy alarm anyway.

I enjoy setting off other folks' alarms with my FM Duals. When I pass a
riced-up Honda parked at the curb, I push in the clutch and tach it up
to 6k...WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP! Of course, the kids never run out to see
who's stealing their cars, so I wonder why they bothered to install
alarms? They just enjoy ****ing off their parents' neighbors?

When those motorcycle alarms that fit under the license plate first came
out, Harley owners bombarded the manufacturer with letters asking how to
disable the siren while leaving the pager signal intact. They didn't
want to scare away thieves--they wanted to make sure they'd never even
think about stealing another bike.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old July 7th 05, 11:44 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>

>>I expected that the ignition interlock mechanism would "fail"
>>to the no-start state. I guess not.

> Alarms are stupid. I expect the deductible on your insurance is less
> than a fancy alarm anyway.
>
> I enjoy setting off other folks' alarms with my FM Duals. When I pass a
> riced-up Honda parked at the curb, I push in the clutch and tach it up
> to 6k...WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP! Of course, the kids never run out to see
> who's stealing their cars, so I wonder why they bothered to install
> alarms? They just enjoy ****ing off their parents' neighbors?
>
> When those motorcycle alarms that fit under the license plate first came
> out, Harley owners bombarded the manufacturer with letters asking how to
> disable the siren while leaving the pager signal intact. They didn't
> want to scare away thieves--they wanted to make sure they'd never even
> think about stealing another bike.
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

I have seen a person vent his rage against a car whose alarm would not
quit going off in an apartment parking lot and was apparently keeping
him awake during the day. I don't remember the model, but it was fairly
new and looked nice until he was through with it. That car certainly
would have been much better off without an alarm.

The only possible use that I can see for an alarm is if you park in the
driveway of your house, have the sensitivity set very high, and will
actually wake up and see what is going on when it goes off. The pager
system also makes sense, though that could land you in a world of legal
trouble and expenses that far outweigh the cost of the car depending on
your actions, even here in Texas where shooting or otherwise injuring
car thieves caught in the act is completely legal.

Pat
Old July 8th 05, 02:41 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Hector

Old July 9th 05, 10:35 AM
pws

Grant Edwards wrote:

> I expected that the ignition interlock mechanism would "fail"
> to the no-start state. I guess not. There must be a normally
> closed relay somewhere that the alarm box has to energize to
> keep the engine from starting when the alarm is tripped.

It sounds like you know a lot more about relays and such than I do, so I
am going to take your word for it. :-). I am fairly mechanically
inclined, but electrical systems in general are not my thing.

All I know is that taking the alarm box out did not stop the car from
working normally, it caused no codes to flash, etc., and I am pretty
sure that it turned off the LED, unless my memory has completely failed
me once again.

pat
Old July 9th 05, 01:59 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-07-09, pws > wrote:

> All I know is that taking the alarm box out did not stop the car from
> working normally, it caused no codes to flash, etc., and I am pretty
> sure that it turned off the LED, unless my memory has completely failed
> me once again.

No, I'm sure you're right. I was just surprised that pulling
the alarm box out without re-wiring things under the hood
didn't disable the car. But you're probably right that they
don't expect a theif to take the time to pull the alarm box out.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Ask me the DIFFERENCE
at between PHIL SILVERS and