Offical Pics of the New Miata

Old April 4th 05, 03:17 AM
Wildcat

:

>>>MAN! That is the BUTT UGLIEST thing I have seen since the first
>>>Porsche Boxters came out.

>>You're a very brave man. When the new Ford Mustang came out I thought
>>it had a serious case of fugly but I refrained from posting that
>>opinion in the Mustang news group. Because I didn't post my opinion, I
>>still have all my arms and legs and have maintainted a body free of
>>bullet holes.
>>
>>I hope you'll be able to say the same in a few days? <BSEG>
>>
>>BTW, I like the looks of the new Miata.

> I like the 170 HP non-turbo engine of the new Miata.
> I like the stiffer chassis.
> I like the additional headroom (I need it).
>
> The new style is a minor tweak, and if you want the performance it truly
> doesn't matter. I also think the chrome treatment of the new "limited
> edition" (preview at www.mazdausa.com) is pointless.
>
> -John

I'll have to hold back on final judgement when I actually get to test
drive one. but

170hp @ 6700rpm
140lb-ft @ 5000rpm

vs my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

177hp@6000rpm
166 lb-ft @4500

and when they say stiffer body and better handling they're refering to
standard Miata. So I'll leave final judgement to when I can put them
side by side...
Old April 4th 05, 03:38 AM
hjarrett

Wow, now I know how to get the response rate up! Please don't
mis-understand my dislike for the looks of the new body work. Like I said
in my first post, my wife loves the Boxter but I think it looks like the
body was put on backwards. Opinions are like .... well, you have heard the
saying and we all have one and none of them is pretty. To me an ugly
roadster is better than what we had before the Miata, which was NO good
roadsters. I hope they sell a bunch of them and then start moving the
styling back to the original, but that's my opinion. If they don't then I
won't be buying a new one. The way Miatas are built I think I can rebuild
mine forever. As long as I have my baby I will be happy and will even wave
to the new models on the road.
Do I get to keep all my limbs? When I wave on the road do I get a wave
back - with ALL the fingers extended? At least I won't be driving the price
up for the guys that think the new model is pretty.

Hank (Really didn't mean to call someone's baby ugly here) J

Old April 4th 05, 06:45 AM
XS11E

Generic wrote in:

> Nope. I meant Limited Edition. Go to mazdausa.com and click on
> Vehicles / Upcoming & Concept, or let the large MX-5 promo show up
> on the top center of the screen. After you see the intro click on
> Limited Edition along the bottom of the panel--it shows a very red
> and very chrome edition.
>
> This link may work:
>
> http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...geParameter=up
> comingMX5Miata

OK, I found it. Really, I think it's the chrome windshield frame I
don't like. The other touches are not too awful.

It sure is red... and we all know the white ones are faster because of
less photon drag*!

*Address all photon drag questions to Leon van Dommelen, OK? ;-)

Old April 4th 05, 07:18 PM
Scott Hughes

"Generic" > wrote in
:

> "XS11E" > wrote in message
>> BTW, I like the looks of the new Miata.

> I like the 170 HP non-turbo engine of the new Miata.
> I like the stiffer chassis.
> I like the additional headroom (I need it).
>
> The new style is a minor tweak, and if you want the performance it
> truly doesn't matter. I also think the chrome treatment of the new
> "limited edition" (preview at www.mazdausa.com) is pointless.
>
> -John

I try to never judge a car till I actually see it, but for the most part
I think the new design is good. My only real reservations being the
RX-8 style wheel wells and the ORANGE dash lights (guages/radio). As
far as the Limited Edition goes tho.. it's hard to imagine seeing that
in person helping one's opinion any. "What were they thinking" is my
first response to all that chrome, and I can't imagine that changing w/
a live viewing. The chrome on the inside might be cool, but the whole
windshield surround? It's hard to imagine that possibly looking good.

-Scott
Old April 4th 05, 07:59 PM
Squat

I thought the same thing till I saw one at the auto show. They look better
irl than in a photo. Don't quite know why but they do. Had 99 version for
two years and hated getting rid of it but NYC and nice cars just don't go
together. Would like the extra horsepower but I expect the weight eats up
the performance gain. (imho)
Can't wait to drive one!
Cheers to all
Squat. (A lurker...)

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Old April 5th 05, 01:27 AM
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>Generic wrote in:
>
>> Nope. I meant Limited Edition. Go to mazdausa.com and click on
>> Vehicles / Upcoming & Concept, or let the large MX-5 promo show up
>> on the top center of the screen. After you see the intro click on
>> Limited Edition along the bottom of the panel--it shows a very red
>> and very chrome edition.
>>
>> This link may work:
>>
>> http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...geParameter=up
>> comingMX5Miata

Only if you do not click "skip intro" as I did. On a phone line, it
seems to download about 20 minutes, apparently being a 5 second sound
clip, then displays the special edition link.

>OK, I found it. Really, I think it's the chrome windshield frame I
>don't like. The other touches are not too awful.
>
>It sure is red... and we all know the white ones are faster because of
>less photon drag*!

Not to mention that I really do not think chrome is such a
hot idea on anything but a white miata.

Leon

>*Address all photon drag questions to Leon van Dommelen, OK? ;-)

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old April 5th 05, 02:42 AM
Generic

"Squat" > wrote in message
> I thought the same thing till I saw one at the auto show. They look better
> irl than in a photo. Don't quite know why but they do. Had 99 version for
> two years and hated getting rid of it but NYC and nice cars just don't go
> together. Would like the extra horsepower but I expect the weight eats up
> the performance gain. (imho)
> Can't wait to drive one!
> Cheers to all
> Squat. (A lurker...)

It weighs about 22 lbs more than the last one! It seems they truly are
trying to do more with less on this car, and didn't let it bloat. Very lean.
Wait and see.

-John

Old April 5th 05, 10:02 PM
Squat

"Generic" > wrote in message
m...

> "Squat" > wrote in message
>> I thought the same thing till I saw one at the auto show. They look
>> better
>> irl than in a photo. Don't quite know why but they do. Had 99 version
>> for
>> two years and hated getting rid of it but NYC and nice cars just don't go
>> together. Would like the extra horsepower but I expect the weight eats up
>> the performance gain. (imho)
>> Can't wait to drive one!
>> Cheers to all
>> Squat. (A lurker...)

> It weighs about 22 lbs more than the last one! It seems they truly are
> trying to do more with less on this car, and didn't let it bloat. Very
> lean.
> Wait and see.
>
> -John

Will be out of NYC soon and might get a chance to drive one 2 a dealership.
I hope it handles as nice as my old 99 did.
Thanks!
Squat

Old April 6th 05, 12:33 AM
Ken Lyons

"Squat" > wrote
> I thought the same thing till I saw one at the auto show.

I initially thought the same as well. After a couple of weeks staring at NC
Windows wallpaper I've become more accepting. I can't wait to see the NC in
the flesh (steel/aluminum) on Thursday.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Corvette vs Miata - long Tom Howlin Mazda 23 February 28th 05 11:28 PM
Trade: 1994 Mazda Miata + $$$ for Karmann Ghia MoreOfTheBugs VW air cooled 0 January 23rd 05 09:50 PM
Looking to buy 1991 1.8 liter turbo miata pws Mazda 3 November 23rd 04 05:37 AM
Another Miata Owner Ken Lyons Mazda 4 November 13th 04 05:38 AM
Market Value - 2003 Miata Carol Mazda 18 September 9th 04 09:12 PM