How Often Do You Replace the Rubber Fuel Hose?

Old November 16th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

Default How Often Do You Replace the Rubber Fuel Hose?

"How Often Do You Replace the Rubber Fuel Hose?"

I replace it every time there is an engine fire.
Just like when forestry experts found out that allowing lightning caused
fires to burn is healthier for the forest in the long run, so should VW
fires be allowed to run their course. Afterward, the rebuilt vehicle is
better than the old one. That is why I use genuine NOS fuel line without
clamps. I also have a see-through glass fuel filter that is suspended
between the fuel pump and the carb and allowed to swing free. I don't
have a fire extinguisher on board. Just by 2¢. Don't assume that I'm an
expert just because I'm posting here.

Old November 17th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"Tuomas" wrote in message ...

>Often seen also, not a myth at all.

>I've had several original VWs from 60's and none of them have had clamps on
>fuel lines until I installed them. Newer ones had partial clamping, not all
>hoses.

>You'd have to have factory advertisements showing clamps to convince me
>that factory used them and they magically have vanished from all I've
>had/repaired.

pinched bandclamps came on the pressure side of the fuel pump, and they are
visible in shots from factory owner's manuals, if you wish to check it
out... some years have clearer shots than others... it is, indeed, a myth
that vw did not use hoseclamps on fuel lines...

Old November 17th 10, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Wouldn,t you be better off with a plastic filter?
Cheers
John

Old November 17th 10, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Just for interest went and dragged out all my manuals. Clymer manages to
avoid all photos of a connected carby.
"Scientific Publications" published Service Manuals in Australia for
all car brands. Were a bit rudimentary. For the early T3 carbs ( centrally
located) there was definitely no clamps. For all twin carburetted T3,s there
is definitely clamps on all fuel connections. The crimp type that leaves a
small non crimped region!.
For Beetles was a bit indistinct but almost certainly not! You could argue
though that if that was the engine they stripped down to do the manual it
might be all just sitting together and not functional.
Cheers
John

Old November 17th 10, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 11/16/2010 9:47 PM, John wrote:
> Wouldn,t you be better off with a plastic filter?
> Cheers
> John

The filter is made of fine mesh and is reusable after cleaning it. The
ends unscrew with a wrench. O-rings provide the seal. This is the second
one I've had. While I was disassembling the first one in a kneeling
position the glass cylinder fell out of my hand onto the concrete and
broke quite easily in a drop of less than two feet.

I don't actually have it hanging above the case. I molded some hard
setting clay to fit around it as it rests on the case. And it's
positioned in the line leading into the fuel pump, not the line between
the pump and the carb.

By the way, I notice you always use a comma as an apostrophe. Is that
how Aussie's are taught to do it? In Europe they use a comma as a
decimal instead of a period.
Old November 17th 10, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"John" wrote in message ...

>Just for interest went and dragged out all my manuals. Clymer manages to
>avoid all photos of a connected carby.
> "Scientific Publications" published Service Manuals in Australia for
> all car brands. Were a bit rudimentary. For the early T3 carbs (
> centrally located) there was definitely no clamps. For all twin
> carburetted T3,s there is definitely clamps on all fuel connections. The
> crimp type that leaves a small non crimped region!.

crimp clamps(band clamps) were used...they are crimped on and a one time use
deal... which is likely why so many were not replaced... any tight fitting
line with low pressure will stay put as long as the lines are within their
serviceable lifespan, however, most folks do not replace lines as they
should, and don't know when those lines are beyond their serviceable
lifespan... therefor, vw saw fit to ensure they stayed put... but one time
use clamps can't be replaced, so they got left off *a lot* and a great urban
myth was formed!

> For Beetles was a bit indistinct but almost certainly not! You could
> argue though that if that was the engine they stripped down to do the
> manual it might be all just sitting together and not functional.
> Cheers
> John

take a look at actual vw owner's manuals... some of them have picture angles
toward the engine(usually when discussing the V-belt) and the clamps are
visible.... out of curiosity, I opened up my Bentley manual for 66-69 type
one sedan and coupe, and in the section for fuel pump replacement (Chapter
3, Page 8, section 2.1 under the "to install" section) step 5 says "connect
fuel hoses and secure with clips or clamps"... the next step is also widely
disregarded "6. check seating of fuel line rubber grommet in engine front
cover plate.".....
in the fuel system section, chapter 3 also, under the section on removal and
installation of the carburetor, on install they clearly dedicate step 3 to
"secure fuel hose with clamp"....
that said, the Bentley is touted as the "official service manual", but is
still a third party.... vw's own owner's manuals have some shots where the
clamps are visible...
here are a couple links to manuals available for viewing at www.thesamba.com
where the clamps are visible... I chose 1969 only because I have a 69
owner's manual here at my desk.
this picture(left picture) shows that there are clamps on both the input and
output side(tougher to see it on the output side) of the fuel pump(also
shows that vw never put those silly filters in to flop around and pull out
the tube nipples pressed into the carb and fuel pump)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/...8_69bug/40.jpg

this one shows a clamp clearly on the output side.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/.../8_69bug/6.jpg

I'm sure other year manuals show them too, as I've scanned pictures out of
manuals several times over the years for posting for folks to see... as I
said, I chose 1969 only because I have a manual sitting here, and that made
it easy...<G>

Old November 18th 10, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Thats probably spot on, I remember years ago when I bought a filter it would
be prepackaged with two of the "spring" type clip with overlapping ends and
also two short lengths of hose. Not now a days.
John

Old November 18th 10, 09:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

My apologies Randall, I was just being a silly bu...er . A poor attempt at
humour!. I actually had one of those type on my 1300 Beetle back in 67 and
I,d buy another of that type of filter if I could get one..These days
though they are all those nasty little moulded plastic things. That was
beautiful little car. I commuted 160 miles a day for about 4 years (
nearly killed myself on the first day with its evil handling) , when I sold
her the compression was so low when ignition was turned off the engine spun
for 3-4 seconds. Apart from a seized front right slave cylinder it never
missed a beat.
Which is another thing. On all my VW,s the right front slave
cylinder/caliper has caused issues. Seizing mainly, purely coincidence? Cant
think of any other reason.

Cheers
John

Old November 18th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 11/18/2010 12:28 AM, John wrote:
> Apart from a seized front right slave cylinder it never
> missed a beat.
> Which is another thing. On all my VW,s the right front slave
> cylinder/caliper has caused issues. Seizing mainly, purely coincidence? Cant
> think of any other reason.
>
> Cheers
> John

It's a little known fact that in Australia, South Africa, Japan, India,
the British Isles, and just about everywhere that the British left their
stamp -- the right front wheel cylinder on every vehicle will seize
before the left one will. In the US, Canada, most of Europe, and Latin
America -- the left front wheel cylinder will be the first to seize. In
China both wheel cylinders seize at the same rate, probably due to poor
machining tolerances.

Old November 19th 10, 09:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

And if you are right on the equator, all four or none? One of those
imponderables.