IAC connector?

Old November 28th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default IAC connector?

I cracked the connector for the idle air control motor on the wiring
harness side - 2000 TJ 4.0 L. It still works okay but the retaining
tab and half of the weather shielding is missing, so I'm sure it'll
give me trouble later. Does anyone know where I can find a
replacement connector? I'm assuming the Jeep dealer will want to sell
me a whole wiring harness for $$$$... If nothing else I'm sure I can
cobble something together but it would be nice to find the right
connector.

Thanks, John
Old November 28th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

jmaki wrote:
> I cracked the connector for the idle air control motor on the wiring
> harness side - 2000 TJ 4.0 L. It still works okay but the retaining
> tab and half of the weather shielding is missing, so I'm sure it'll
> give me trouble later. Does anyone know where I can find a
> replacement connector? I'm assuming the Jeep dealer will want to sell
> me a whole wiring harness for $$$$... If nothing else I'm sure I can
> cobble something together but it would be nice to find the right
> connector.

Call your local dealer and see if they sell a splice kit for
that connector. Junk yards are usually unwilling to part with bits
of a harness unless most of it was crisped in a fire. If the connector
still looks like mine (and I suspect it does) then you could find one
from any one the Jeep 4.0 engines.
http://revbeergoggles.com/tb/tb.html

Possibly these folks. (888) 528-2200
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

--
DougW

Old November 29th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

DougW wrote:

> jmaki wrote:
>> I cracked the connector for the idle air control motor on the wiring
>> harness side - 2000 TJ 4.0 L. It still works okay but the retaining
>> tab and half of the weather shielding is missing, so I'm sure it'll
>> give me trouble later. Does anyone know where I can find a
>> replacement connector? I'm assuming the Jeep dealer will want to sell
>> me a whole wiring harness for $$$$... If nothing else I'm sure I can
>> cobble something together but it would be nice to find the right
>> connector.

> Call your local dealer and see if they sell a splice kit for
> that connector. Junk yards are usually unwilling to part with bits
> of a harness unless most of it was crisped in a fire. If the connector
> still looks like mine (and I suspect it does) then you could find one
> from any one the Jeep 4.0 engines.
> http://revbeergoggles.com/tb/tb.html
>
> Possibly these folks. (888) 528-2200
> http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

GM also used a lot of those connectors - try one of the local GM dealers if
Chrysler doesn't work out. If you can get the shell, the pins from the old
one will slip right in - but you'll probably have to destroy the old on to
get them out. Without the (expensive) removal tool, they are a bear to
pull out.

--
Will Honea

Old November 30th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon Stowell

Old November 30th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon Stowell

Will Honea wrote:
> DougW wrote:
>
>> jmaki wrote:
>>> I cracked the connector for the idle air control motor on the wiring
>>> harness side - 2000 TJ 4.0 L. It still works okay but the retaining
>>> tab and half of the weather shielding is missing, so I'm sure it'll
>>> give me trouble later. Does anyone know where I can find a
>>> replacement connector? I'm assuming the Jeep dealer will want to sell
>>> me a whole wiring harness for $$$$... If nothing else I'm sure I can
>>> cobble something together but it would be nice to find the right
>>> connector.

>> Call your local dealer and see if they sell a splice kit for
>> that connector. Junk yards are usually unwilling to part with bits
>> of a harness unless most of it was crisped in a fire. If the connector
>> still looks like mine (and I suspect it does) then you could find one
>> from any one the Jeep 4.0 engines.
>> http://revbeergoggles.com/tb/tb.html
>>
>> Possibly these folks. (888) 528-2200
>> http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

> GM also used a lot of those connectors - try one of the local GM dealers if
> Chrysler doesn't work out. If you can get the shell, the pins from the old
> one will slip right in - but you'll probably have to destroy the old on to
> get them out. Without the (expensive) removal tool, they are a bear to
> pull out.

Flat style connector pins can usually be pulled by a home made tool from
a hunk of piano wire. Whack the heck out of the wire on an anvil or
similar hard surface [e.g. brother in laws head] and then file and
polish it down to a nice flat area a couple inches long you can poke in
to release the little latch on the side.

The round ones are harder, but you can make a removal tool from a hunk
of hobby steel tubing.

Or just buy a couple of the commercial connector removal tools from an
online electrical supply shop.

Old November 30th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Lon Stowell wrote:
> Will Honea wrote:
>> DougW wrote:

>>> Call your local dealer and see if they sell a splice kit for
>>> that connector. Junk yards are usually unwilling to part with bits
>>> of a harness unless most of it was crisped in a fire. If the
>>> connector still looks like mine (and I suspect it does) then you
>>> could find one from any one the Jeep 4.0 engines.
>>> http://revbeergoggles.com/tb/tb.html
>>>
>>> Possibly these folks. (888) 528-2200
>>> http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

>> GM also used a lot of those connectors - try one of the local GM
>> dealers if Chrysler doesn't work out. If you can get the shell, the
>> pins from the old one will slip right in - but you'll probably have
>> to destroy the old on to get them out. Without the (expensive)
>> removal tool, they are a bear to pull out.
>>

> Flat style connector pins can usually be pulled by a home made tool
> from a hunk of piano wire. Whack the heck out of the wire on an
> anvil or similar hard surface [e.g. brother in laws head] and then
> file and polish it down to a nice flat area a couple inches long you
> can poke in to release the little latch on the side.
>
> The round ones are harder, but you can make a removal tool from a hunk
> of hobby steel tubing.
>
> Or just buy a couple of the commercial connector removal tools from an
> online electrical supply shop.

I've got a set of tools I made a long time ago.

You just need a nice strong beercan as donor metal.
Cut a small patch out (about 1/4" by 1") and roll it
around a bit of coathanger wire, then cut off the extra
so you get a C shape. Sometimes you can use a scratch
awl as the form.

--
DougW

OBD II connector?? neonhighlite Jeep 6 November 19th 06 11:40 PM
Passat OBD Connector deanyel VW water cooled 5 June 4th 05 05:30 PM
525 - name of injector connector Simon Birkby BMW 4 May 11th 05 07:29 PM
obd connector Nadia Audi 4 April 16th 05 07:16 AM
MES Connector? josh Honda 0 November 20th 04 08:30 AM