different gear shift rod length?

Old October 23rd 04, 02:04 AM
Marco

Default different gear shift rod length?

Hi,

does anyone happen to know if VW used different lengths for rod that
runs from the gear shift to the transmission (in the center tunnel)?

I have heard from several people who say that VW used different sizes
(length) for the beetles produced from 1968 to 2003.

One guy said that the length was the same for models produced from
68-72 and that the part number was 113 711 155.

This might explain why I keep on having problems shifting into the
right gear. I have a 2003 beetle on a 71 platform.

Thanks for any help,

Marco
Old October 23rd 04, 02:50 AM
Speedy Jim

Marco wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone happen to know if VW used different lengths for rod that
> runs from the gear shift to the transmission (in the center tunnel)?
>
> I have heard from several people who say that VW used different sizes
> (length) for the beetles produced from 1968 to 2003.
>
> One guy said that the length was the same for models produced from
> 68-72 and that the part number was 113 711 155.
>
> This might explain why I keep on having problems shifting into the
> right gear. I have a 2003 beetle on a 71 platform.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Marco

They did use different lengths and I think your guy is right.
In '73 the new seats were introduced and the shift lever was
moved.
I'd be surprised though if someone went to all the trouble of
substituting a shift rod when they built up the car.
IOW, look for other problems first.

Speedy Jim

Old October 23rd 04, 03:54 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: Marco

>This might explain why I keep on having problems shifting into the
>right gear. I have a 2003 beetle on a 71 platform.

if the entire chassis is 71, then the shift rod should be too....so unless they
placed the 2003 shiftrod(not likely) in the early pan, this won't be your
problem...
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old October 23rd 04, 02:15 PM
Marco

My entire chassis is a restored 71 one. I have seen pictures how this
company restored the chassis and from what I remember all moveable
parts were removed. I don't remember seeing a stick shift. So I assume
that the shift rod was also removed. It looks fairly new to me when I
looked at it the other day.

It might sound stupid, but I am almost afraid that those guys put a
2003 shift rod into a 71 tunnel. Would not surprise me.

My assumption is also confirmed by the fact that someone else had the
same problem with a car that he bought from the this company. He was
able to move the coupler and put it forward on the shift rod and now
his shifting problems are solved.

I think I might be on to something. It may also be combined with the
fact the the shifter was not installed/adjusted correctly. As I just
found out, it has to be installed in 2nd gear and with an angle of 11
degrees and then you have to move the adjuster plate into the right
position before you tighten the screws.

When I removed the shifter last weekend and put it back on (at that
time I didn't know about the 2nd gear and 11 degrees thing), I guess I
must have made something right. Whereas I was not able to put it into
any gear, I can now put it into 2nd gear and neutral. I will check it
again this weekend and maybe get closer to a resolution.

If you think the reason for my shifting problems could be somehting
else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Marco

Old October 23rd 04, 08:40 PM
Peter

"Marco" =t> wrote in message
> It might sound stupid, but I am almost afraid that those guys put a
> 2003 shift rod into a 71 tunnel. Would not surprise me.

I don't think it is possible to fit a late rod to an earlier chassis and
have it all line up so that the gear lever could be installed. The problem
must lie in the lever adjustment.