Flaps & Thermostat

Old September 5th 05, 04:42 PM
Joao Eliseu

Default Flaps & Thermostat

While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I took a look
on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was fixed only
by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be attached to the
support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move the rod
up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround and I
notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position where the
flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can’t be sure, because I can’t see the
inside of the surround.
My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

Joao
Old September 5th 05, 04:42 PM
Remco

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I took a look
> on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was fixed only
> by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be attached to the
> support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move the rod
> up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround and I
> notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position where the
> flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I can't see the
> inside of the surround.
> My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
closed again.

Remco

Old September 5th 05, 05:22 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Remco" > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I

>took a look
>> on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was fixed

>only
>> by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be attached

>to the
>> support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move

>the rod
>> up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround

>and I
>> notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position where

>the
>> flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I can't

>see the
>> inside of the surround.
>> My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

>After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
>to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
>On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
>out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
>closed again.
>
>Remco
>

>> Joao

Joao
Old September 5th 05, 05:28 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Remco" > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I

>took a look
>> on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was fixed

>only
>> by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be attached

>to the
>> support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move

>the rod
>> up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround

>and I
>> notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position where

>the
>> flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I can't

>see the
>> inside of the surround.
>> My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

>After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
>to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
>On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
>out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
>closed again.
>
>Remco

Thanks for you reply
This a usual problem when we ask a pro to do some work on you car. Time is money,
so when they see that it will take a long time to detect a problem they and mess
with the things instead of trying to find why they don't work.

Joao
Old September 5th 05, 05:37 PM
Jan Andersson

Remco wrote:
> Joao Eliseu wrote:
>
>>While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I took a look
>>on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was fixed only
>>by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be attached to the
>>support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move the rod
>>up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround and I
>>notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position where the
>>flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I can't see the
>>inside of the surround.
>>My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

> After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
> to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
> On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
> out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
> closed again.
>
> Remco

You should feel the spring resisting movement when you pull down on the
rod from under the cylinders, and when you release the rod, it should
snap back up because of teh return spring pulling it constantly

Jan
Old September 5th 05, 06:08 PM
remco

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> Remco wrote:
> > Joao Eliseu wrote:
> >
> >>While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I

took a look
> >>on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was

fixed only
> >>by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be

attached to the
> >>support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move

the rod
> >>up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the

surround and I
> >>notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position

where the
> >>flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I can't

see the
> >>inside of the surround.
> >>My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

> > After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
> > to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
> > On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
> > out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
> > closed again.
> >
> > Remco

> You should feel the spring resisting movement when you pull down on the
> rod from under the cylinders, and when you release the rod, it should
> snap back up because of teh return spring pulling it constantly
>
> Jan

Mine flipped back when released. My hands were greasy and slippery, so used
a needlenose to grab the rod. It had resistance, but could pull it open
pretty easily.

Old September 5th 05, 06:16 PM
remco

"remco" > wrote in message
> "Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> > Remco wrote:

> took a look

> fixed only

> attached to the

move
> the rod

> surround and I

> where the

can't
> see the
> > >

> > > After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
> > > to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to

do).
> > > On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
> > > out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
> > > closed again.
> > >
> > > Remco

> > You should feel the spring resisting movement when you pull down on the
> > rod from under the cylinders, and when you release the rod, it should
> > snap back up because of teh return spring pulling it constantly
> >
> > Jan

> Mine flipped back when released. My hands were greasy and slippery, so

used
> a needlenose to grab the rod. It had resistance, but could pull it open
> pretty easily.

Pull closed, I meant.

Old September 5th 05, 06:58 PM
Joao Eliseu

Jan Andersson > wrote:
>Remco wrote:
>> Joao Eliseu wrote:
>>
>>>While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I

>took a look
>>>on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was fixed

>only
>>>by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be attached

>to the
>>>support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move

>the rod
>>>up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround

>and I
>>>notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position where

>the
>>>flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I can't

>see the
>>>inside of the surround.
>>>My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

>> After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
>> to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
>> On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
>> out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
>> closed again.
>>
>> Remco

>You should feel the spring resisting movement when you pull down on the
>rod from under the cylinders, and when you release the rod, it should
>snap back up because of teh return spring pulling it constantly
>
>Jan

I should but I can not feel the spring but it is there. It is hard to pull and push
the rod. I can ear a noise like metal working on metal without lube. The guy that
rebuilt the engine I will pull the engine to check the torque of the heads and I
what to be there to check a few things that I suspect that are not correct.
Thanks for you reply

Joao
Old September 5th 05, 10:45 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Remco" > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I

>took a look
>> on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was fixed

>only
>> by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be attached

>to the
>> support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move

>the rod
>> up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround

>and I
>> notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position where

>the
>> flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I can't

>see the
>> inside of the surround.
>> My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

>After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
>to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
>On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
>out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
>closed again.
>
>Remco

When I got home and after repairing my TV (It was black and white) I went to the
garage to confirm the flaps/thermostat issue.
When I tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround it was hard as I told
before, but I didn’t test after removing the thermostat. Without the thermostat
it is not hard to move but I only can move the assembly 10mm. I think that it is
not enough. Looking under the car I notice that the rod isn’t alight with the thermostat
bracket slot.

1- With the thermostat was hard to move assembly in first place, because the rod
was pressed against the bracket slot.

2-It didn’t move more that 10mm without it, because the rod hit to top of the bracket
instead of passing inside the slot of the bracket.

I found the problem now I have to fix it. May be that’s why, I had a feeling that
the engine was a little hot than the normal as I posted here a few weeks

Joao
Old September 6th 05, 01:46 AM
remco

"Joao Eliseu" > wrote in message

> "Remco" > wrote:
> >Joao Eliseu wrote:
> >> While I was replacing my heater cables and since I was under the car, I

> >took a look
> >> on the thermostat. I was surprised when I fond that the thermostat was

fixed
> >only
> >> by the rod that comes between the cylinder #1 and #3. It should be

attached
> >to the
> >> support by a screw and a nut. I took the thermostat out and try to move

> >the rod
> >> up and down. I also tried to move the flaps from the front of the

surround
> >and I
> >> notice that it is hard to move the assembly. I put it on the position

where
> >the
> >> flaps are supposed to be full open, but I can't be sure, because I

can't
> >see the
> >> inside of the surround.
> >> My question is: Should the assembly move smooth as I think it should?

> >After a recent question on this forum on flaps, I looked at my engine
> >to understand how the they work (my engine is out so it is easy to do).
> >On mine, they open and close pretty easily: When I took the thermostat
> >out, they just flipped open. When I tugged on the rod slightly, they
> >closed again.
> >
> >Remco
> >

> When I got home and after repairing my TV (It was black and white) I went

to the
> garage to confirm the flaps/thermostat issue.
> When I tried to move the flaps from the front of the surround it was hard

as I told
> before, but I didn't test after removing the thermostat. Without the

thermostat
> it is not hard to move but I only can move the assembly 10mm. I think that

it is
> not enough. Looking under the car I notice that the rod isn't alight with

the thermostat
> bracket slot.
>
> 1- With the thermostat was hard to move assembly in first place, because

the rod
> was pressed against the bracket slot.
>
> 2-It didn't move more that 10mm without it, because the rod hit to top of

the bracket
> instead of passing inside the slot of the bracket.
>
> I found the problem now I have to fix it. May be that's why, I had a

feeling that
> the engine was a little hot than the normal as I posted here a few weeks

Wow, you are in touch with your bug, Joao, to notice it running hot without
any indicator other than your gut feeling!
Good you got that fixed quickly.

Remco