Balance weights affecting traction control?

Old January 22nd 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Sly

Default Balance weights affecting traction control?

Just had two new tyres on my A3 and they balanced them with steel
weights, not lead as they are toxic and not allowed to be used any more
incase anyone eats their wheels!

Since then my ASR light flashes when I pull away and has to be turned
off and on in order for me to carry on driving.

Could the weights be affecting the ASR or worse still could it affect
my ABS when I need it most?!

My garage is looking into it, but this could help if they find nothing
and others too in the future.

Thanks

Sly

Old January 22nd 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
PeterD

On 22 Jan 2007 05:02:34 -0800, "Sly" > wrote:

>Just had two new tyres on my A3 and they balanced them with steel
>weights, not lead as they are toxic and not allowed to be used any more
>incase anyone eats their wheels!
>
>Since then my ASR light flashes when I pull away and has to be turned
>off and on in order for me to carry on driving.
>
>Could the weights be affecting the ASR or worse still could it affect
>my ABS when I need it most?!
>
>My garage is looking into it, but this could help if they find nothing
>and others too in the future.
>
>Thanks
>
>Sly

First thought: this guy is nuts. Second thought, maybe not!

OK, so you can't use lead... This is 100% correct, there are numerous
instances of smaller children chewing wheels and ingesting the lead
weights. Shocking but true, I read it on the Internet...

OK, seriously:

Yes, it is *remotely* possible that they are affecting the traction
control especially if they are magnetized! Try to find a heavy metal
other than steel of the same weight and substitute these for your
steel weights. You can stick them on with double sided foam tape
(that's still legal where you are, I hope!) making sure the wheel is
clean first. (One thought on a weight material is stainless steel flat
bar stock). You'll need a scale to weight each weight so your
replacements are the same weight.

And what country now doesn't allow proper wheel weights? I'd like to
avoid that country if possible--I have a low tolerance for extremists!
Old January 22nd 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Chris Bartram

Sly wrote:
> Just had two new tyres on my A3 and they balanced them with steel
> weights, not lead as they are toxic and not allowed to be used any more
> incase anyone eats their wheels!
>
> Since then my ASR light flashes when I pull away and has to be turned
> off and on in order for me to carry on driving.
>
> Could the weights be affecting the ASR or worse still could it affect
> my ABS when I need it most?!
>
> My garage is looking into it, but this could help if they find nothing
> and others too in the future.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sly

No, your new tyres are slippy and need to bed in. Take it easy for a
while. Steel weights are standard these days (EU Directive). It meant I
couldn't have stick-on weights on my A3 with 15" wheels as they fouled
the calipers.
Old January 22nd 07, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ronald

"Sly" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just had two new tyres on my A3 and they balanced them with steel
> weights, not lead as they are toxic and not allowed to be used any more
> incase anyone eats their wheels!
>
> Since then my ASR light flashes when I pull away and has to be turned
> off and on in order for me to carry on driving.
>
> Could the weights be affecting the ASR or worse still could it affect
> my ABS when I need it most?!
>
> My garage is looking into it, but this could help if they find nothing
> and others too in the future.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sly

I guess the ASR is correct; new tires have very little grip and wheels will
spin.

Ronald

Old January 22nd 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ

I had an ABS light after changing wheel bearings. VAG system showed left front
with a low reading compared to the other three wheels until it reached ten mph.

Turned out that the ABS sensor had been bumped so that it had twisted about 15
degrees out spec. I twisted it back straight and the problem was fixed.

Old January 23rd 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Sly

> And what country now doesn't allow proper wheel weights? I'd like to
> avoid that country if possible--I have a low tolerance for extremists!

It's the UK I'm afraid. We just don't like lead no more.

Old January 23rd 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Sly

> No, your new tyres are slippy and need to bed in. Take it easy for a
> while. Steel weights are standard these days (EU Directive). It meant I
> couldn't have stick-on weights on my A3 with 15" wheels as they fouled
> the calipers.

Took the family to Wales for the weekend so have covered over 500 miles
and it still occurs. It is indeed tight with the calipers, the mechanic
tried sticking one weight on the other and that would have fouled so he
had to stick them alongside each other. They're right in the cap
between the spokes as well, quite unsightly but they'll soon muddy up
to match the rest of the car!

Old January 23rd 07, 01:05 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Sly

> I had an ABS light after changing wheel bearings. VAG system showed left front
> with a low reading compared to the other three wheels until it reached ten mph.
>
> Turned out that the ABS sensor had been bumped so that it had twisted about 15
> degrees out spec. I twisted it back straight and the problem was fixed.

I watched the guys doing the job, friendly local garage, so I'm sure
there was no damage.
It was purely wheel off, wheel on again. I will check though if all
else fails, thanks.

Old January 23rd 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Sly

I meant Gap!

What was the alternative to stick on weights for you? If you don't mind
me asking!

Old January 23rd 07, 09:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Chris Bartram

Sly wrote:
> I meant Gap!
>
> What was the alternative to stick on weights for you? If you don't mind
> me asking!

Normal clip-on ones that they hammer over the rim. I don't like them as
they *always* mark the rim a little, but had no choice.

abs and traction control both lit - help!! Hinesh Patel BMW 2 August 21st 06 09:57 PM
URGENT - 1996 740IL Traction Control John Moriarity BMW 2 November 27th 04 07:32 AM
Traction Control TF Corvette 8 November 7th 04 08:42 PM
traction control adder BMW 1 November 3rd 04 06:42 PM