2001 S4 nearing 50k miles...

Old May 14th 04, 10:29 PM
BDWood

Default 2001 S4 nearing 50k miles...

Hello all.

Been lurking for a bit, after having recently bought a 2001 S4 with
about 45k miles on it. First of all...what a fabulous car. I believe
I will definitely enjoy this beast.

Anyway, three primary questions...

First is what are the major maintenance/wear/service items I should
pay very close attention to as I get closer to the 50k warranty mark.
I want to get the dealer to cover as much as possible, so if I know
what to look for or have them look for that wouldn't hurt.

Second question is what the consensus is regarding extended warranties
on this car. I'm generally not a big believer in extended warranties,
as if they made sense for the car owner on average the companies that
offer them wouldn't...so obviously they make money. The question is
whether this particular year/model is one that tends to be on the good
side or bad side of that curve.

Third, I know there are a lot of different chip manufacturers, and I'm
wondering also what the word is on whether some warrant more attention
than others. Are there any that have a bad reputation? Basically, if
you have one, let me know how you like it and whether you'd buy the
same one again.

That's it for now. I know these issues have probably been hashed out
before, and in running searches I find bits and pieces, but I thought
I'd try to boil it down to a few questions.

Thanks in advance

BDWood
01 S4
Old May 14th 04, 11:28 PM
David Tong

I have a 00 S4 w/ 6SP and I am keeping it for a very long time.

You can find a lot of info from http://www.audiworld.com/search/. Please use
the search function since all of your questions have been discussed many
times there.

David

Old May 15th 04, 01:57 AM
BDWood

On Fri, 14 May 2004 22:28:07 GMT, "David Tong" >
wrote:

>I have a 00 S4 w/ 6SP and I am keeping it for a very long time.
>
>You can find a lot of info from http://www.audiworld.com/search/. Please use
>the search function since all of your questions have been discussed many
>times there.
>
>David

That's basically the answer I figured I'd get...not sure why I asked
after all.

BDWood

.. .

Old May 15th 04, 05:56 AM
Adam Schwartz

In article >,
BDWood > wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Been lurking for a bit, after having recently bought a 2001 S4 with
> about 45k miles on it. First of all...what a fabulous car. I believe
> I will definitely enjoy this beast.
>
> Anyway, three primary questions...
>
> First is what are the major maintenance/wear/service items I should
> pay very close attention to as I get closer to the 50k warranty mark.
> I want to get the dealer to cover as much as possible, so if I know
> what to look for or have them look for that wouldn't hurt.
>
> Second question is what the consensus is regarding extended warranties
> on this car. I'm generally not a big believer in extended warranties,
> as if they made sense for the car owner on average the companies that
> offer them wouldn't...so obviously they make money. The question is
> whether this particular year/model is one that tends to be on the good
> side or bad side of that curve.
>
> Third, I know there are a lot of different chip manufacturers, and I'm
> wondering also what the word is on whether some warrant more attention
> than others. Are there any that have a bad reputation? Basically, if
> you have one, let me know how you like it and whether you'd buy the
> same one again.
>
> That's it for now. I know these issues have probably been hashed out
> before, and in running searches I find bits and pieces, but I thought
> I'd try to boil it down to a few questions.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> BDWood
> 01 S4

Hi,
when mine was about to end the factory warranty, I just made an
appointment, and had them go over the whole car. They found an oil leak
that I didnt know about... I also asked them to check the ball joints,
control arm bushings... I think they are weak on the whole A4 line.
Maybe hope your turbos blow just before the warranty... heheheh

As for after market warranty... I got one. Glad I did. I have almost
broken even, and there is a few more years and 30k miles left to the
warranty. I think of it as insurance in case anything really bad goes.
if it ends up costing me a few hundred in the end, then fine... I had it
if I really needed it... And they did pay for a few odd things here and
there... Its a very expensive car if you loose a turbo, tranny or major
engine part...

I am chipped with an APR. I like their technology. GIAC is pretty cool
too. But I have an APR. I like the flip switch. I can turn it down if I
am giving the car to my dad, or girlfriend.. Or to the shop. I needed to
do DV's too, as the original 108 part number would leak boost once I
upped it with the chip. I used a Bosch Sport 110 - same part porsche
uses on the turbo 911. It holds the boost just fine. And they are cheap
when comapred to the aluminum aftermarket ones.

I also blew my TBB - repalced it with a kevlar one from ECS. next might
be a clutch. I am at 72k and its starting to get weak. I want it to last
nother year. At least...

I plan to keep this car till about 120k. which should be a few more
years.

good luck,

Adam
Old May 17th 04, 11:45 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
BDWood > wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>Been lurking for a bit, after having recently bought a 2001 S4 with
>about 45k miles on it. First of all...what a fabulous car. I believe
>I will definitely enjoy this beast.
>
>Anyway, three primary questions...
>
>First is what are the major maintenance/wear/service items I should
>pay very close attention to as I get closer to the 50k warranty mark.
>I want to get the dealer to cover as much as possible, so if I know
>what to look for or have them look for that wouldn't hurt.

When I took my 2001 S4 in for the last free service at 48,000 the
dealer fixed several minor problems that they found. I can pull out
the invoice if you want the details. I think rear differential seals
were a part they said tended to fail. They said they looked closely
at the car because this would be my last free service under warranty.
(In addition to being nice to a customer, they have a motive to find
things to fix because Audi is paying for it at 48K while I might not
be so generous with my wallet at 60K.) If this is standard practice
you might not need to worry about details. Just remind them that your
service visit is the last before 50K.

--
John Carr )