Cold starting problem - '89 CRX Si

Old December 9th 04, 05:47 AM
James Masologites

Default Cold starting problem - '89 CRX Si

I have a 1989 CRX Si with MPFI. When warm, it starts up in one crank and
catches strongly, no problem. However, when its sat for a while and
become cold, it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds of cranking for the engine
to catch, and even then, it kind of "burbles" to life (doesn't catch
crisply).
Another thing that confused me that might be related is that the fuel
filter was not pressurized when I changed it. Warnings all over the
place about releaving pressure and that it would spray everywhere, and I
got nothing at all. This was with the engine cold.
Could the rail be losing fuel pressure gradually? would this cause the
symptoms i'm getting?
Old December 9th 04, 08:14 AM
Chopface

James Masologites wrote:
> I have a 1989 CRX Si with MPFI. When warm, it starts up in one crank and
> catches strongly, no problem. However, when its sat for a while and
> become cold, it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds of cranking for the engine
> to catch, and even then, it kind of "burbles" to life (doesn't catch
> crisply).
> Another thing that confused me that might be related is that the fuel
> filter was not pressurized when I changed it. Warnings all over the
> place about releaving pressure and that it would spray everywhere, and I
> got nothing at all. This was with the engine cold.
> Could the rail be losing fuel pressure gradually? would this cause the
> symptoms i'm getting?

I find my '91 Civic always starts immediately if I turn the key 'on' for
a couple seconds and wait for the instrument panel warning lights to go
off before I turn the key all the way and start it. You should be able
to hear the fuel pump(in the gas tank) run for those couple of seconds.
Could your gas cap also not be sealing correctly?
Old December 9th 04, 11:18 AM
Burt Squareman

"James Masologites" > wrote in message

> I have a 1989 CRX Si with MPFI. When warm, it starts up in one crank and
> catches strongly, no problem. However, when its sat for a while and
> become cold, it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds of cranking for the engine
> to catch, and even then, it kind of "burbles" to life (doesn't catch
> crisply).Another thing that confused me that might be related is that the fuel
> filter was not pressurized when I changed it. Warnings all over the
> place about releaving pressure and that it would spray everywhere, and I
> got nothing at all. This was with the engine cold.
> Could the rail be losing fuel pressure gradually? would this cause the
> symptoms i'm getting?

Sounds like an unstable fuel pressure. Probably from fuel pump check
valve or fuel pressure regulator. Clamp the fuel return line with a piece of
cloth and pair of locking pliers. If the symptom is still there, the fuel pump is
loosing it.