Brake booster question

Old December 9th 04, 06:44 PM
Henry H. Hansteen

Default Brake booster question

My 2001 Ranger has had a long, soft pedal and weak brakes for quite
a while. The dealer replaced the shoes, pads, master cylinder, and
the ABS unit. Four dealer visits later, the brakes still suck.
Now they want to replace the booster. I don't see how a bad booster
could cause long pedal travel, though. Can't they just put a vacuum
to the booster and if it holds the vacuum, that means it's working?
Also, does anyone know how the front to read proportioning valve
works on a 4x4 Ranger with 4 wheel anti-lock? Does it compensate for
weight in the bed? If so, how?
Thanks,
Henry
Old December 9th 04, 07:55 PM
Mike Walsh

A nonfunctioning booster e.g. with no vacuum will will result in a short, hard pedal. I have seen vehicles with the same problem as yours and have replaced all the items that you have without success, but have not changed the booster because of high cost. A proportioning valve limits hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes and is supposed to keep the rear brakes from locking up. Most are not well designed; they either don't work or don't keep pressure low enough to keep the brakes from locking on an unloaded vehicle. Better to have ABS to keep the brakes from locking.

--

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.