how does the map get into the radio?

Old July 11th 18, 05:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default how does the map get into the radio?

In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?

What if you want to install the next year's version?

My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
Maybe it only has more recent stores.

And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
DVDs anymore. ??

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
Old July 11th 18, 02:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
may not be useful depending on where you live.

Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up
to date than rural.

Old July 11th 18, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:43:26 -0600, rbowman
> wrote:

>On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

>Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

Is it a miracle to tell me where I am?

>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

>There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
>less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
>wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
>may not be useful depending on where you live.

I don't want another device, just a radio which may or may not have GPS.

I hadn't thoughty about traffic updates, but that would definitely
require a receiver and a higher price. There is pretty much only one
route to take to work, so knowing about the traffic doesn't help.

In Chicago where the streets are on a grid, one can just take a parallel
street if there is traffic, but not here.

>Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up
>to date than rural.

This DVD does have more streets within Baltimore, but I have a paper
atlas of Baltimore which has all that too, and more, and I rarely go
some place I haven't been to 10 times. The DVD wasn't up to date on
the rural areas even when the car was made. At least it doesn't have
enough detail.
Old July 11th 18, 03:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ralph Mowery

In article >, NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>
> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

Get the radio without it.

I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
free.

Old July 11th 18, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
> wrote:

>In article >, NONONOmisc07
says...

>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>
>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
>>

>Get the radio without it.

That would save money, and I'm more likely to find a radio with real
buttons, which are easier to use when driving.

>I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
>have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
>transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

Thank you for answering my question!

>As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
>free.

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

Thanks.
Old July 11th 18, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ralph Mowery

In article >, NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

> I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
> have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
> detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
> not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
updated.

I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
need the GPS option for that.

I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
are on it. So it is worthless.
They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
bought.

I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.

Old July 11th 18, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:06:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery
> wrote:

>In article >, NONONOmisc07
says...

>> I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
>> have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
>> detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
>> not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.
>>

>The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
>updated.
>
>I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
>USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
>need the GPS option for that.

Right. I do that too. But not from a port right in the radio. I have
to plug something into the cigarette lighter. Despite that it works,
that was another reason to get a new radio, but I twisted the thing 90
degrees and now I can see the buttons and it's pretty easy to replay a
song or skip to the next song.

>I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
>From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
>cell phone.

Clever. I didn't have a specific method in mind, but I thought there
would be some 4th method by now. A shame it doesn't work better.

>You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
>which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
>are on it. So it is worthless.

Yes. I often see things that make me turn off the route.

Old July 11th 18, 05:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Frank

On 7/11/2018 11:06 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article >, NONONOmisc07
> @bigfoot.com says...
>>
>> I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
>> have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
>> detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
>> not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.
>>

> The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
> updated.
>
> I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
> USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
> need the GPS option for that.
>
> I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
> From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
> cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
> which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
> are on it. So it is worthless.
> They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
> bought.
>
> I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
> it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
> it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.

I have a Garmin too with lifetime maps and traffic but had to fight with
it yesterday having to route around a road closure when it kept trying
to reroute me back to it. Not the first time I've either had to ignore
it or turn it off.

Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as
much as four times a year. It is not just road changes but new business
openings and business addresses changing.
Old July 11th 18, 06:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:32:56 -0400, Frank <"frank
> wrote:

>On 7/11/2018 11:06 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>> In article >, NONONOmisc07
>> @bigfoot.com says...
>>>
>>> I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
>>> have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
>>> detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
>>> not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.
>>>

>> The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
>> updated.
>>
>> I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
>> USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
>> need the GPS option for that.
>>
>> I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
>> From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
>> cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
>> which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
>> are on it. So it is worthless.
>> They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
>> bought.
>>
>> I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
>> it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
>> it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.
>>

>I have a Garmin too with lifetime maps and traffic but had to fight with
>it yesterday having to route around a road closure when it kept trying
>to reroute me back to it. Not the first time I've either had to ignore
>it or turn it off.
>
>Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
>to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as

Wow. I'd rather be lost than spend $200.

I mean, they found the Thai cavers. Surely someone would find me
eventually.

Old July 11th 18, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:

> Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
> to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4.Â* Garmin maps may be updated as
> much as four times a year.Â* It is not just road changes but new business
> openings and business addresses changing.

Its a real money make for them. Most cars are $100 to $200. My car has
3 years included or I'd not bother.