Rear suspension problem on minivan

Old August 9th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
PaxPerPoten

Default Rear suspension problem on minivan

Anyone have information on how to beef up the rear suspension on a Dodge
minivan for trailer towing. My problem is with van fully loaded the
Hitch rides too low and every dip creates contact with pavement. Trailer
is quite light, but could run up to a thousand lbs of cargo in the future.
ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster
Old August 9th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"PaxPerPoten" > wrote in message

> Anyone have information on how to beef up the rear suspension on a Dodge
> minivan for trailer towing. My problem is with van fully loaded the Hitch
> rides too low and every dip creates contact with pavement. Trailer is
> quite light, but could run up to a thousand lbs of cargo in the future.

Load lever hitch. Be aware that the limits on the tongue weight and total
weight of the package don't change.

Transmission cooler and temp gage is a wise investment

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1107258...pes&va r=sbar

Old August 9th 11, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
PaxPerPoten

On 8/8/2011 7:53 PM, NotMe wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>

>> Anyone have information on how to beef up the rear suspension on a Dodge
>> minivan for trailer towing. My problem is with van fully loaded the Hitch
>> rides too low and every dip creates contact with pavement. Trailer is
>> quite light, but could run up to a thousand lbs of cargo in the future.

> Load lever hitch.

Load leveler.

That doesn't do much good when you have 6 people in the vehicle and no
trailer. The receiver will hit pavement over every driveway. The van
already has the factory trailer package. But the single leaf spring is a
damned joke and the same as for the non trailer package.

Be aware that the limits on the tongue weight and total
> weight of the package don't change.

Taken into consideration.

Thanks for trying though.

Old August 9th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"PaxPerPoten" > wrote in message
> On 8/8/2011 7:53 PM, NotMe wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>

>>> Anyone have information on how to beef up the rear suspension on a Dodge
>>> minivan for trailer towing. My problem is with van fully loaded the
>>> Hitch
>>> rides too low and every dip creates contact with pavement. Trailer is
>>> quite light, but could run up to a thousand lbs of cargo in the future.

>> Load lever hitch.

> Load leveler.
>

> That doesn't do much good when you have 6 people in the vehicle and no
> trailer. The receiver will hit pavement over every driveway. The van
> already has the factory trailer package. But the single leaf spring is a
> damned joke and the same as for the non trailer package.

Six people in a mini van and you're so close to the load limit that would
preclude any useful cargo in a trailer.

<snip>

Old August 10th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
PaxPerPoten

On 8/9/2011 12:28 PM, NotMe wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> Load lever hitch.

>> Load leveler.
>>

>> That doesn't do much good when you have 6 people in the vehicle and no
>> trailer. The receiver will hit pavement over every driveway. The van
>> already has the factory trailer package. But the single leaf spring is a
>> damned joke and the same as for the non trailer package.

> Six people in a mini van and you're so close to the load limit that would
> preclude any useful cargo in a trailer.

Sooo? It still makes the Hitch drag without a trailer. I need to resolve
that problem or replace the van with something heavier. I prefer the
Minivan though.

Old August 10th 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_24_]

that's usually what kills caravan transmissions

Old August 10th 11, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NotMe

"PaxPerPoten" > wrote in message
> On 8/9/2011 12:28 PM, NotMe wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Load leveler.
>>>

>>> That doesn't do much good when you have 6 people in the vehicle and no
>>> trailer. The receiver will hit pavement over every driveway. The van
>>> already has the factory trailer package. But the single leaf spring is a
>>> damned joke and the same as for the non trailer package.

>> Six people in a mini van and you're so close to the load limit that would
>> preclude any useful cargo in a trailer.

> Sooo? It still makes the Hitch drag without a trailer. I need to resolve
> that problem or replace the van with something heavier. I prefer the
> Minivan though.

Sell the van and get something load appropriate or wait until the
transmission dies THEN get something load appropriate.

Pick one ... the result is the same.

Old August 10th 11, 10:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
SRN

"PaxPerPoten" > wrote in message

> Anyone have information on how to beef up the rear suspension on a Dodge
> minivan for trailer towing. My problem is with van fully loaded the Hitch
> rides too low and every dip creates contact with pavement. Trailer is
> quite light, but could run up to a thousand lbs of cargo in the future.
> --

Look into adding an air lift suspension kit in the rear. I installed one on
my old 1991 Grand Voyager years ago when I used it for delivery carrying
heavy loads. I carried a bicycle pump with me to pump up the airbags when
needed. Don't scrimp on price, buy the beefiest system you can find for long
term reliability.

Old August 10th 11, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_24_]

Chrysler used to upgrade the minivans in Colorado with the "high altitude
package" when customers had issues. they had a bigger radiator, trans
cooler and two upgraded and larger cooling fans.

that might help your trans but these were heavy duty transmissions to begin
with. Also keep in mind the vehicle needs to be 1.5 times heavier than the
towed load to make sure the load doesn't start fishtailing.

your rear suspension choices might be limited on whether or not you have 3rd
row 'sto n go"

Old August 10th 11, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_24_]

sorry should say NOT a heavy duty trans

"Rob" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> Chrysler used to upgrade the minivans in Colorado with the "high altitude
> package" when customers had issues. they had a bigger radiator, trans
> cooler and two upgraded and larger cooling fans.
>

> that might help your trans but these were heavy duty transmissions to
> begin with. Also keep in mind the vehicle needs to be 1.5 times heavier
> than the towed load to make sure the load doesn't start fishtailing.
>

> your rear suspension choices might be limited on whether or not you have
> 3rd row 'sto n go"
>

> "NotMe" > wrote in message

>>> Sooo? It still makes the Hitch drag without a trailer. I need to resolve
>>> that problem or replace the van with something heavier. I prefer the
>>> Minivan though.
>>>>

>> Sell the van and get something load appropriate or wait until the
>> transmission dies THEN get something load appropriate.
>>
>> Pick one ... the result is the same.

'94 minivan rear wiper problems [email protected] Chrysler 5 January 8th 07 04:49 AM
'70 Baja Bug Rear suspension problem Mark VW air cooled 2 June 5th 06 06:47 PM
Rear suspension problem Robin BMW 6 November 22nd 05 12:49 PM
92 Dodge minivan strange problem James Deen Dodge 3 May 26th 05 10:17 PM
Aftermarket Rear Defroster for minivan BeeP Chrysler 5 February 11th 05 12:55 AM